Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   November 2011 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16464-november-2011/)
-   -   What do you think of Mildred for a middle name? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16464-november-2011/1327962-what-do-you-think-mildred-middle-name.html)

berry987 08-31-2011 11:05 AM

Is Mildred a horrible middle name? It's my grandma's name and I'd like to honor her, but, yeah, I recognize that Mildred may not be the best middle name for a girl these days. My DH thinks it's too severe...but he can be convinced if it's what I really want winky.gif

IwannaBanRN 08-31-2011 11:12 AM

It honestly depends on the first name.

Lula's Mom 08-31-2011 11:14 AM

Ummmm... it's a little horrible?  I'm sorry!  If it's what you really want to do, you should!  I love family names! But it's not the youngest or most attractive name. Could you go with a cute shorter name, like Millie maybe?

zinemama 08-31-2011 11:20 AM

The thing is, basically no one will ever know her middle name. Do you use yours? (I'm assuming you don't have one of those names like "Mary Lou.") Her middle name will be reserved for formal paperwork and a very few social occasions or if she ever has to testify in court. So really, the choice of middle name doesn't matter in the slightest. Sure, a first name can have a powerful impact on a kid's life. But a middle name? It's the perfect time to go crazy (for the love of God, all you fans of "MyKinzee," take heed.)

So while I'm not a huge fan of the name Mildred in itself, I am a huge fan of honoring your grandmother by giving your daughter Mildred for a middle name. It makes a wonderful statement of love and respect. And I have no doubt that Mildred is going to seem lovely to you, your dh and the few other people who end up knowing your dd's middle name, when it's associated with the wonderful person she's going to be.

berry987 08-31-2011 11:23 AM

Thanks for the input! I've been telling my DH the same thing about no one really knowing anyone's middle name (maybe except at her HS graduation or something) Her first name is going to be Stella if that helps any.

talktomenow 08-31-2011 11:24 AM

I think it's great! But I love old grandma names. I mean, I have a Mabel. No one is named Mabel except 90 year old women.

PS- my Mabel loves being Mabel. She thinks she never has to put a last name on anything... She's like Cher!

jbk21 08-31-2011 11:26 AM

Is grandma's middle or even last name a better option?  I know middle names aren't that big of a deal, but I do know some people (even much older people) who hate their middle name.  It will be on some important things, like wedding invites or birth announcements.  And there are even lots of things grade-schoolers do with their middle names and initials.  We wanted to have good, strong middle names for our children.  I think it enhances the first name :)  I like the idea of Millie, too!

Jaimee 08-31-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

The thing is, basically no one will ever know her middle name. Do you use yours? (I'm assuming you don't have one of those names like "Mary Lou.") Her middle name will be reserved for formal paperwork and a very few social occasions or if she ever has to testify in court. So really, the choice of middle name doesn't matter in the slightest. Sure, a first name can have a powerful impact on a kid's life. But a middle name? It's the perfect time to go crazy (for the love of God, all you fans of "MyKinzee," take heed.)

So while I'm not a huge fan of the name Mildred in itself, I am a huge fan of honoring your grandmother by giving your daughter Mildred for a middle name. It makes a wonderful statement of love and respect. And I have no doubt that Mildred is going to seem lovely to you, your dh and the few other people who end up knowing your dd's middle name, when it's associated with the wonderful person she's going to be.

yeahthat.gif  But I also think you might be able to come up a variation of Mildred that is still honors your grandmother, but is a little more modern.  Hmm... Millie, Milly, Mil...   It comes from Mildthryth or Mildđryđ, both of which are Old English and uniquely spelled.

hildare 08-31-2011 11:29 AM

ddcc to say i love it.  i loooove grandma names.  my dd has a grandma name, one that is quite similar and it's wo-one-derful.  no one else has that name, like the Mabel in the post above. 

i highly encourage grandma names. 

berry987 08-31-2011 11:39 AM

Thanks for more input! As for her middle and last name - let me just say that Mildred is the prettiest of the three (think along the lines of Hortense Klopper). There is nothing feminine or pretty about her full name. I don't know - we're going to have to think on this some more. It's kind of growing on me, but I have trouble loving it because we spent years as kids joking about how horrible her name was (I remember my brother pretending to vomit and saying "mildred" at the same time....like it was the sound of vomit hitting the floor. charming.) But, then again, maybe her name deserves some honoring after that kind of treatment!

Katico 08-31-2011 02:25 PM

Did she have a favourite flower?  My grandmother's name has already been "dibbed" by a cousin (and that's okay because it's a bit of a mouthful) and I really didn't like her middle name....so I am giving some thought to using Iris as this baby's middle name.  My Nan died this Spring and when I think of her, I always think of her beautiful garden and her iris beds, her favourite flower - she grew dozens of varieties of them. 

Abraisme 08-31-2011 07:49 PM

I like the idea of using the grandmother's name, or another version of it (did she go by a nickname?).  My DD has my grandmothers name as her middle and I think this new baby will have dh's grandmothers name. 

dashley111 09-02-2011 06:00 PM

Im naming our daughter Betty after my grandmother and I get flack ALL the time for it being old fashioned not a "pretty" name.  BUT, old fashioned is in right now- if you want to honor your grandma give her the middle name!  Chances are she wont be the only one.  And if she hates it, then she doesn't have to use it.  Realistically people with harsh names never recognize them as that because it has always been their name (and this is coming from someone whose name would make you laugh, and is not really Ash btw, haha).

jasmin85 09-02-2011 07:42 PM

Go with what you like!  I'm sure it can grow on you, and who knows, it may be up and coming again!  ;)

Plus, Stella is a super cute name.  I like the sound of Milly, but not following Stella.  Hmm, Stella Mildred.  What's your last name?

jbk21 09-02-2011 08:32 PM

DASHLEY111!!! Now you HAVE to tell us your real name!  I'm so curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Im naming our daughter Betty after my grandmother and I get flack ALL the time for it being old fashioned not a "pretty" name.  BUT, old fashioned is in right now- if you want to honor your grandma give her the middle name!  Chances are she wont be the only one.  And if she hates it, then she doesn't have to use it.  Realistically people with harsh names never recognize them as that because it has always been their name (and this is coming from someone whose name would make you laugh, and is not really Ash btw, haha).

dashley111 09-02-2011 09:41 PM

Its Dionne.  Like, the mans name.  When I sit in doctors offices they call my name and wait for somebody else to stand up- but definitely not a very pasty freckly white red headed girl.  Haha.  Sometimes I call places and they ask to speak to the real Dionne, since Im obviously not him eyesroll.gif 

jbk21 09-02-2011 09:53 PM

Oh i like it!  I would have never thought it was a man's name, maybe because I don't know anyone named Dionne?  that's silly that people react that way.  I really think it's a pretty name :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Its Dionne.  Like, the mans name.  When I sit in doctors offices they call my name and wait for somebody else to stand up- but definitely not a very pasty freckly white red headed girl.  Haha.  Sometimes I call places and they ask to speak to the real Dionne, since Im obviously not him eyesroll.gif

Chena4 09-03-2011 11:27 AM

There is nothing wrong with bringing back an old name. We are using my husbands grandmother's name Clarice as a middle name.

Lula's Mom 09-03-2011 05:01 PM

Dionne makes me think of Dionne Warwick, not a man!

I do like old names.  I think Betty and Clarice are nice!  But, Mildred.  When I hear it, I think of DREAD.  horrors.gif

Viriditas 09-06-2011 12:20 PM

I think Mildred would be a cool middle name.  I like how it goes with Stella. :)  But maybe I'm weird.  Enid was on my short list for this baby...

2011mama 09-06-2011 01:35 PM

I never thought of Dionne as a man's name esp. spelled that way. I think of Dionne Warwick as well!

As for Mildred, sorry, but I don't love it. However, as a middle name, not everyone will have to know what it is and they do get used rarely. I do know several people though who absolutely despise their middle names. One is a woman whose middle name is Elvira. She is absolutely embarrassed by it and will not tell anyone what it is. I only know because I married into the family and someone else told me. She would not tell me. Another is a guy whose middle name is Francis. His ears turn pink over it. He hates it. I love timeless names but not names that are "old lady" names. That's just my opinion though and you should go with what you like.