baby names.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-31-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I haven't really posted in here much....life with a toddler has kept me away from Mothering.com!  Anyway, we're due in late Nov with baby #2, and we're totally stuck on names.  Baby #1 is Declan - always my fave boy name and my DP liked it when she heard it.  We didn't know the sex ahead of time, so went into delivery with Declan and Molly.  Declan's middle name is Roger, after his grandpa who died years ago.

We don't know the sex of this baby.  The closest we've come to a boy name is Simon, but we've ditched that.  I'm starting to stress about it a little.....would really like to have some time to kind of "try on" the name to see if we truly like it.  Some of the other boy names we've discarded are:

Simon

Thomas

William

Henry

Darragh

Damien

Cormac

Sean

Seamus

etc., etc.

That might give you an idea of some names that have been considered.  I'd love to stick with an Irish name, but one that's not super popular and one that is somewhat easy to pronounce in the U.S.  Obviously, based on the list above, we've considered Irish and non-Irish names.

Until recently, our girl name was Lily......somewhat in honor of a dear friend who died last year.  We don't want to use her actual name, but her favorite flower was the lily, so that seemed like a special choice for a daughter.  DP now feels that's not "Irish enough" so we're back to square one!  Some girl names that have been discussed and discarded:

Maeve

Bridget (based on ancestors - this is not really a "little kid" name, in my opinion)

Marlo (story behind this one.....it kind of combines my name and DP's name but I just haven't really grabbed onto it for our child)

that's about it.....we're really stuck on girl names!

I know this is a long post.  If it helps, the middle name will be Alan or Susan (g'parent names).  We have a hyphenated surname, which makes this a bit trickier!

I've looked at several websites, and they all seem to offer the same suggestions!  We don't want a really popular name......something a little unique, but nothing too far "out there" if that makes sense!

Thanks for any suggestions!

#2 of 11 Old 08-31-2011, 04:24 PM

One Irish boy's name that I've loved lately is Kieran.  It means "little dark one" I think.  I'm saving it for a second or third son though.  I think Lily is so sweet!  Especially when you combine it with Susan, which means rose.  I wish I could help you more!  Naming is a tricky business!

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#3 of 11 Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM

Having named both my boys names that start with D, I would not recommend choosing another D name.  We are forever mixing the names.  The girls all have different first letters and it is much easier.

Jen - married to my superhero.gif, mama to DD (19), DD (17), DS (13), DSD (13), DS (8), forever missing my Hannah Grace candle.gif born still at 18 weeks, now on bedrest and expecting our miracle rainbow1284.gif in November.

#4 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

I like Kieran.....and someone in Ireland just told us we should use that for a 2nd boy (she has a bro-in-law Declan and a bro-in-law Ciaran!).

Good call on the D names and getting them mixed up.  I really like Darragh and could possibly sway my DP on this one (!)......but then she thinks we'd have to give a 3rd baby a D name to stick with the trend.  It's hard enough narrowing down this time - I can't imagine limiting ourselves to D names the next time!

We're going on a roadtrip this weekend and hoping to take one of those baby name books so we can throw around some ideas in the car.  Maybe something will magically come to us!

#5 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Funny, I had Kieran AND Declan on my list at one point!  ;)  I really like the sound of a lot of Irish names.  Although I have to admit I tabled Kieran because of it's meaning, as you said, "little dark one"--I figured the little guy is already going to be a Scorpio and they are known for there "darkness" as it is!  orngtongue.gif

Caracol8 likes this.
#6 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

For Irish boys I like Finn and Liam.  For girls there are SO many pretty ones! 

We are completely stumped over a boy name.  We cannot come up with one that we like and is meaningful to us!  I refuse to pick a random name, but nothing is coming to us.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 AM

My top 2 choices are Sean and Bennett for little guy.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#8 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Jaimee, I like Finn too - great name!  I agree with you about meaningful names.  Declan means "full of goodness", which I think is lovely (and, of course, true of my sweet boy!).  One of the recent suggestions here (at home) is Cormac, which I like.  A strong name....and my godfather's name!

Names are so tricky......I sometimes wonder if my parents stressed this much about names!

#9 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

My friend just named her son Cormac and they are calling him Mac.  It's pretty cute.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#10 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Would never have thought of that nickname for Cormac (blame pregnancy brain)!  I can just picture my little toddler calling his little bro Mac - cute!  We call Declan "Dec" all the time......Dec and Mac!!

I knew this forum would have some new insight - thanks!

#11 of 11 Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 PM

We're thinking about naming him Charlie.  We're completely uncertain as of yet, but I'm always excited when we find a name we both like.  We'd probably go with Charles just so he could have the "formal" name for later in life, but I have to admit there is a bit of bad ju-ju with DH's father and grandfather who went by "Chuck".  Charlie is also quickly becoming popular as a girl's name (Charlotte) but that doesn't really bother me, I don't imagine it being an issue.  It would just be really funny because he would have such a traditional name, and accidentally incorporate BOTH of DH's grandfather's names. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page