The ONE Thread- September Chit Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

We honestly get rid of some of the stuff (super-religiousy books from my ILs, the plastic stuff with all the lights and sounds (we prefer wooden toys and stuff where Owen has to do the work, not just the press-a-button-and-BAM stuff)  Sometimes we let him play with it for a bit and then sneak it out, especially if he is really excited about it. He never notices.  He might catch on some day though.... We also rotate toys- so we'll put some up in the closet and rotate them out for older ones later so that things are always "fresh" and exciting.  That works really well for us.  

This sounds like it would work. Only, for my son, he gets so attached to certain toys(HALF of the ones he owns) that I would probably have alot of trouble switching them out. lol

#62 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 AM

I love the idea of asking family to purchase experiential gifts rather than toys! biggrinbounce.gif Such a great idea. I'm for sure going to tell my parents that over the holidays! My sister and her son (who turns 4 y/o this weekend) have lived with my parents since he was born, and he has the most toys we have ever seen.... My parents and sister spoiled him just like we were spoiled when we were kids. The house is huge and rooms have been just covered in toys. It's horrible! I don't like to judge how anyone else parents their kids, but since he's family and also was diagnosed autistic, it really gets a rise out of me when I see how much overstimulation they've given the poor kid since infancy. Now that he has outgrown a lot of the toys he used when he was younger, they have taken over my parents' basement and my mom asks me almost every time we talk on the phone, "Do you want any of it?" Even though my DH and I tell her REPEATEDLY that we don't want the toys. She tries to sneak stuff into our house and has successfully done it a few times. I get so enraged!

DH and I are of the mindset (like several others on this forum, I see! smile.gif) that less is more when it comes to toys. I feel that America has gone overboard in convincing parents that they need tons of bright flashy colored decorations and toys around babies and children in order to stimulate their senses and learn. We were both overstimulated as kids with TV, video games, computers, toys, all of that -- and we know how it has impacted our ability to live in the moment and just enjoy life without needing to multitask and be distracted all of the time. We regret a lot of how we were raised in that regard. So we're planning to do more activities with our children and have them rely less on toys. Not to say that we won't let them play with toys at all! But I like the idea of giving them building blocks and wooden toys that aren't as crazy looking and stimulating as some of the flashing talking crazy colored items my nephew was bombarded with.

Has anyone else had a hard time taking criticism from people about not giving your children a ton of stuff to play with all of the time? I can already feel the judgment from my family coming... lol

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#63 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

I love the idea of asking family to purchase experiential gifts rather than toys! biggrinbounce.gif Such a great idea. I'm for sure going to tell my parents that over the holidays! My sister and her son (who turns 4 y/o this weekend) have lived with my parents since he was born, and he has the most toys we have ever seen.... My parents and sister spoiled him just like we were spoiled when we were kids. The house is huge and rooms have been just covered in toys. It's horrible! I don't like to judge how anyone else parents their kids, but since he's family and also was diagnosed autistic, it really gets a rise out of me when I see how much overstimulation they've given the poor kid since infancy. Now that he has outgrown a lot of the toys he used when he was younger, they have taken over my parents' basement and my mom asks me almost every time we talk on the phone, "Do you want any of it?" Even though my DH and I tell her REPEATEDLY that we don't want the toys. She tries to sneak stuff into our house and has successfully done it a few times. I get so enraged!

DH and I are of the mindset (like several others on this forum, I see! smile.gif) that less is more when it comes to toys. I feel that America has gone overboard in convincing parents that they need tons of bright flashy colored decorations and toys around babies and children in order to stimulate their senses and learn. We were both overstimulated as kids with TV, video games, computers, toys, all of that -- and we know how it has impacted our ability to live in the moment and just enjoy life without needing to multitask and be distracted all of the time. We regret a lot of how we were raised in that regard. So we're planning to do more activities with our children and have them rely less on toys. Not to say that we won't let them play with toys at all! But I like the idea of giving them building blocks and wooden toys that aren't as crazy looking and stimulating as some of the flashing talking crazy colored items my nephew was bombarded with.

Has anyone else had a hard time taking criticism from people about not giving your children a ton of stuff to play with all of the time? I can already feel the judgment from my family coming... lol

If there are as many toys as you say there are, they'd probably make $200 or more selling them in a garage sale.

And to answer your question, yes. From my mom eyesroll.gif . I'm alot like my dad in the fact that I'm minimalistic without making a child unahppy. I remember him throwing out toys we didn't play with or were broken or missing pieces, but we were always happy with what we had. Because she saw him throwing stuff out all the time, she assumed he was just being a jerk and throwing out our toys just because and now she compensates by getting my son all this CRAP that he doesn't need cuz he's already got it and then he ends up not playing with it. In my mind, if they don't come back around to the same toy in a month, there are too many toys for them to keep track of to actually play with.

#64 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote originally posted by IwannaBanRN:

In my mind, if they don't come back around to the same toy in a month, there are too many toys for them to keep track of to actually play with.

AMEN!!! And yes, my sister and/or mom could make well over hundreds of $ selling the toys. Heck, my nephew even has a ball pit... he has it all. I think my sister used to sell some toys on eBay and then buy new ones with that money. Now I'm not sure if my mom is just guilting me into taking toys or if this is true, but she claims that my sister is keeping these remaining toys for my baby. My sister and I never speak so I kind of find that hard to believe...

On another note, I CANNOT STOP NESTING!!! Becky, you said you wanted some of this energy the other day, right? Please, take it! I spent 4 hours deep cleaning the house this morning. I don't even know what happened, it went by in a blur. From the second I woke up, I just got to work and then realized it's lunchtime and I hadn't even eaten breakfast! So unlike me. I'm loving the clean house now, but dang I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.... LOL. And I have completely lost count of how many loads of laundry I've done in the past few days. I usually procrastinate on laundry forever. Now I'm volunteering to clean whatever hubby needs whenever he needs it. I just want to keep cleaning! Being excited to get my prefolds ready has probably had SOMETHING to do with that... haha

Is it normal to be nesting this early at 29-30 weeks along? I was under the impression that women start nesting as they get really close to delivery. But I'm still a ways away! The baby better keep cookin' in there. lol.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#65 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 AM

It's hard, birdhappy85.  It's really hard.  My son is 2.5 years old and we've been trying to lay the groundwork for gift-giving since before he was born.  I know we come across as sticks-in-the-mud to many people (family and friends alike).  That's hard, because that is not our intent.  We want Owen to enjoy life and have the things he needs and some of the things he wants, but our strategy in achieving that is different than other people's- like you said, we do more experiential stuff and give less-stimulating toys so that he can react within his own environment and learn to enjoy life.  I get all worked up about it because my degree is in child development and psychology, so I know the research behind it as well.  My mom is convinced that if he has all the LeapFrog stuff that he'll learn to read earlier.  Um, so not true.  Reading BOOKS to him might help that, but not having some toy read to him.  Sorry. 

Besides the overstimulation and issues surrounding whether or not he is engaging his mind when he is playing with toys, there is the minimalist aspect that I have mentioned previously.  Again, I come across as a stickler or prude when I talk about it, but these values are really important to us.  I don't want a house full of toys (we live in a 900sq ft place!)  I don't want him to think that birthdays and holidays are about the gifts.  I don't want him to think he NEEDS every toy he sees, and that if he asks for them that grandma will get them for him.  I want him to appreciate relationships over things, experiences over stuff.  You know?  Besides, we all know firsthand that MOST of the toys are cool for a day and then sit untouched.  Ridiculous waste of space, if you ask me.

It's hard to balance those ideals with allowing people to give as they please.  I understand the desire to buy things and bless others.  I understand that it feels good to give gifts.  I love gift giving.  However, I think there is a line between reasonable and unreasonable.  I've moved that line and allowed more gifts than we'd personally prefer so that others can feel like they can bless our son, but still they go WAY beyond the line.  Super unreasonable numbers of gifts, seriously.  That's why we pare it down ourselves and get rid of many things.  Many, many things.  Especially things we are completely opposed to, like flash cards or guns :)  Lol.

I can appreciate what you're saying about how you feel gifts affected you as a child and even as an adult.  That is what I fear for my kids.  I know that I thought "oh, when it's my birthday I get THIS from gma" or "so and so will bring me gifts when they come over".  I was focused on the gift or money, not on the thoughtfulness or reason behind it, if that makes sense.  I don't think I'm strange, in that regard.  Kids aren't often able to think more deeply about it, and that is why I feel like it will boil down to "wow, grandma gets me whatever I want but mom and dad won't buy me anything".  I may never know that they think that, but it bothers me.  And still, it comes back to holidays and special events being equated with LOTS of gifts.  I don't like that.  A handful of gifts, even 2 or 3, is plenty.  Those special days hold a lot more meaning than the material goods.  

Some things that have and haven't worked for us in trying to let our parents know what types of gifts we prefer:

- we talk about our values in person, all year long, not just before the holiday.  If they're listening (many have caught on) they know we are eco-conscious and minimalists and buy accordingly.  Try to bring it up naturally.

- some people can't make the connection between eco-conscious living and appropriate gifts (ahem, my in-laws) so we have to be more clear.  In this case we have sent websites that sell wooden toys so they can peruse and find stuff they like within an appropriate realm, or we pick out a few brands that we really like and we tell them about them (i.e. Plan Toys or GreenToys).  My MIL is good at thinking in those terms, so that helps.  Most people can't just hear "organic" or "green" and know what to get.  Specific brands are crucial.
- Unfortunately, it may seem pushy to send websites or gift ideas, but many stores (Target, etc.) don't carry green-toys.  Almost everything in regular stores is overstimulating and made in China, so we try to direct them elsewhere as much as possible.

- limiting the number hasn't worked for us.  We've tried to suggest a 3-gift limit.  I think everyone interprets "3" differently. 

- we've tried stating our values in a letter so they can really read through it and understand.  Didn't seem to work.  I think engaging in conversation about it is easier so they can ask questions, etc. 

- Being agreeable surrounding this issue is key.  Demands don't work- gift-giving is a sensitive subject since the gift-giver has feelings attached to it as well, so saying things like "we want you to be able to buy things for him that you like, but we also prefer...______."  or "We feel so blessed by everything you do for us, and we're looking forward to the creative gifts you find" or just make it about the child- we think of arts and crafts type gifts, or we let family know that he loves trains, or would like a drum, or wants some lincoln logs or building blocks.  If you make it about the kid enjoying those things, then they feel like they are getting the child something they really want instead of just heeding your suggestions.

At the end of the day, you are the gatekeeper for what stays in your home.  They never have to know what happens to it!  Gift recipients are not obligated to keep or use the gift.  We're just obligated to say thank you.  (How many tacky sweaters have we all pitched over the years?)

Best of luck.  I hope it works out better for you than it has for us!

Quote:

#66 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 AM

I'm so glad that I am in like company here with regards to the toys/baby stuff!

My mom and I went to BRU the other day because her and my dad are buying our stroller/car seat combo thing. I plan to be very AP and am not sure how much the stroller will get used, but I obviously need a car seat and the stroller is a three wheel jogger thing, so that would be nice for the trails around my house. I'm sure I'll use it, but not right away.

ANYWAY - she kept going down the aisles and asking, "Do you have a play pen on your registry? You need one of those. How about a swing? And a bouncer? And a bassinet? And a blahblah.gif"

And then she laughs and says, "Oh, your house is going to be so full of baby stuff!!" 

I decide to not hold back and say, "Honestly, I don't think so. It's just a baby, it doesn't NEED all this STUFF. Our house will not be full of this shit." She looked at me like: blush.gif

I've never been a mother - but if people could raise healthy and happy children for the last millennia without all this stuff, why can't I? I am such a minimalistic person and clutter drives me up the walls! And I'm with you girls - I'm not a fan of the plastic flashy blinky noise making toys. I'd like wood and natural fiber toys. That's all I've put on my registries.

#67 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Just because it's at BRU does NOT mean baby needs it.  Ugh.

We got a bouncy seat for this baby.  That's it.  No swing, no bassinet, no jumperoo, no "other places to put baby".  I'll be slinging him and we don't need ten million things to put him in.  Babies need to be held!  That issue drives me bonkers.  Hahaha.  If he seems to need some sort of swing, we can borrow.  But DS1 hated the swing.  I know some babies need different types of motion to soothe them (if a parent's touch isn't working) but our philosophy was to borrow while we needed it and then give it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

I'm so glad that I am in like company here with regards to the toys/baby stuff!

My mom and I went to BRU the other day because her and my dad are buying our stroller/car seat combo thing. I plan to be very AP and am not sure how much the stroller will get used, but I obviously need a car seat and the stroller is a three wheel jogger thing, so that would be nice for the trails around my house. I'm sure I'll use it, but not right away.

ANYWAY - she kept going down the aisles and asking, "Do you have a play pen on your registry? You need one of those. How about a swing? And a bouncer? And a bassinet? And a blahblah.gif"

And then she laughs and says, "Oh, your house is going to be so full of baby stuff!!" 

I decide to not hold back and say, "Honestly, I don't think so. It's just a baby, it doesn't NEED all this STUFF. Our house will not be full of this shit." She looked at me like: blush.gif

I've never been a mother - but if people could raise healthy and happy children for the last millennia without all this stuff, why can't I? I am such a minimalistic person and clutter drives me up the walls! And I'm with you girls - I'm not a fan of the plastic flashy blinky noise making toys. I'd like wood and natural fiber toys. That's all I've put on my registries.

#68 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Borrowing is a very good idea! I'm just like you in that we have been getting all used stuff for this baby - and it's all quality stuff! I just LOVE a bargain and also buying used instead of new where there's a whole lot of new packaging and all this.

My cousin's wife has insisted that we borrow her antique basinet swing thing, so I think we'll be using that if we need to rock baby to sleep or anything. And if we end up feeling like we need a sing or a jumper or something, I'd rather have waiting to know if we needed it than just buying it to buy it because BRU says we should lol.gif And buying it used. thumb.gif

Quote:

We got a bouncy seat for this baby.  That's it.  No swing, no bassinet, no jumperoo, no "other places to put baby".  I'll be slinging him and we don't need ten million things to put him in.  Babies need to be held!  That issue drives me bonkers.  Hahaha.  If he seems to need some sort of swing, we can borrow.  But DS1 hated the swing.  I know some babies need different types of motion to soothe them (if a parent's touch isn't working) but our philosophy was to borrow while we needed it and then give it back.

#69 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Craig's List has been our go to for all things baby.  I've bought and sold two swings there and made money both times.  lol.gif  I'll be doing that again as I personally found the swing a great help when trying to take a shower or prepare a meal where babywearing wasn't really ideal. 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#70 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 PM

I have a room full of hand-me-downs and I love it!  I even got a barely used stroller/carseat combo from my SIL.  I got a swing at a garage sale for $8.  Ive only spent money on some AIO's and some inserts...and materials I used to make other types of diapering things.  I only plan on buying a monitor.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#71 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM

I got some fab deals on CL, too! I got our crib for side-carring on CL for $30. And ALL the cloth diapers I will need (hopefully more so - we're going to try EC) for a grand total of $90. I have about 100 pre-folds and about 50 bummis, thirsties, and prowrap covers - about ten of each size. Sheepish.gif

I also bought all my maternity clothes on CL! One lady was selling a lot in my size - I got 12 pairs of pants/capris/skirts/shorts and 20 shirts for $50! joy.gif I've only bought one shirt since then because it was really cute and a swimsuit - but that was marked way down for a 'defect' I've still yet to discover ROTFLMAO.gif

#72 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Question:

Have any of you had any luck getting rid of a wart using a natural remedy?? I have this wart on my finger that I've had for YEARS. I've had the doctor burn it off, I've used the home burning kit, I've used two bottles of that nasty wart remover crap, I've put tea-tree oil on it and bandaids for weeks on end... NOTHING will kill it!! 

Any other ideas? I'd love to have it gone before baby gets here.

#73 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:

AMEN!!! And yes, my sister and/or mom could make well over hundreds of $ selling the toys. Heck, my nephew even has a ball pit... he has it all. I think my sister used to sell some toys on eBay and then buy new ones with that money. Now I'm not sure if my mom is just guilting me into taking toys or if this is true, but she claims that my sister is keeping these remaining toys for my baby. My sister and I never speak so I kind of find that hard to believe...

On another note, I CANNOT STOP NESTING!!! Becky, you said you wanted some of this energy the other day, right? Please, take it! I spent 4 hours deep cleaning the house this morning. I don't even know what happened, it went by in a blur. From the second I woke up, I just got to work and then realized it's lunchtime and I hadn't even eaten breakfast! So unlike me. I'm loving the clean house now, but dang I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.... LOL. And I have completely lost count of how many loads of laundry I've done in the past few days. I usually procrastinate on laundry forever. Now I'm volunteering to clean whatever hubby needs whenever he needs it. I just want to keep cleaning! Being excited to get my prefolds ready has probably had SOMETHING to do with that... haha

Is it normal to be nesting this early at 29-30 weeks along? I was under the impression that women start nesting as they get really close to delivery. But I'm still a ways away! The baby better keep cookin' in there. lol.gif

I actually got some of that nesting bug yesterday. You would not BELIEVE how much of my son's baby stuff I found when I went treasure hunting yesterday. lol I found a drawer full of newborn, 0-3 month, and 3-6 month clothes, receiving blankets, washcloths, blue crib sheets. It was great. lol

Maybe you could take the toys off their hands and sell them yourself. LMAO

#74 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I got a free swing the other day, but he won't be getting any of the other "cool baby stuff". I also agree that babies need held. My mom, oh goodness! When I had my son, she kept saying pick him up, pick him up! You won't be able to spoil him with holding until he's about 4 months old. Now, when I had my daughter, she was a bit needy during the day for the first 4 months. Then she turns around and says "you're spoiling her by holding her too much. Put her down." I told her I would do nothing of the sort and remind her of what she'd said about my son at this stage and now it's different with my daughter? Puh-lease! She favors him, for sure.

#75 of 127 Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

To play the other side of the toy story here..  I think it's okay to cater the toys you purchase to the child.  My DS is a very linear kid.  He has never played well with open ended toys, they were always the first to get abandoned.  However, he cherished his very idea-specific toys (cars, thomas trains, puzzles, building kits, etc).  If I give him a lego kit, he can build it perfectly all by himself.  If I give him a pile of legos he just gets frustrated and abandons them.  Most kids have an imagination, my son does not..  I started out his life by giving him nice wooden blocks, trucks, etc, but they just didn't work for him..  I quickly abandoned that idea and allowed him to have plastic toys that looked like the real object.  We always joke that the world needs accountants.. Ha ha.  My DD on the other hand is really starting to use her imagination (she's 24mo), it's like light and day with their personalities.   

I also agree that babies don't need much stuff!  I have a bouncy seat for when I'm in the bathroom (it lives there), a co-sleeper and that's about it.  I got a stroller as a baby gift for my DD and I didn't use it at all until I got pregnant with this baby.  I highly doubt that this new baby will be in a stroller until she's way over 1yo.  I really find baby-wearing so much more convenient than a stroller (plus way better for the baby).  I do have many different baby carriers though (many that I made).  :) 

I've been nesting too.  I really want my house to be clean all the time, but HA HA HA..  I've been doing a million canning, gardening, and wine making projects on top of it all.  Today I picked 200lbs of peaches and made, 12 gallons of wine, canned peaches, peach salsa, peach juice, peace sauce and froze some.  Whew, and I only made it through a little more than half of them!  Tomorrow I'm going to have to get creative with my peach recipes!  Oh, and I have about 100lbs of plums to process too (mostly these will become prunes)..  Sometimes I go way over board with picking fruit!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#76 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Had a close call with my DD yesterday and I didn't even know it until last night. My DH had bought some smirnoff, which I didn't know about either until last night and put some in a cup with juice in it the other night. Well, yesterday, I was getting Casey some juice and had thought about eliminating the cup in the fridge with the juice DH never drank in it. I never DID pour that into her cup, but DH pulled it out of the fridge last night and put it in a bigger cup with more juice and more smirnoff and I said "when did you get that?"(because it was only half full by that time)

"Last night" And then he poured the cup into the bigger cup and said "half of it is in this cup" My eyes almost bugged out of my head and I said "you know, I almost put that in our daughter's cup today" He felt bad, but maybe he shouldn't be sneaking alcohol. He had hidden it in the car and then I almost gave alcohol to my child without even knowing it. I have almost no sense of smell, so I can't smell alcohol, even if I sat there and smelled for hours. I was mad, but I knew it wasn't DH's fault, other than the fact that he hid alcohol from me. For no reason at that! I don't care if he drinks, why he was hiding it, I have no clue.

Not to mention, if I had had to take her to the hospital because she was lethargic and throwing up, I wouldn't have had a car to get there and once I DID get to the hospital, I know they would have taken her from me and said I had given it to her on purpose or that I was unfit because I couldn't tell the difference between alcohol or juice. Gah!

#77 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm sorry that happened, Becky! I'm glad to hear that your daughter didn't end up ingesting the juice. I'm sure hubby is in the doghouse today! irked.gif If there's one thing I've learned about men who may not think to communicate certain things or are unintentionally careless or forgetful at times, it's that once they make a mistake that could've really hurt the ones they love, they tend to become more aware in certain areas and take better care to be more mindful. I'm sure that doesn't happen in all cases, but I imagine when it comes to a man's children, he'll especially be more vigilant now.

#78 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry that happened, Becky! I'm glad to hear that your daughter didn't end up ingesting the juice. I'm sure hubby is in the doghouse today! irked.gif If there's one thing I've learned about men who may not think to communicate certain things or are unintentionally careless or forgetful at times, it's that once they make a mistake that could've really hurt the ones they love, they tend to become more aware in certain areas and take better care to be more mindful. I'm sure that doesn't happen in all cases, but I imagine when it comes to a man's children, he'll especially be more vigilant now.

Oh yes! He felt very badly. He ADORES his princess, and couldn't imagine that happening to her, accidentally or otherwise.

#79 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM

Awww, his princess. love.gif Just hearing those words gets me so excited that we're having a little girl cuz I can't wait to see hubby fall in love with his little girl too! biggrinbounce.gif

#80 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Joanie, you don't know that HALF of it! lol He's the one that HAS to put her to bed and tuck her in. He calls her princess all the time. It's so adorable and makes me love him even more. The other night he was telling Casey about how him and I met and our journey to having her and he came out of her room in tears. luxlove.gif

#81 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Awwww!!! That's so sweet! You got me laughing and tearing up at the same time just picturing that. lol.gif I'm such a sap.

#82 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Awwww!!! That's so sweet! You got me laughing and tearing up at the same time just picturing that. lol.gif I'm such a sap.

love.gif I teared up when he told me why he was crying. lol It makes me smile whenever I think about it. If your DH loves your DD as much as my DH loves Casey, you will fall in love with him all over again everyday.

#83 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Awww, his princess. love.gif Just hearing those words gets me so excited that we're having a little girl cuz I can't wait to see hubby fall in love with his little girl too! biggrinbounce.gif

My husband is "manly".  He does manly things...and works on cars...and does man stuff.  Haha.

But he regularly has his toes painted pink under his work boots :)

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#84 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

My husband is "manly".  He does manly things...and works on cars...and does man stuff.  Haha.

HAHAHA I am CONVINCED that DH will end up with painted toenails and getting his hair brushed by the time my daughter hits your DD's age. That is too cute!

#85 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

LOL @ this! My male coworker has a 3-year-old daughter and he came to work one day in sandals with his toenails painted too. I love seeing that, it's HILARIOUS.

My husband is definitely going to be the type to dote on his daughter. She's going to bring out a whole new level of emotion in him I've probably never seen before. I tell him that all of the time. He just laughs at me -- but I'm betting on it! When he's super affectionate with me, I can just tell how much greater of a dad he'll be to a little cute cuddly wanting-to-snuggle-with-daddy daughter. love.gif But he'll balance that out with teaching her a ton of sports, haha. He says he can't wait to play sports with his kids. I love that he wants to be so active with them!

Alright I need to stop thinking about this because it's making me tear up and become more impatient for November to be here. LOL.

#86 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Luckily, most kids won't drink alcohol, so even if she got some she's probably have abandoned it.  I've seen kids take sips of liquor and rarely more than one sip goes down..   

My DH is also super sappy with our DD.  I'm sure his toe-nails will be painted pink soon enough. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#87 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

Luckily, most kids won't drink alcohol, so even if she got some she's probably have abandoned it.  I've seen kids take sips of liquor and rarely more than one sip goes down..   

My sister was an exception to this when we were little. ROTFLMAO.gif I think I was around 4 y/o and she was maybe 5 or 6. My dad had just opened a can of beer and then got a phone call and left the room, forgetting about the beer for a little bit. My sister drank the beer and when my dad came back, she was standing on the couch swaying with her arms in the air. LOL. I laugh at it now because I remember just how drunk she was... she was totally fine, though. Didn't need medical attention. My dad is a doctor anyway and kept a close eye on her. She always did love the taste of beer; she'd ask people for a sip at family functions while we were growing up. My dad still jokes about "that time when we were little." I would be more worried about hard liquor, though, since it's more potent.

#88 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLady View Post

Question:

Have any of you had any luck getting rid of a wart using a natural remedy?? I have this wart on my finger that I've had for YEARS. I've had the doctor burn it off, I've used the home burning kit, I've used two bottles of that nasty wart remover crap, I've put tea-tree oil on it and bandaids for weeks on end... NOTHING will kill it!! 

Any other ideas? I'd love to have it gone before baby gets here.

My sister put apple cider vinegar on her finger wart every night with a bandaid.  I think it took a week to turn black and fall off.  But she wishes she had kept up with it a week after it fell off, because that would have nipped it in the bud better - it's coming back slowly.  But it's worth a try thumbsup.gif

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

#89 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Thank you! I will give it a try! thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracol8 View Post

My sister put apple cider vinegar on her finger wart every night with a bandaid.  I think it took a week to turn black and fall off.  But she wishes she had kept up with it a week after it fell off, because that would have nipped it in the bud better - it's coming back slowly.  But it's worth a try thumbsup.gif

#90 of 127 Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 PM

If nothing else will kill the wart, maybe your dermatologist could use a laser to remove it more permanently? I had a really aggressive wart on my hand and some on my feet when I was little and a podiatrist ended up using some sort of laser to zap them dead. I won't lie, it hurt really bad; but the warts died and fell off and never returned - unlike other treatments I had tried. I'd go through it again in a heartbeat. Warts suck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page