Controlling Weight Gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any advice? I did really good for the first... 20 weeks or so. At least I'd like to think I did. But these last couple of weeks, I've exploded. I don't FEEL like I'm eating anymore than normal... I don't snack or eat fast food or anything.

I'm 29 weeks and up 27 pounds. While I know that isn't terrible... It's still more than I want. 11 weeks to go, the biggest weight gaining period... I'm afraid I'm going to be up 50 pounds by the time it's all said and done.

Pre-pregnancy: 147.

Current: 174.

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#2 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Uhm, no real suggestions except eat healthy and exercise.  I also gain a decent amount of weight while I'm pregnant.  In fact most of my friends have all gained 40-60lbs while pregnant.  We all eat healthy and are active, it's just what some pregnant bodies do! 

Pre-pregnancy weight 122lbs - Current weight 150lbs

I'm on track to gain about 45lbs again with this pregnancy.  I've always lost all the weight within 6-7mo pp.  Breastfeeding works wonders for me!  :)  I personally don't worry about it because I know that I take good care of myself. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#3 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 PM

If you're not eating more food, or more caloric food, I'm not sure you can control it. (But if others have suggestions, I'd love to hear them, 'cause I'm in the same boat!)

With my son I gained 60lbs. At 20 weeks I had gained 10 or 15 of that. I attribute my weight gain to a sudden unhealthy addiction to cow milk thanks to the copious amounts in my fridge after starting WIC. I also think the body really likes to gain weight in the last trimester. The baby's gaining about 1/2lb a week at this point, so it makes sense that your normal weight gain pattern will change now.

I am currently 27 weeks and have gained around 25lbs. I'm watching refined carbs and sugars, and trusting that if I put good food into my body, my body will gain what it needs to.

Gluten and dairy allergic mama to DS1 luxlove.gif (08/08) homebirth.jpg, DS2 babyboy.gif (11/11) homebirth.jpgand unintentional uc.jpg , wife to DHwild.gif, and grad school student.   lactivist.gif  fly-by-nursing2.gif novaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Well, I think your body is going to do whatever it is going to do, BUT, that being said I noticed that I was gaining weight much faster than I did with DS1 (I only gained 20 with him, and I have already gained 16 with this one).  It bothered me, even though according to conventional thought I didn't gain "enough" last time.  I also knew, though, that I wasn't as active as I was last time.  This time I am a stay-at-home-mom and I hardly exercise (bad!) and last time I was much more active and was also working on my feet throughout my pregnancy.  

So, I started eating smaller, more frequent meals (since I noticed that even if I ate a big meal, I'd be hungry a couple of hours later anyway... so now I eat half my meal and then half a couple hours later). I also started exercising more- walking with hubby, biking, hiking, etc.  My weight gain has slowed but is still on track.  You certainly don't want to start losing weight (though you may lose a couple of lbs right before labor).  

Your body might still gain as it is.  It's okay- it knows what the baby needs, and it also knows what your needs will be after baby comes.  That extra weight is CLUTCH for breastfeeding.  I snapped back to my pre-pregnancy weight and size within 2 weeks of giving birth.  That seemed great, and I was still eating A TON of food (I was much hungrier than while pregnant) but I was also VERY fatigued and would have frequent low-blood-sugar spells.  A few extra pounds for a few months post-partum are necessary.  Breastfeeding does far too effective a job of taking it off, sometimes :)

#5 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM

I'll second the last bit. While I gained 60lbs with my son (and was overweight to begin with), I ended up losing over 100lbs thanks to a combination of breastfeeding and accommodating my son's food allergies by changing my diet so I could keep breastfeeding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Uhm, no real suggestions except eat healthy and exercise.  I also gain a decent amount of weight while I'm pregnant.  In fact most of my friends have all gained 40-60lbs while pregnant.  We all eat healthy and are active, it's just what some pregnant bodies do! 

Pre-pregnancy weight 122lbs - Current weight 150lbs

I'm on track to gain about 45lbs again with this pregnancy.  I've always lost all the weight within 6-7mo pp.  Breastfeeding works wonders for me!  :)  I personally don't worry about it because I know that I take good care of myself. 

Gluten and dairy allergic mama to DS1 luxlove.gif (08/08) homebirth.jpg, DS2 babyboy.gif (11/11) homebirth.jpgand unintentional uc.jpg , wife to DHwild.gif, and grad school student.   lactivist.gif  fly-by-nursing2.gif novaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM

I wish I had some advice for you. I think jbk21's suggestion of smaller, more frequent meals is a good one. For me, my body just does what it wants. I don't think I have much control. My proof: with dd1, I was tiny pre-pregnancy. I think I weighed 105 or so. I gained 35 lbs, but I was counting calories (my doc stressed me out). With dd2, I didn't care about calories. I was back to 105 and I gained 50 lbs. It all came off. This time, I was a lot bigger pre-pregnancy. I was 148. So far, I've only gained 17 lbs. I am certainly not paying attention to calories! I'm eating about this same as with dd2. I think my body is just gaining what it needs. With dd2, I needed 50lbs because I was under-weight. Apparently, I don't need as much this time. 

Just try not to worry about it! I really do believe our bodies gain what we need. Plus, you are young! I know in my early 20's, the weight just came off so easily. That plus breastfeeding is totally in your favor. The 50 lbs I gained with dd2 were super easy to lose. Now, the 43 lbs I gained since hitting 28... well, that's a different story! lol.gif

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#7 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 02:27 PM

I have a history of gaining A LOT of weight when I'm pregnant (around 60 pounds). I always ate healthy (whole foods, everything from scratch, lots of veggies) and was very active (lap swimming, walking everywhere, etc.) but the weight just piled on. This is my 4th child and I am eating primal this time around (low carb, high fat and protein) and my weight is just slowly, steadily climbing. I'm almost 31 weeks and have gained 20 pounds. Which is amazing to me because before it always seemed completely out of my control. It's the first time I feel like I actually have a say in how much I gain! So my advice (for what it's worth) is to watch the carbs, even the "healthy" ones and completely do away with sugar. It's working wonders for me.

#8 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM

I think your body gains what it needs to.  I have weighed varying amounts beginning each pregnancy but on delivery day, I am about the same weight every time within 2 pounds.  Actually, with my second, I started out a smaller weight but halfway thru my doc said I was gaining too much so she checked how much I weighed with my first at that same gestation and it was the same!  Different start amounts, same ending amounts.  Weird, huh?

Right now I am four pounds lighter than I was the last pregnancy at 29 weeks, 1 day (weighed Monday).  I have no doubt, though, that I'll end up about the same as the other pregnancies.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#9 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice ladies.

This is my first pregnancy. I was never worried about gaining weight until it just seemed to skyrocket over the last few weeks. I was up 11 pounds in week 22... And now, in week 29, I'm up 27. So I just worried myself, I guess.

I know my motivation to NOT keep this weight on and breastfeeding will help a lot. I just need to be patient, let my body do what it needs to do, then... When I can control it without harming my kiddo, I will do just that.

=)

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#10 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you!  You're 23 years old, I'm sure it will melt right off.  You might be surprised!  I was expecting at least a little pouch for a while but it was all flat and toned within a couple of weeks, and I did NOTHING to get it there (I'd eat around the clock- snacks by my bed for middle of night feedings, desserts a few times a day since friends were bringing us tons of yummy food....)  I almost felt judged by people because I feel like they assumed that I was doing something unhealthy.  (Well, I was- I was eating a lot of chocolate cake, haha!)  Just be sure to eat enough so that you are satisfied- you'll be RAVENOUS while breastfeeding.  Drink lots of water and you're body will spring back to where it wants to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTCChloeOrConner View Post

Thanks for all the advice ladies.

This is my first pregnancy. I was never worried about gaining weight until it just seemed to skyrocket over the last few weeks. I was up 11 pounds in week 22... And now, in week 29, I'm up 27. So I just worried myself, I guess.

I know my motivation to NOT keep this weight on and breastfeeding will help a lot. I just need to be patient, let my body do what it needs to do, then... When I can control it without harming my kiddo, I will do just that.

=)

#11 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

It can be overwhelming to gain weight so quickly, especially if you're not used to having weight issues.  But breastfeeding really can peel the weight off quickly.  And in my case, too quickly.  I usually gain around 25 pounds and half of that comes off from the birth and the rest melts in a matter of weeks.  I end up dipping below 100 pounds while breastfeeding and suffering nutrient deficiencies.  Women that retain a bit of the weight fare a lot better while breastfeeding.

Also keep in mind that weight gain during pregnancy is often not linear despite what your care provider might expect.  So even if you gained a bunch recently that doesn't mean it won't slow down for a period of time, pick up again, slow down, pick up, etc. until the birth.  Some women actually lose a bit of weight in the last couple of weeks- I did with my first.  So since this is your first it's hard to predict and as long as you continue to make healthy choices with your food and exercise I would try not to worry.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 AM

I have been lucky so far - I am a fluffy mama and I *thought* I would gain a whole bunch of weight while pregnant.  I lost 5lbs in the first few weeks due to horrible morning (all day) sickness, and now at 29 weeks, I am only up 2lbs right now.  Granted when I look at my face, I know that it is probably the babe that is putting on the pounds and not me, because my face is very thin.  I am thinking I might come out lighter at the end of this pregnancy than when I found out I was pregnant.  Not limiting my diet at all, just eating really healthy and walking A LOT! :)  Lots of water too ... haven't craved any sugary drinks so I am happy about that.  I believe our bodies will gain what they need in order to grow a healthy babe ... :)

luxlove.gif

http://novelstudies.org - My hubby's website for affordable novel-studies for kids.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

#13 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 AM

I was doing well with not gaining much until I hit 24 weeks. Then I ballooned from 10 lbs gained to 20 lbs gained in like 4 weeks. When I saw that number, I stayed away from the scale as much as possible. Being above 160, for me, is a hard thing because I was so miserable at that weight. I feel good right now at 165, but I'm not comfortable seeing that number. I know I can't be blind to how much I gain, but I don't want to gain as much as I did with my daughter. (65 lbs) I am sure I wouldn't have gained that much if I had been healthier and more fit. (fast food and lack of exercise= 65lbs gained for me) With my DS, I gained 50 lbs and I was okay with that......

#14 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM

I have heard that gaining weight on lots of healthy foods is easier to lose pp than gaining from junk. I try to eat things like peanut butter and eggs and olive oil instead of candy bars, etc. That said I am disappointed about the amount of weight i'd gained so far. I think the scale at my midwives' reads me as heavier than I am, but I am prob about 145-150 right now, when I started at 115. Last preg I am not sure where I started, I think I was averaging 120 or 125 in high school, and it wasn't long after that. Then by the time I delivered I was 175.

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#15 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 02:44 PM

I have gained about the same amount of weight as you and I'll be 29 weeks along tomorrow. My midwife said that most of her clients have one month or two where they show the most dramatic spurts of weight gain and often it's during their 2nd trimester, so I'm not too worried about gaining a lot in these last few months. I'm trusting my body to do what it needs to do to grow the baby! There was one month mid-pregnancy when I gained 12 lbs! Talk about excessive... But now I'll be going for my monthly checkup this week and I've only put on 2-3 lbs in the past month, so I think my "growth spurts" already happened. Maybe that'll be how it works for you? smile.gif

With all that said, I sure am looking forward to seeing firsthand how breastfeeding helps with weight loss! I always drop weight slowly (partially I think due to hypothyroidism) but maybe breastfeeding will boost my metabolism more dramatically! praying.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page