Borderline GD test result.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I had my GD test today- I opted for the alternative which was a carb-heavy breakfast. Here's some background info about me:

 

This is my second pregnancy- had no GD with first pregnancy at age 24.  I do have a family history of diabetes, and I know this is one of the "risk factors".

I'm 26 now (weird that 25 is the cutoff for being more "at risk" for GD during pregnancy- seems young!) and had this weird feeling during this pregnancy that I'd fail my GD test.  I have no idea why, it was just an instinctual thing.  I have spilled glucose in my urine at my 4 month appt and 6 month appt (it was trace at 6 months but significant at 4).  MW was never concerned since we reviewed my diet and feel that I eat very healthy.  (vegetarian and I restrict my sugar intake- though I do eat a good amount of carbs)

My weight gain has been right on track- I'm up 16lbs from pre-pregnancy weight and I'm 28 weeks pg today.  

Baby measured ~11 days ahead according to 20-week u/s (DS1 was 7lb 9oz at birth, I don't seem to have big babies, DH and I are average height and weight) which I was surprised by, but I've measured a bit small- today (28weeks) I measured 26cm.  

 

So, for the alternative test I was instructed to eat a carb-heavy breakfast (like pancakes) with OJ.  Due to some restaurant circumstances I ate a cinnamon roll and bagel with cream cheese, ~16oz of OJ (wow.)  I walked ~15 mins back to MW office, and my glucose was tested at 2hours.  I felt awful about an hour after eating- pulse felt strong but not fast, and just felt yucky.  Like I said, I don't ever eat super-carb heavy meals and don't eat dessert often (and only a bit if I do).

 

My 2 hr reading was 144- apparently 140 is borderline.  So it wasn't super high, but enough that she wants me to do the 3-hour GTT next week.  

I am a little concerned, mostly I wanted a smooth, problem-free pregnancy (don't we all?)  But she said that only 15% of women go on to fail the 3-hr test.  She is not concerned since she says I "don't look like a GD mom" (maybe because I'm carrying fairly small?) but I still have a lingering fear.  

I don't want to google anything, but I know there are some other mamas who have GD so perhaps you could help me understand what a failed GTT would mean?  I just want to be prepared before I test so I'm not caught off guard if I fail.  I've done some research in the past about it, just because I'm pregnant and I also knew other moms who've had it.  

 

If you have thoughts about the alternative test I did, I'd love to hear those as well.  I don't know how what I ate could have affected my reading, so I'd love to learn more about that. 

 

Thanks!

jbk21 is offline  
#2 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 PM
 
Flor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 5,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine was 147 and I then failed the 3 hour. Sorry to go off topic for a bit, but you know what drives me crazy? The idea that there is "GD mom"!  The only thing that bothers me about this diagnosis is that people will say they don't eat sugar, or they eat super healthy so they know they don't have it. Even my doctor said, "But you are so thin!" The endocronolist says it really has nothing to do with this. It is genetic mostly (my dad has type 2) but really it just has to do with your pancrease reacting to pregnancy hormones and it could happen to anyone. I feel embarassed to tell people I have it because they think it's my fault. There is a GD support thread on the "I'm Pregnant" forum that is full of healthy MDC moms with GD.

 

Back on topic-- Well, I took the 3 hours (which was actually 4 :)) Had to fast from 8pm then get blood drawn at 8, wait about an hour, drink flat soda stuff, wait an hour, blood draw,etc. I failed.  My doctors assured me that most people control it with diet and it is no big deal. I started the diet. It is ok. Lots of protein, very limited or no pasta, rice, fruit, milk, bread. Not fun but doable. I have to check my blood 4 x a day, which sounded horrrible, but has been fine. Some people, however, just still need more insulin, and that turns out to be me. My blood sugar is high in the morning when I first wake up and not amount of tweeking the diet has changed that, so I have to start insulin injections next week. I'm so sad about the whole situation, but what can you do? Most people just do the diet and are fine. And most people pass the 3 hour! Good luck!

Flor is offline  
#3 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what she meant by the comment- perhaps just that I don't have all that many symptoms or risk factors?  Who knows.  I think she was trying to make me feel better because I was pretty bummed about it.  I agree with what you're saying, and I would never recommend that a mother refuse the test for that very reason- I am a healthy vegetarian and I would have never expected to fail the test.  

 

I can understand why you'd be embarrassed to talk about it- if I am diagnosed I will be nervous to mention it too!  I totally judged GD moms before... mostly because the moms I knew really were unhealthy- lots of soda and fast food.  Not that that makes it okay that I judged.....  

 

I'm sort of worried about it, to be honest.  I am disappointed with this bump in the road, and I hope I pass or that even if I fail that there are no complications.  I'm wondering about if I did have to control my diet... since I don't eat meat I wonder if that would be a hard diet to do... I get a lot of protein but it is from dairy.  What is the fat intake like?  Not being able to eat fruit would make me sad.  I'm so excited about peach adn apple season!!  I planned to freeze pie fillings, etc.  Hmph.  I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself here but it is hard not to think of the "what ifs"

 

Sigh... I guess now I just wait for the test....

jbk21 is offline  
#4 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
 
jasmin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's true, it all has to do with your pancreas, the hormones and your genetics, not what you do or do not do during pregnancy that causes GD.  I get tested on Monday, but my friend was diagnosed and since she was already higher risk (for a few reasons) they are being extra cautious.  She has additional testing each week and lots of ultrasounds, and is watching what she eats (which she already did) and testing her blood sugar.  She is the same as Flor where she can't seem to control the spike in the morning.

 

If you fail the test, being that you are a healthy 26 year old, you will most likely just have to follow a particular diet which consists of X amount of carbs + protein + high fiber + low sugar per meal, being 5-6 small meals a day.  And you have to exercise, which can just be a brisk walk after you eat or some other light exercise, or whatever you've been already leaning towards.  If you google Gestational Diabetes Menu you can find lots of ideas and will likely discover that you've already been eating just as you should.  From what I've heard, unless you have very high numbers, you can't regulate your numbers, or have other high risk factors, you ought to go on with a normal and healthy pregnancy.  thumb.gif  Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!  Oh, and cross your fingers for me, too!

jasmin85 is offline  
#5 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks!  My MW also mentioned that besides a pancreas issue, there could also be placental issues (something about the placenta telling the body to keep the blood sugar higher).  Has anyone heard of that?

 

I just wanted to coast for the next 2-3 months.  I don't want to have to check my sugar and eat a special diet (even if it's close to what I already eat) or anything like that.  Sorry if that seems whiney... I'm just so fatigued lately and with my 2.5 year old keeping me busy it's hard to think about all of this.  / end rant. 

 

I appreciate all the wisdom though, and of course, good luck on Monday!  Report back, please! :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

It's true, it all has to do with your pancreas, the hormones and your genetics, not what you do or do not do during pregnancy that causes GD.  I get tested on Monday, but my friend was diagnosed and since she was already higher risk (for a few reasons) they are being extra cautious.  She has additional testing each week and lots of ultrasounds, and is watching what she eats (which she already did) and testing her blood sugar.  She is the same as Flor where she can't seem to control the spike in the morning.

 

If you fail the test, being that you are a healthy 26 year old, you will most likely just have to follow a particular diet which consists of X amount of carbs + protein + high fiber + low sugar per meal, being 5-6 small meals a day.  And you have to exercise, which can just be a brisk walk after you eat or some other light exercise, or whatever you've been already leaning towards.  If you google Gestational Diabetes Menu you can find lots of ideas and will likely discover that you've already been eating just as you should.  From what I've heard, unless you have very high numbers, you can't regulate your numbers, or have other high risk factors, you ought to go on with a normal and healthy pregnancy.  thumb.gif  Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!  Oh, and cross your fingers for me, too!



 

jbk21 is offline  
#6 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry you have to take the 3 hour test. greensad.gif

 

I failed my GTT by just a few points. And it totally came out of nowhere for me. I have no risk factors at all. Not even a family history of diabetes. And after my doctor called to tell me they were referring me to a GD specialist...oh my God. I think I cried for a solid week. I felt like such a failure. And I was super disappointed to no longer be having a perfect, easy pregnancy. So I get how you feel. Doesn't sound whiny at all to me.

 

I eat a lot of meat on the diet. But I know there are other women in the main GD support thread who are vegetarian, and they make it work just fine. So, totally possible! I also eat relatively high fat on the diet, but that's because I'm being pushed to gain more weight. You don't necessarily have to eat extra fat if you don't want to. For fruit, I'm allowed to eat whatever I can tolerate. Some women find that they don't handle fruits well. But apples are one of my staples on this diet. Blueberries, too. I'm eating a ton of them!

 

I have read a little bit about GD in some cases maybe being caused by the placenta overproducing hormones that interfere with insulin. It's supposed to do that, to free up sugar for the baby, but in some cases the hormones interfere too much and you get high blood sugar problems. I like that explanation, because it lets me put the blame on something tangible. Plus, almost all women see their GD completely go away the minute they deliver the placenta. So there's definitely a hormonal component to it.

Thesan83 is offline  
#7 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

greensad.gif  I have to say that I don't think I will pass.  I just feel so much more light-headed and dizzy after meals, especially if there is a lot of carbs or some sugar.  I don't remember ever feeling that way with my first pregnancy.  It feels an awful lot like a sugar high and then crash.  I have no idea if those "symptoms" are related to GD but I just know that I don't feel as good after eating as I should.  I am lacking energy in general.  

I feel like a failure already :-(  my abnormal urine dips and this "fail" today make me feel like I am doing something wrong.  My first pregnancy was picture perfect- minus the induction- so this is frustrating.  I know GD can happen to any woman in any circumstance... but it's still hard to feel like I didn't do anything wrong.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

I'm sorry you have to take the 3 hour test. greensad.gif

 

I failed my GTT by just a few points. And it totally came out of nowhere for me. I have no risk factors at all. Not even a family history of diabetes. And after my doctor called to tell me they were referring me to a GD specialist...oh my God. I think I cried for a solid week. I felt like such a failure. And I was super disappointed to no longer be having a perfect, easy pregnancy. So I get how you feel. Doesn't sound whiny at all to me.

 

I eat a lot of meat on the diet. But I know there are other women in the main GD support thread who are vegetarian, and they make it work just fine. So, totally possible! I also eat relatively high fat on the diet, but that's because I'm being pushed to gain more weight. You don't necessarily have to eat extra fat if you don't want to. For fruit, I'm allowed to eat whatever I can tolerate. Some women find that they don't handle fruits well. But apples are one of my staples on this diet. Blueberries, too. I'm eating a ton of them!

 

I have read a little bit about GD in some cases maybe being caused by the placenta overproducing hormones that interfere with insulin. It's supposed to do that, to free up sugar for the baby, but in some cases the hormones interfere too much and you get high blood sugar problems. I like that explanation, because it lets me put the blame on something tangible. Plus, almost all women see their GD completely go away the minute they deliver the placenta. So there's definitely a hormonal component to it.



 

jbk21 is offline  
#8 of 32 Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 PM
 
Flor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 5,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The diet has been hard on me. My staples-- fruit, milk, brown rice, lentils, ww pasta, crackers, homemade bread, sweetened yogurt-- gone! Some people can handle small portions of those foods, but not me. I'm eating a lot of meat, cheese, and fats because I'm losing weight.
I guess I also judged women with GD before this, too. It seemed like everyone I knew who had it was overweight and ate a lot of processed foods. Now that I have it, all these healthy thin people are telling me they had it, too. Maybe they felt judged, too.
I was uptight and worried through my first pregnancy (which was easy), and I thought that since I had BTDT I would be so relaxed through this pregnancy, but I'm really sad about this.
Flor is offline  
#9 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was diagnosed at 24 weeks (am now 29), and am just now starting to not feel guilty and awful about it. It really does have this air of being the mother's fault, even though it most certainly is NOT. When I told my sister-in-law that I had it, she went, "Do you think it was something you ate...?" I wanted to reach through the phone and smack her.

 

But I'm finding a lot of healthy people who had it, too. I haven't told most of my friends because I definitely feel like I'll be judged. And despite everything, I'm still a little ashamed. But my mom lives in a super small town and told everyone. People there have come out of the woodwork to say they had it and offer advice. And for what it's worth, all of them have awesome, healthy kids and are perfectly healthy now themselves. Even the ones who had complications from it.

 

hug2.gif for both of you!!

Thesan83 is offline  
#10 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Autumn Breeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: with the Geek in the Pink
Posts: 15,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, in that situation, I would ask to re-do the test, and make my own breakfast and see how I felt/what the results were. If they were still borderline, I would get really strict about my diet and maybe find out about getting a glucometer to monitor my sugars. That way, if anything strange popped up, or I noticed more feelings of "offness" I could take the next step with my midwife.

Good luck, Mama!!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Autumn Breeze is offline  
#11 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


I want to smack your SIL too.  Oh my goodness.

 

I think it comes from the term "diabetes" which generally people think is caused by poor diet.  And usually that is true, though there are genetic components, etc.  Gestational diabetes is different, and I don't think people know that, nor do they understand the immense pressure the body is under to create this new life and all the systems don't always work together like they should.  Pregnancy is no cake walk, and our bodies do their best but sometimes it's not up to us and what we can do to make it perform perfectly.  Sigh.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

I was diagnosed at 24 weeks (am now 29), and am just now starting to not feel guilty and awful about it. It really does have this air of being the mother's fault, even though it most certainly is NOT. When I told my sister-in-law that I had it, she went, "Do you think it was something you ate...?" I wanted to reach through the phone and smack her.

 

But I'm finding a lot of healthy people who had it, too. I haven't told most of my friends because I definitely feel like I'll be judged. And despite everything, I'm still a little ashamed. But my mom lives in a super small town and told everyone. People there have come out of the woodwork to say they had it and offer advice. And for what it's worth, all of them have awesome, healthy kids and are perfectly healthy now themselves. Even the ones who had complications from it.

 

hug2.gif for both of you!!



 

jbk21 is offline  
#12 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


This is great advice.  I'd do that, since I don't know the sugar/carb content of what I ate other than estimations, but even when I eat at home and am careful about my meals I still feel yucky.  Not that that means my sugars are off, but even spilling glucose in my urine the past few urine dips has me curious.  I think I'll just do the 3hr GTT at the lab... that way it is super-controlled (even though it will be awful to be fasting that whole time.  Ugh!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post

Honestly, in that situation, I would ask to re-do the test, and make my own breakfast and see how I felt/what the results were. If they were still borderline, I would get really strict about my diet and maybe find out about getting a glucometer to monitor my sugars. That way, if anything strange popped up, or I noticed more feelings of "offness" I could take the next step with my midwife.

Good luck, Mama!!


 

jbk21 is offline  
#13 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM
 
Flor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: California
Posts: 5,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The 3 hour test is not fun at all, but I'm glad I did it and found out that I have it. Hopefully, it won't affect the baby since we caught it early, and have been monitoring like crazy!

Flor is offline  
#14 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really nervous already (the test is Tuesday) about fasting for 12 hours and then still not eating for another 3.  uuugggghhhhh
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

The 3 hour test is not fun at all, but I'm glad I did it and found out that I have it. Hopefully, it won't affect the baby since we caught it early, and have been monitoring like crazy!



 

jbk21 is offline  
#15 of 32 Old 08-26-2011, 02:27 PM
 
bluebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I failed the one-hour GTT on Tuesday and took the three-hour today.  I absolutely panicked when the nurse told me that I failed the one-hour.  This is my sixth pregnancy (fourth to go to third trimester) and I passed the GTT on the others.  What is strange is that I actually had a feeling I would fail the one-hour.  I haven't felt as well this pregnancy as I did with the others.

 

I was so afraid of fasting and then having to get blood drawn four times.  (I am a bad stick and get nervous about it).  The testing wasn't as bad as I feared.  The lab put me in a room with a recliner and I read most of the time.  The time passed slowly and the first hour was the worst since the glucose drink was disgusting.  Now I just have to wait for the results.

 

I am not so much afraid of the diet as I am about pricking my finger...did I say how much I don't like dealing with blood?               


Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
bluebunny is offline  
#16 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
 
Dov'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My understanding is that GD can sometimes be general pancreas issues -- i.e., you would have developed diabetes anyway or already had and it was diagnosed during pregnancy -- but more often has to do with your body's reaction to some of the pregnancy hormones. Even so, it's a huge risk factor for developing diabetes later in life, so t's good to be checked periodically.

 

Based on what you've described, I would go on a diabetes friendly diet ASAP, because elevated blood sugar will hurt you and your baby with or without a diagnosis. If the 3 hour turns out fine, then it won't have hurt, but if it turns out you are diabetic, then you know  you've been protecting yourself that much longer. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't send you for the GTT earlier if you've been spilling glucose for a while; the hormones that cause GD spike at 28 weeks but true GD can start much earlier.

 

I do "look like" a GD mother -- my BMI is over 40 -- and based on that alone I've always been required to check for GD at 20 weeks and again at 28 weeks. This with four different practices, two of them midwifery practices. I'd expect the same if there were any other GD risk factors, which spilling glucose certainly is. (My blood sugar has always been excellent

 

Dov'sMom is offline  
#17 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM
 
Dov'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On the GD mom topic, though, I have a friend who's been diagnosed GD in two pregnancies based on the tolerance tests. Her diet is super healthy -- no sugars, almost no processed foods, etc., and plenty of exercise. She started out trying to follow the official diet advice, but found it too burdensome to measure and count and eat by the clock -- but her sugars are always fine whenever she tests because her natural diet is good enough that the technical diagnosis of GD -- inability to properly handle the sugar load -- just doesn't matter -- her body can handle the food she feeds it just fine. So she basically ignores the diagnosis and just checks her blood sugar randomly every few days to make sure she's okay.

Dov'sMom is offline  
#18 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This was really hard to hear because you basically confirmed what I have been feeling.  I have been following the diet as best as I know how (I don't know exact details, I suppose.) since my abnormal result and my re-test is tomorrow.  I'm really, really nervous and, to be honest, really sad and disappointed.

 

I have a pretty nasty family history of diabetes- my paternal grandmother had it, my father had it and my mother has it.  I always thought my dad and mom's diabetes were more lifestyle-related, they are both overweight and eat poorly- but I know the genetic component is there as well.  I really hope that IF I do have GD that it resolves after pregnancy.  I know it increases my risk later in life but I don't want to be diabetic in my 20's :-(

 

Yeah, I would have thought they'd test sooner, too, but they don't send clients to a lab for the first test (it's done at the birth center) so I suppose it was just easier to have it coincide with a regular monthly appointment.  My previous appointment was "technically" prior to 24 weeks (by a day or two) so she said she wanted to wait until the next.  But it would have been nice to know earlier, if that is the case.

 

Sigh.  I've been pretty good about restricting sugar intake (though worried less about complex carbs) during this pregnancy, so I guess I feel better that I haven't been eating desserts all the time :)  But still....  Fingers crossed for tomorrow!  Really not looking forward to fasting for that long, and I felt pretty awful after my carb-heavy meal the other day so I'm sure glucola will make me feel TERRIBLE...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post

My understanding is that GD can sometimes be general pancreas issues -- i.e., you would have developed diabetes anyway or already had and it was diagnosed during pregnancy -- but more often has to do with your body's reaction to some of the pregnancy hormones. Even so, it's a huge risk factor for developing diabetes later in life, so t's good to be checked periodically.

 

Based on what you've described, I would go on a diabetes friendly diet ASAP, because elevated blood sugar will hurt you and your baby with or without a diagnosis. If the 3 hour turns out fine, then it won't have hurt, but if it turns out you are diabetic, then you know  you've been protecting yourself that much longer. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't send you for the GTT earlier if you've been spilling glucose for a while; the hormones that cause GD spike at 28 weeks but true GD can start much earlier.

 

 



 

jbk21 is offline  
#19 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone direct me to the GD support forum?  I have poked around but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  (newbie!)  I usually just stay here in the DDC so I don't exactly know what I'm doing.  Haha!

jbk21 is offline  
#20 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
 
jasmin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

This was really hard to hear because you basically confirmed what I have been feeling.  I have been following the diet as best as I know how (I don't know exact details, I suppose.) since my abnormal result and my re-test is tomorrow.  I'm really, really nervous and, to be honest, really sad and disappointed.

 

I have a pretty nasty family history of diabetes- my paternal grandmother had it, my father had it and my mother has it.  I always thought my dad and mom's diabetes were more lifestyle-related, they are both overweight and eat poorly- but I know the genetic component is there as well.  I really hope that IF I do have GD that it resolves after pregnancy.  I know it increases my risk later in life but I don't want to be diabetic in my 20's :-(

 

Yeah, I would have thought they'd test sooner, too, but they don't send clients to a lab for the first test (it's done at the birth center) so I suppose it was just easier to have it coincide with a regular monthly appointment.  My previous appointment was "technically" prior to 24 weeks (by a day or two) so she said she wanted to wait until the next.  But it would have been nice to know earlier, if that is the case.

 

Sigh.  I've been pretty good about restricting sugar intake (though worried less about complex carbs) during this pregnancy, so I guess I feel better that I haven't been eating desserts all the time :)  But still....  Fingers crossed for tomorrow!  Really not looking forward to fasting for that long, and I felt pretty awful after my carb-heavy meal the other day so I'm sure glucola will make me feel TERRIBLE...
 



 



From what I've read, GD can show up as late as 32 weeks so that is probably why they wait because otherwise they may have to retest later.  Usually it does go away after pregnancy, and if you know that you are at risk for Type 2 down the line you can try to keep to the diabetes diets and keep on an exercise regime.  Of course, even Type 2 can be found in healthy people, it is all about your pancreas and how much it can handle. BUT, I feel your pain, I get my results from the glucose drink tomorrow, and I am definitely a little worried!  I know that it isn't as scary as it seems, but I know that I would be feeling pretty crummy myself and basically, you just don't want more to worry about, amiright?!  I wish I could tell you that the glucose drink wouldn't make you feel funky, but you're probably right.  Be sure to bring a good fiber/protein bar of some sort with you so you can munch on it as soon as the testing is done!  I hope that your test goes well and you don't end up having to worry about GD.  Crossing my fingers for you!  

jasmin85 is offline  
#21 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM
 
Thesan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There's no whole forum for GD support, just a couple of threads. The current, active one is in the main "I'm Pregnant" forum: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1309375/the-new-gestational-diabetes-support-thread

 

This thread replaced the super long old one: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/945665/gestational-diabetes-support-group
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

Can anyone direct me to the GD support forum?  I have poked around but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.  (newbie!)  I usually just stay here in the DDC so I don't exactly know what I'm doing.  Haha!



 

Thesan83 is offline  
#22 of 32 Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thanks for the links to the threads :) Very helpful.

Well, I had my 3hr GTT this morning and I threw up right at the 1-hr mark as I was on my way to get the blood draw.  I tried really hard not to get sick since I knew it would mess up the test, but I'm actually pretty relieved.  I vomited 3 more times on the way home, so it's clear that my body was not handling the drink well (I NEVER vomit.  Seriously.  Never.)  


I called my MW and she said she will just have me test my sugars here at home after normal meals.  I'm so thankful for that.  I really don't think I could handle the glucola again!  I didn't think anything of it with my DS1- I chugged it down and thought it was just like orange soda.  But this one was nasty- 10 oz of warm (seriously, not refrigerated) glucola- it was thick and syrupy- she said it's twice as sweet as the normal one.  It was 100g of glucose!  Woof!


So, looks like I won't have any confirmation on if I have GD for a while longer... That is frustrating, but I have been trying to keep the diet as best I know how since my abnormal result last week anyway.  At least now I'll have concrete numbers to look at and can see how what I am eating affects my blood sugar.  

jbk21 is offline  
#23 of 32 Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
 
Jaimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Posts: 7,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Blech!  So sorry that you got sick.  But seriously that stuff is sludge- sort of nice to know it's not in your system.  I hope you feel better soon!


Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Jaimee is offline  
#24 of 32 Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Seriously- I'm so glad I threw it up because I didn't want to be processing it all day.  Ugh.  I don't feel 100% but much better than I did previously....

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Blech!  So sorry that you got sick.  But seriously that stuff is sludge- sort of nice to know it's not in your system.  I hope you feel better soon!



 

jbk21 is offline  
#25 of 32 Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM
 
jasmin85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yuck!  I cannot even imagine 100g of the stuff!  Much less warm....I'm sorry you won't know your results for a while, but as you said, at least you get to watch your numbers now.  Thinking of you!

jasmin85 is offline  
#26 of 32 Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 PM
 
berry987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Uck! I threw up the 100g stuff at my 3-hour too. Made it 45 minutes before I started shaking and getting the chills and finally vomited. My OB is having me just check levels for a couple of weeks 2 hours after meals. So far I've been very even (about 90) so I'm pretty sure all is well. Good luck!


berry987 is offline  
#27 of 32 Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our bodies are NOT meant to handle 100g of glucose at once.  Omg.  It was vile!  I'm SO thankful she won't be making me drink that again.  Thanks for the support, everyone!

jbk21 is offline  
#28 of 32 Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 AM
 
berry987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

Our bodies are NOT meant to handle 100g of glucose at once.  Omg.  It was vile!  I'm SO thankful she won't be making me drink that again.  Thanks for the support, everyone!



EXACTLY! I kept thinking afterwards how insane it is that they make pregnant women, who already have trouble keeping food down sometimes, drink this sugary concoction that contains way more sugar than most women would ever drink at once (it's the equivalent of chugging 2-3 regular cokes in 5 minutes...bleh). No wonder many people can't take it. 


berry987 is offline  
#29 of 32 Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 AM
 
Jaimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Posts: 7,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by berry987 View Post
EXACTLY! I kept thinking afterwards how insane it is that they make pregnant women, who already have trouble keeping food down sometimes, drink this sugary concoction that contains way more sugar than most women would ever drink at once (it's the equivalent of chugging 2-3 regular cokes in 5 minutes...bleh). No wonder many people can't take it. 

truedat.gif
 

 


Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Jaimee is offline  
#30 of 32 Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
jbk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


after 12 hour fast, no less.  UGH!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry987 View Post





EXACTLY! I kept thinking afterwards how insane it is that they make pregnant women, who already have trouble keeping food down sometimes, drink this sugary concoction that contains way more sugar than most women would ever drink at once (it's the equivalent of chugging 2-3 regular cokes in 5 minutes...bleh). No wonder many people can't take it. 



 

jbk21 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off