Nursing Bras - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think we had a thread on this before, but I'm starting a new one anyway! :)  I have zero experience with nursing bras. I have never owned one. I always went bra-less before, but the girls were smaller and perkier back then. I bought some cheap bras at Target, but they are super uncomfortable, so I am ready to splurge on the real deal. I'm looking at the Bravado bras, but I have no idea what to get. The Body Silk Seamless looks good, but I am not convinced it will keep my boobs where I want them. I do not want them resting on my tummy!  I'm typically an underwire/ push-up kinda girl. 

So, who has experience with these, or any other good nursing bras? Which work and which don't? I want comfort, but also a little bit of style. I would love any recommendations. If I have to wear this Target bra for another week, I may burn it. 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM

I love the Body Silk Seamless by Bravado. I also love their Bliss bra and their nursing tanks. I'm currently on the smaller end, but was much heavier with my first son and the Body Silk Seamless gave me support when I was about a 38DD.

I found Bravado's Original Nursing bra to be uncomfortable. I love that it's made out of cotton, but the seams are thick and the fabric not super soft, and it kind of smashed my boobs (like a sports bra) for a pretty undesirable look under clothes.

I've tried other nursing bras - La Leche League, Target brand, and another I don't remember the brand of, but I seem to go back to the Bravado bras.

Gluten and dairy allergic mama to DS1 luxlove.gif (08/08) homebirth.jpg, DS2 babyboy.gif (11/11) homebirth.jpgand unintentional uc.jpg , wife to DHwild.gif, and grad school student.   lactivist.gif  fly-by-nursing2.gif novaxnocirc.gif

Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmanitaMama View Post

I love the Body Silk Seamless by Bravado. I also love their Bliss bra and their nursing tanks. I'm currently on the smaller end, but was much heavier with my first son and the Body Silk Seamless gave me support when I was about a 38DD.

I found Bravado's Original Nursing bra to be uncomfortable. I love that it's made out of cotton, but the seams are thick and the fabric not super soft, and it kind of smashed my boobs (like a sports bra) for a pretty undesirable look under clothes.

I've tried other nursing bras - La Leche League, Target brand, and another I don't remember the brand of, but I seem to go back to the Bravado bras.

yeahthat.gif   Totally agree!  The Body Silk is very nice and supportive.  It also has removable cup liners if you don't want the lining (I like it though to prevent the fried egg look when I have to wear nursing pads).  I have their Lifestyle bra as well- not as good.  The straps don't stretch, so I find they are always falling down and there is no lining= fried eggs.  I returned the original b/c it just did not fit well and it had snaps instead of those clasps.  I found it hard to open and close one handed.  I've heard great things about the Bliss Bra and plan to buy one later when my milk comes in and I know what size I'm going to be this time around.   I also have a LLL padded, underwire bra and it's my least favorite by far.  Even though it's padded, which I do like, it's just uncomfortable and again the straps don't stretch.  I never get the point of that.

Likewise I have Target brand, Bravado, and Glamourmom nursing tanks.  My favorite are the Bravado followed by the Glamourmom tanks.  Target tanks look strange on me.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like the body silk is a good choice. Jaimee, I'd prefer to wait till after the baby is born, too, but I'm desperate!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Blue Canoe makes an unpadded, unwired, organic cotton crossover style bra that I love for nursing.  Def. better for the smaller-breasted women, but really awesome.  I think they just have S-M-L sixing, but the S goes up to a B-cup, if that makes any sense?  I'm actually embarrassed to say for how many years I've been using these bras, and they are still great.  

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Buying nursing bras is going to be new to me ... first babe coming, and of cause it doesn't help that because of my body shape I am an odd side.  I have a small rib cage, which throws the cup size off.  I need an underwire bra for sure for support - I am currently wearing a 38 H bra *yeah I know lol* I am more a 36 band size though.  Realllllly hard to find bras that fit well!  So I am dreading going nursing bra shopping :(

luxlove.gif

http://novelstudies.org - My hubby's website for affordable novel-studies for kids.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post

Blue Canoe makes an unpadded, unwired, organic cotton crossover style bra that I love for nursing.  Def. better for the smaller-breasted women, but really awesome.  I think they just have S-M-L sixing, but the S goes up to a B-cup, if that makes any sense?  I'm actually embarrassed to say for how many years I've been using these bras, and they are still great.  

I had this bra before. Not so much for nursing, just as a bra. I remember liking it, but that was when I was a B-cup and younger. Now I need a lot more support and some lightly padded coverage. However, I do recommend the bra to those without those needs!   :)

Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I always buy my nursing bras at Target.  If you're a standard size, they're cheap and hold up well.  I like to own at least 5-6 bras because they get icky and need to be changed daily.  I often will wear stretchy non-underwire bras as well (and just pull them down).

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I've had a bra like this too (from Motherhood Maternity) and while it is comfortable, it's very unflattering.  It's great for sleeping and wearing around the house, but doesn't look very good under most clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

I had this bra before. Not so much for nursing, just as a bra. I remember liking it, but that was when I was a B-cup and younger. Now I need a lot more support and some lightly padded coverage. However, I do recommend the bra to those without those needs!   :)

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Just as FYI, Zulily is selling sexy nursing bras now. The sale ends today, i think.

User Tag List