Borderline GD test result.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It seems pretty insane to put ANYONE through that test!  I know that a "healthy" person ought to be able to take any amount of sugar and regulate it, but it seems so unfair to put the body through a 12 hour fast and give you a straight shot of 100grams of sugar and expect you to pass?!  That seems as though they are pretty much setting you up to fail...it's also difficult because GD can show up so late OR so early in pregnancy.  It seems like if it is such a concern there ought to be a better way to test.  Not to mention, if you had a "normal" meal and had borderline numbers but don't generally have much of a sweet tooth (or a carb-heavy-tooth) it seems biased to force you to consume WAY more sugar than you would ever consume in even a normal DAY in a period of 5 mins and say, "Oh, look, you have GD!" because if you normally are fairly conscious of your diet you aren't going to spike your blood sugar as high as they just did, right?   I don't know....I know that it can cause more serious problems in some people/babies, and sometimes it can be very difficult to regulate, and I'm not disputing that, but sometimes it just seems like another thing for us pregnant ladies to stress about!

#32 of 32 Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I totally agree.  I wish the standard test was different... There are definitely better options.  Still, I'd never recommend that a mother refuse the test because there may be no symptoms and no risk factors, but undiagnosed and uncontrolled GD is very, very serious.  Not to mention that the risk of having it is fairly high compared to something like GBS where babies don't really get sick from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

It seems pretty insane to put ANYONE through that test!  I know that a "healthy" person ought to be able to take any amount of sugar and regulate it, but it seems so unfair to put the body through a 12 hour fast and give you a straight shot of 100grams of sugar and expect you to pass?!  That seems as though they are pretty much setting you up to fail...it's also difficult because GD can show up so late OR so early in pregnancy.  It seems like if it is such a concern there ought to be a better way to test.  Not to mention, if you had a "normal" meal and had borderline numbers but don't generally have much of a sweet tooth (or a carb-heavy-tooth) it seems biased to force you to consume WAY more sugar than you would ever consume in even a normal DAY in a period of 5 mins and say, "Oh, look, you have GD!" because if you normally are fairly conscious of your diet you aren't going to spike your blood sugar as high as they just did, right?   I don't know....I know that it can cause more serious problems in some people/babies, and sometimes it can be very difficult to regulate, and I'm not disputing that, but sometimes it just seems like another thing for us pregnant ladies to stress about!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page