Doctor commenting on my weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I just returned from my 28 week doctor appnt check-up.  It was a different doctor as mine was on holiday and she exclaimed "Oh, wow you've gained 7 pounds over the past 4 weeks!"  "Do you have a bit of a sweet tooth?? " she says in this really sickly sweet voice.

Then she proceeds to tell me I'm only supposed to gain no more than 4 pounds over 4 weeks and that I need to limit my sugar intake, no pop, watch the white starchy, blah blah, blah.  "And don't forget to exercise!" She chimes in at the end!

Seriously?!!   I don't need to tell you ladies my weight, but I'm not overweight, don't look it and never have been. I exercise almost daily, and yes, I enjoy ice cream and other sweets - but otherwise eat a pretty balanced, healthy diet.

My weight gain has been average up to now and I thought it was a little unecessary for doc to make comments  about a couple extra pounds as if I'm unaware of what healthy living is. Did she even notice my actual size?!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 PM

I don't think doctors realize how they sound sometimes.

Maternal weight strikes me as overemphasized these days. If the baby seems healthy, and mom seems healthy...a couple of pounds this way or that probably aren't that important.

I have the opposite problem. I haven't gained as much weight as I'm "supposed to" by now. I was diagnosed with mild GD, so I have to see a diabetes nurse every two weeks, and at every appointment she plots my weight out on a graph. If I don't fall onto the curve they've set for me...then we have to pick through my diet in detail and figure out where to add more calories and fat. eyesroll.gif

#3 of 12 Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 PM

hug2.gif That was harsh.  I am overweight and I've been gaining a little more than the standard "one pound a week" and my midwife still hasn't weighed me at her office, bless her.  She sees that I don't have signs of pre-e or GD and writes down the weight I've measured at home (if I remember to do it before the appointment).  Sounds like this sub doc has her brain on textbook autopilot and didn't really look at you.

Oh and I wanted to add that the summer heat has made me more swollen over all, so I'm pretty sure those extra, extra pounds could just be water weight.  My midwife recommends dissolving a little bit of natural sea salt in my water bottle to drink throughout the day.

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#4 of 12 Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I agree, it's totally stupid and arbitrary.  It's not like our bodies follow some exact medical text book!  I have always started my pregnancies thin and then I gain weight like crazy.  I'm 27 weeks and have gained at least 27-28lbs already.  I'm lucky to have midwives that don't concentrate on weight, but focus more on health.  I'm very healthy, I just gain 45-50lbs while I'm pregnant.  It happens every time, it's just what MY body does.  I think you should ignore her comments and know within yourself that you're healthy and fine. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#5 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I've gained at least 35lbs myself..its just what my body does while pregnant. Then I produce enough milk for a litter and shrink right back down. I was just wondering today if heat contributed to swelling! I feel more swollen now at 29 weeks than I ever was in previous pregnancies, my "measuring stick" being ring tightness. I took mine off today greensad.gif I know they never got this tight last pregnancy, but that was a may baby, so quite cool weather only barely heating up closer to the birth. I think I'll try the sea salt trick. Does it have to be water or is dilluted juice okay? I think i'd need something to mask the salt taste

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That's TERRIBLE! I would have been like EXCUSE you? That's just plain rude. This doctor doesn't sound like she has very good bedside manner. Cross your fingers for a different on call doctor than this one, if you plan on going to the hospital.

#7 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your words of rational and encouragement.  I think I may say something next visit to my original doctor if she's there.  Knowing how delicate a topic body image is for women - I think we need to be mindful when addressing 2-3 extra pounds and focus instead on health as opposed to the textbook definitions of weight gain (like you said Caracol8).

Phew - anyway I'm over it and eating as I usually do - Does anyone have any alternatives to iron supplements that they would recommend? The doc said I'm anemic and need to take some iron supplements -  I'm taking Chlorophyll and thinking about Floradix.....

#8 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Sorry that happened to you!  It's so infuriating that doctors AND midwives often cannot think past the linear.  Some of us gain and stop, gain and stop.  These lulls and spurts have always been a cause for concern with my care provider and it's just so frustrating.  I would absolutely say something at your next appointment to make sure that your feelings are validated.

As for iron, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Floradix.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#9 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Wow, that was rude of her! I know that on my digital home scale my weight can vary 2-3 lbs. depending on the time of day, what I'm wearing, whether or not I just peed, etc. It's not a precise science!

Did you respond to her little health speech at all? I would have probably been too much in shock/embarrassed to say anything, but in my ideal world I would be with it enough to say something like "I'm already eating fairly healthy and exercising daily, so I'm not worried about it." with an annoyed/"polite" smile.

My midwife doesn't weigh me at all, just asks if I have stepped on the scale at home lately. I give her a rough average of what I've been seeing on the scale lately. I gained nothing up until 20 weeks and then have been gaining about a lb. a week.

For iron, I think eating things with Vitamin C can help absorption of iron?

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#10 of 12 Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM

Very annoying... When I had my first prenatal appointment with my previous doctor (I've since switched to a MW) she said that due to my size I should aim to gain NOTHING. dizzy.gif

I'm not sure how I was supposed to do that... I know I'm overweight (started my pregnancy at 207 at 5'7"), but what does that have to do with how my body metabolizes while pregnant? Does a switch automagically flip for us heavy girls and we don't gain weight?! I think not...

At 30 weeks I'm now at 230, so I've gained a little over 20 pounds, but it's been hot this week and I've been PUFFED with a capital P. I bet I'm retaining several pounds of water. 

I'd say don't worry about it. That doctor obviously has weight issues of her own and is projecting on you.

#11 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSwims View Post

Thanks for your words of rational and encouragement.  I think I may say something next visit to my original doctor if she's there.  Knowing how delicate a topic body image is for women - I think we need to be mindful when addressing 2-3 extra pounds and focus instead on health as opposed to the textbook definitions of weight gain (like you said Caracol8).

Phew - anyway I'm over it and eating as I usually do - Does anyone have any alternatives to iron supplements that they would recommend? The doc said I'm anemic and need to take some iron supplements -  I'm taking Chlorophyll and thinking about Floradix.....

Floradix is awesome with some orange juice. You just have to remember not to consume dairy within 3 hours of taking it because it inhibits the absorption of iron. I am always anemic and super tired from mid-second trimester until birth so I notice a HUGE difference when I am taking it religiously!

#12 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I've gained at least 35lbs myself..its just what my body does while pregnant. Then I produce enough milk for a litter and shrink right back down. I was just wondering today if heat contributed to swelling! I feel more swollen now at 29 weeks than I ever was in previous pregnancies, my "measuring stick" being ring tightness. I took mine off today greensad.gif I know they never got this tight last pregnancy, but that was a may baby, so quite cool weather only barely heating up closer to the birth. I think I'll try the sea salt trick. Does it have to be water or is dilluted juice okay? I think i'd need something to mask the salt taste

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I don't see why you couldn't use juice.  In fact my MW suggested putting some lemon slices in my water bottle too - to mask the taste perhaps?  It sounded good to me, so I didn't bother asking her why... d'oh.  If you can get your hands on the natural types of salt like Himalayan rock salt or Utah salt (what I'm using now) that's supposed to be better than white, iodized salt.  The natural salts have a bit of color to them and should be in the spice aisle.  My ratio is just a pinch or so in my full nalgene bottle. Hope it helps! 

Oh, and I've had to take off my rings too greensad.gif  I hope the swelling goes down by late October so I can at least shove my wedding band back on.

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page