Speaking of Middle Names.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am starting to fret about a middle name for my Dante. For a little bit, I was thinking Dante River or Dante Rowen, Dante Averie, but I want something that's a little more unusual without it sounding like finger nails on a chalkboard. Help? Last name will be Wheeler if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I vote for Rowan!  Amazing!   Some more unusual names that I like are Nolan, Kendrick, Grayson, and Zander.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I love Grayson! I never thought that would be a name I'd use until I seriously fell in love with the name Dante. They sound good together. :)

Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Yes!  I wish I could use Grayson but my cousin named her baby Grayson.  Argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Oh, I love Grayson! I never thought that would be a name I'd use until I seriously fell in love with the name Dante. They sound good together. :)

Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

It honestly sounds better to me than River or Averie or Rowen as middle names. I'm really thinking Grayson is good. lol

Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM

I like it too! biggrinbounce.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 PM

Griffin!

Morgan. Single mama to DS (10/27/11) fambedsingle1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

www.facebook.com/gnomegrowncreations

Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

The G names with an N at the end seem to really strike well with the name Dante. I think I'll narrow it down to Grayson and Griffin for now. Thank you, ladies!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I like Grayson too.  I really liked the first name Graylynn (for a girl), but my DH nixed it from the start.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Can I crash this middle name thread instead of starting a new one? A name we really like for a girl is Malia. I've been wanting to use Mae as the middle name like my mom, grandma, and great grandma. Last name starts with R. And the initials irk me. Share initials with a vaccine? Blah. Trying to figure out if I can tolerate that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Can I crash this middle name thread instead of starting a new one? A name we really like for a girl is Malia. I've been wanting to use Mae as the middle name like my mom, grandma, and great grandma. Last name starts with R. And the initials irk me. Share initials with a vaccine? Blah. Trying to figure out if I can tolerate that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Go ahead! I almost crashed the other name thread that someone else had, but didn't. lol

How is the name pronounced? Is it mall- ee- uh or mail-ee-uh?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Go ahead! I almost crashed the other name thread that someone else had, but didn't. lol

How is the name pronounced? Is it mall- ee- uh or mail-ee-uh?

Muh-LEE-uh. Sounds like Maria with an L. I'm trying to figure out if I can pull off Malia Mae without MMR initials. 2nd middle name? but then 4 initials is kinda weird too. Or maybe I need to just get over the initials since its not like it spells something blatantly offensive or embarrassing or provokes teasing. dh likes the spelling Melia.. but I don't. I like the look of the A. But then I could do Amelia and have "Melia" be the nick name but Amelia is pronounced way different from Malia. and most people would never think of Malia as a possible nickname for Amelia anyway, so its pushing it. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 09-02-2011, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Muh-LEE-uh. Sounds like Maria with an L. I'm trying to figure out if I can pull off Malia Mae without MMR initials. 2nd middle name? but then 4 initials is kinda weird too. Or maybe I need to just get over the initials since its not like it spells something blatantly offensive or embarrassing or provokes teasing. dh likes the spelling Melia.. but I don't. I like the look of the A. But then I could do Amelia and have "Melia" be the nick name but Amelia is pronounced way different from Malia. and most people would never think of Malia as a possible nickname for Amelia anyway, so its pushing it. 

Ah! I gotcha. Here's a few that I thought of:

Malia Faith

Malia Joy

Malia Rose

Malia Jade

Malia Paige

Malia Nicole

There are really alot of middle names you could put in that sound good, but I guess it's what sound do you want? I personally didn't like two names having the same sounds within the names, because I didn't want it to rhyme and I didn't want the initials to be the same, but I thought the ones I put out sounded pretty good.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 AM

-

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 AM

Malia Claire.  

Our girl name was Emilia Claire... sigh.  Now we'll never use it.  

Old 09-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Can I crash too?  Dh REALLY wants to give this baby the middle name Danger.  I really want her first name to be Eowyn, which he isn't too thrilled about, but will go ahead with.  Eowyn Danger Robles....... I don't think I can do it, she'd either LOVE it or HATE it.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigekitten View Post

Can I crash too?  Dh REALLY wants to give this baby the middle name Danger.  I really want her first name to be Eowyn, which he isn't too thrilled about, but will go ahead with.  Eowyn Danger Robles....... I don't think I can do it, she'd either LOVE it or HATE it.

Is it pronounced like "you-in"?  As in, You In Danger!  LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist!  I have a friend who named their daughter Rose and her middle name is Rocket.  Personally I don't think girls would find it is fun to have their middle name be Danger, but who knows?  My daughter's middle name is Kapuki.  Yes, Kapuki.  It means "first born daughter" and at first it started off as a joke but then it stuck because it was kind of cute, our little Kapuki-monster.  ;)  She may not like it later, but also the middle name is hardly ever seen.  :: shrugs ::  My DH really wants to name our son Maverick.  I just can't do it...I don't care if it is a nickname, but I won't put it on his birth certificate.  =P

I think the most difficult part for you and your DH is that he doesn't like Eowyn and you don't like Danger, and while sometimes compromise means that no one is really happy, perhaps you should keep looking?  There are lots of beautiful girl names that have the wyn, or y in them and perhaps you could find another intriguing middle name, too?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Everytime I hear Maverick I think Sarah Palin... and then I shudder.

Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersbyjasmin View Post

Is it pronounced like "you-in"?  As in, You In Danger!  LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist!  I have a friend who named their daughter Rose and her middle name is Rocket.  Personally I don't think girls would find it is fun to have their middle name be Danger, but who knows?  My daughter's middle name is Kapuki.  Yes, Kapuki.  It means "first born daughter" and at first it started off as a joke but then it stuck because it was kind of cute, our little Kapuki-monster.  ;)  She may not like it later, but also the middle name is hardly ever seen.  :: shrugs ::  My DH really wants to name our son Maverick.  I just can't do it...I don't care if it is a nickname, but I won't put it on his birth certificate.  =P

I think the most difficult part for you and your DH is that he doesn't like Eowyn and you don't like Danger, and while sometimes compromise means that no one is really happy, perhaps you should keep looking?  There are lots of beautiful girl names that have the wyn, or y in them and perhaps you could find another intriguing middle name, too?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Find that word in a different language that sounds pretty. That way, it sounds pretty and he still gets what he wants. winky.gif

Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Eh-o-win, like from Lord of the Rings.  He's disliked every other name I've suggested more, the only name we kind of agree on is Jane, and we both don't want it for a first name.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Eh-o-win, like from Lord of the Rings.  He's disliked every other name I've suggested more, the only name we kind of agree on is Jane, and we both don't want it for a first name.

Oh, I do like that!  You could always name her Danger Jane and she could go by Jane or D.J. =)    Well, I'm sure you guys figure something out and it will be perfect for you and your sweet baby girl.  I had to give myself about a month long hiatus from looking at names because one or both of us wouldn't like them, that and I couldn't stand telling people the names we were thinking about because they would often pooh-pooh them and kind of blow it for us.  Names are a very sensitive and personal thing, I've noticed.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I really liked Sabriel, Evelyn, and Braedyn or Braelyn.  She ended up being a Jada!  I was almost named Deryn Tia or Deryn Tiffany (yes, child of the 80s here).  Sometimes it just comes to you later on, so be patient with yourself.  =)     

User Tag List