BELLY BUTTON: What will happen to it! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My belly button is starting to freak me out, I am always analyzing it, trying to figure out what is going on with it.

It is def getting flatter, and is a little tender to the touch on the top part of it. It feels like there is a ligament right about my belly button that is really sensitive.

I am just hoping nothing crazy happens with it!

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

#2 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM

lol.gif  Well, mine always turns inside out... right now it's like a little thumb pokinng out of the middle.  I don't really care for the way it looks, but what are ya gonna do?  It goes back to innie after the baby's born.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#3 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ah! So scary! Is it painful once it's inside out? Also, just bc it goes inside out, doesn't mean you have a hernia right?

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

#4 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Oh, no, it's just because the baby has gotten big enough that everything inside is pressing up against the inside walls of your belly.  Some people call it a turkey timer, haha.

Mine doesn't hurt.  But my daughter laughs at it (it does look funny!) and has touched it before, which I don't like.  It's not painful, but it kind of tickles in an unpleasant way.

~*Kristi*~

#5 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha....well that's comforting! A bit at least!

#6 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM

I'm always an outie, but it definitely still flattens out and then pops back out, probably a little sooner than most since it's usually "out" anyway.  The funny thing is, it's usually sensitive (like Lula's Mom said- tickles but in an unpleasant way) and during pg it becomes less sensitive.  

The only strange thing that has happened to mine is my BB ring scar (I took it out many years ago) got one little stretch mark last time, and the holes themselves stretched out a bit.  It goes back to looking fairly normal afterward.

#7 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My belly button is now totally flat and almost poking out a bit.  I have a pretty deep innie and it's always gone back to normal pp.  Also, while my belly button button doesn't hurt, I've known several people's who have.  It's pretty normal.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#8 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM

Ooh, now I feel bad that I said mine looks funny when it's outie!  She just laughs because it looks different on me, but I don't think outies are weird or anything! footinmouth.gif

~*Kristi*~

#9 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

With my first, my belly button flattened, turned sort of purple around the edges and then popped out sometime in the mid third tri.  With my second it popped out much earlier- maybe in the second tri.  After that it never fully went back in.  It sort of looked like a half inny, half outie.  Then I got pg again and it popped out almost right away- sometime in the first tri.  I have no idea what it will do after this pregnancy.  I'm hoping, though, that it will go back to an inny once my ab muscles get themselves back together.  I deal with moderate diastasis recti from my first two pregnancies and I think that has something to do with how my belly button looks.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#10 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM

Mine sounds about like that now--flat, blue-ish.  Last time it was also pretty painful toward the end of pregnancy.  Felt like I had just millimeters of flesh between the outside of my body and, say, the baby's foot, which was weird.

However, my bellybutton also has/had a sort of bump just above it, ever since delivering my last babe.  It was still bumped out like that until my belly got big enough to make it flat this time!  Apparently that's called a para-umbilical hernia, but I'm not convinced it's anything really awful.  Worst case scenario, I go get it repaired by a doc after baby comes.  

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#11 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM

haha!  I didn't take offense, of course.   My DS1 has an outie too- I'm so proud!  I know they are pretty rare, but I like that he has the same as me.... :-)  I'm proud of my outie!  I think it's pretty cute... you know, when I'm not pregnant :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post

Ooh, now I feel bad that I said mine looks funny when it's outie!  She just laughs because it looks different on me, but I don't think outies are weird or anything! footinmouth.gif

#12 of 15 Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the preggo-outie is soooo cute! I'm super jealous of all you moms who have one, I thought I'd definitely get one since I was pretty thin pre-pregnancy, but so far it's just slightly more shallow.  Also, when I was 15 I thought I'd be all hardcore and I pierced my belly button myself (ice, sterilized needle, and an earring) - that lasted like a week and left a weird little scar.  Then I got it pierced professionally at 18.  Took that out at least 8 years ago, so I already had this little double-scar going, which has now stretched out into this bizarro-looking lump.

Still have my fingers crossed that I'll get my outie.  They're so awesome!

Katie, married to my beloved Paddy

Catherine Anne "KJ" born November 10th, 2011

#13 of 15 Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Mine officially popped at like, 27 / 28 weeks :). I think it's really cute and I like it. It doesn't tickle for me when I touch it! It's just really smooth and soft. My niece and nephew like to "ding" my button... Hehehe

Morgan. Single mama to DS (10/27/11) fambedsingle1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

www.facebook.com/gnomegrowncreations

#14 of 15 Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Mine is more shallow but isn't really close to popping out yet. I wonder if it's because I had extra weight around my abdomen pre-pregnancy? Does that affect whether or not your belly button will pop? But I still have time, I've got a little over 10 weeks to go still. We'll see what happens!

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#15 of 15 Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I think a lot has to do with the fact that this is your first baby and it takes more work to pop it out the first time than subsequent times.  But I also think that if there is some extra fat/skin around the area then it probably has more room to stretch before popping.  Mine is starting to flatten out now as the skin is pulled tighter and tighter.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page