Diapers and baby shower - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've only read the original post, so sorry if I'm repeating anything. My personal experience... I told everyone I knew we were doing cloth and everyone coming to my showers knew we were doing cloth, but I still got some disposables. I ended up using them in the beginning, we had enough for about 2 weeks then I switched to cloth. If you're okay with buying eco-friendly, you'd be surprised with Target and BRU. They do have some of the eco-friendly brands of disposables and liners. If they aren't in the store, they are likely online. So, if you do get a bunch of disposables you don't think you'll use, you could take them back for store credit and get the eco-friendly ones you want.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#32 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 PM

I totally understand where you are coming from, Birdhappy85!   I think it's a fine line when someone is giving a gift- isn't it sort of their responsibility to think through what they are buying to be sure that the recipient will enjoy it, and that it isn't just something that THEY like?  I do that as a gift-giver- I analyze and analyze and analyze a gift before I give it so I am sure that they will like it.  It seems some folks just pick up whatever they think is cute.  My MIL gets my son all sorts of really cheesy, really "girly" books (now, I'm totally not usually a gender-stereotyper but they really are pretty fluffy books... which would be fine if he enjoyed them but he defaults to the really boy-ish stuff (not my doing. Ha. I don't know where some boys get the affinity for trucks and tools, but he's got it, though his father and I tried not to sway him))  He likes them well enough at first but they KNOW that he loves animals, trucks, etc... So it just makes me wonder if she buys them just because she likes them, or if she is really thinking "Oh I'll bet O will like this butterfly and rainbow book instead of that dump truck book".  Go with the dump truck book, lady. winky.gif  Lol.

I think the older generation does find lists impersonal, but what is more personal than gifts I hand-picked?!  So frustrating.  I don't think it's ungrateful- I mean, it's almost kind of hurtful to me when I feel like people don't know me well enough to know that something they got was a terrible gift idea for me.... Gifting is definitely a sensitive issue for everyone involved, though, so I try to be as appreciative as I can in the moment.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

This is totally how I feel, too.  My MIL is big into not buying off of lists for holidays, birthdays, and registries.  She thinks that buying something that she finds that she thinks we'll like is more personal than just getting something off a list.  I think that she'd be right IF she found things we actually did want and need.  But usually it's not!  So when people get us things we really need off our lists, I get really excited and I'm so grateful.

#33 of 41 Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

There are several fine brands of diaper liners including Bummis Biosoft liners (softer, degrade quicker, useable in sewer or septic), Imse Vimse (much thicker, but lay in the diaper better and can survive a few wash cycles if just peed on), Kushies (not recommended for septic tanks, I believe they can be washed a few times, too), GroVia (these are new, so I'm not sure about them yet, but they seem quite large for nb's), Bumkins (not recommended for septic), Real Nappies (I haven't used these personally), CuteyBaby (haven't used them, but they seem good and cheaper than other brands).

I have been using the GroVia liners because they are the most natural that I could find.  I think they work great and I like how large they are.  They are not stiff or scratchy:)   As for rewashing and reusing, I have seen customer reviews that said it can be done, but mine come out of the wash and they are coming apart a little, so I save them and use them instead of toilet paper to pick off poop if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

Quote:

Is it so wrong of me to be disappointed at the idea that people will go so unpractical with gift-giving, though? My hang-up with all of this is that I take it personally when friends and family basically show me that they don't "know me" or just take what I view as the "selfish route" by getting me something THEY'D like even though they know I'm not that kind of person at all... That kind of stuff is insulting to me, but apparently that makes me "ungrateful" I guess. My husband and I are such simple people and everyone knows that. They also know how into natural stuff I am. It makes me feel like they're trying to change me or disapprove of my lifestyle when they get me something that I CLEARLY wouldn't use. I guess I just can't wrap my head around that mentality. I'm like 2011mama in the way that I always go off of a registry when people have one. Those are things they explicitly WANT and/or NEED! Especially for a new mom, I would never just buy her something not on her registry unless I knew for sure that she would love it and use it. But I would never assume.

I feel the same way.  You said that so well!  Everyone knows that I am in to natural/organic too, and they really dont care and sometimes they even buy me something conventional because they think it is "just fine" and think I am being silly and obsessive about preferring natural stuff, and they thought they could teach me a lesson about how conventional products work just as well or better than those ridiculously expensive ones that I want.

My last baby shower, NO ONE got ANYTHING off of my registry!  The other reason why I would be offended is because I took the time to register and find all the things on there and add them and all that, and I feel like I totally wasted my time if people dont even bother to look at it!!

Last time when I was going to be a new mom, I of course needed everything, and people did what someone else said- bought a bunch of stuffed animals and some onsies, and Huggies, and that was what I got from everyone!  So, I had to buy everything that I actually NEEDED myself, and we did not and still do not have much money, so it was/is pretty frustrating.

#34 of 41 Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but when our son was born we got two packages of disposables: Pampers and Huggies. We hadn't registered for any diapers and a lot of people knew we planned to use cloth. I think it was just some people's traditional gift...come to the hospital to visit, drop off a package of diapers. I don't have a problem with that.

We thought they would be great for our out of state trip when our son was 2-3 weeks old. We kicked ourselves for not taking the cloth diapers along, after a week of washing and sunning the carseat, his clothes, and our clothes, wiping puddles of pee off picnic tables, etc.  The only time we've used disposables since then is when we are on a plane ride, and then use cloth once we reach our destination. Disposables just don't hold in the newborn poop.

You can always return them somewhere, or use a few out of the package and then donate the rest to an organization or a friend!

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#35 of 41 Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

Are you actually able to return packs of diapers to Walmart without a receipt and without having known where the purchaser even got them at? I've never returned anything anywhere without a receipt before so I didn't know if some companies will actually allow that, especially if the items might not have been purchased there.

Babies R Us will do this if they sell the same thing in their store. It got tricky for us because they'd buy things at Toys R Us, and the stock is slightly different at Babies R Us. The boxes would be say, 108 diapers at one store, and 100 diapers at another. That made tracking down a place to exchange a little difficult.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#36 of 41 Old 09-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

You know, it might be good to get a random variety of diapers.  Naturally based or not.  Each diaper fits a baby differently and it might be good to know what works best on your baby.  If they don't get used (totally possible) you can give them away easily enough.  My friends and I have passed around many different brands of diapers that didn't fit our own babies well.  What worked on my DD might massively leak on another baby.

This, entirely. We got what we called "The wall of diapers" at my first baby shower. We REQUESTED disposables, however, and that, if nothing else, people buy a thing of diapers to help us out. We seriously didn't have to buy a diaper for 3 months, it was AWESOME. However, for someone who doesn't want disposables, unless it's the specific brand you requested? Well, you can trade them in a Target and BRU if they come with gift receipts or even without, if you like. But I agree with Abraisme--you never know what's going to work best for your baby until you try. Based on reviews alone, I won't get the natural diapers because of the number of reviewers that said they leak like crazy and aren't super obvious that baby wet them. We do pretty much half and half cloth and disposables for various reasons (like never having found a cloth diaper that didn't leak in a carseat and having a baby who consistently got rashes if she was in cloth at night, etc.).

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#37 of 41 Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for the replies!

I just had to share how excited I am right now! biggrinbounce.gif I've been visiting Craigslist daily to find people selling secondhand cloth diapers in my area so I can add more of a variety to my stash with little funds. It's been slow-going lately and not many people have been posting ads for CD's nor ones I'm interested in. But I hit the jackpot today! I'm so glad I looked when I did. I emailed this woman right away and thankfully I was the first person to email her and get first dibs because she said that she received a ton of emails after that! As silly as it sounds, it feels like it was meant to be. Almost all of the items she had listed were exactly the items I've been wanting to add to my stash! I'm getting the same brand wet/dry diaper bags I've been looking at, and she even had the Imse Vimse flushable diaper liners that jbk21 suggested on here and I was going to buy. The best part is that the woman only used some of the items once and others not at all, so it's literally brand new diapers for ridiculously low prices. GMD prefolds, bumGenius pocket diapers (one OS, one AIO I'm eager to try), more Thirsties duo wraps in prints and colors I don't have, a few Flips w/ inserts, and doublers that will really come in handy. Some of the items, never been used, are half off. I'm saving around $135!!! blush.gif The only reason she is selling everything is because she had a lot on her plate when her daughter was born and ended up not having the time to dedicate to CDing like she wanted, and now she just needs the money and doesn't plan on having more children quite yet.

So I'm happy as a clam. I'm picking everything up tomorrow! I already have my other cloth diapers on display on the changing table in our nursery. LOL. I just think they're so cute, I like looking at them.

On another note, I was wondering if anybody here uses Dreft? (NOT for cloth diapering, I'm just asking in general for baby clothes) I know a lot of people here use natural detergents and probably stay away from Dreft. I was just wondering if anyone has personally had allergies to it themselves, or if your children have? My mom bought me a bottle of it and I'm still on the fence about using it. I might give it away or donate it, especially since I bought Country Save and am liking that. My cousin was so sweet and mailed me a package of baby clothes today. They were saturated with detergent, though, because the fragrance on the clothes was so strong from the moment I opened the box. I had the box sitting several feet away from me for just 10 minutes and I started getting a headache, breathing heavier, and I've been sneezing with a runny nose and dripping eyes still 6 hours later. greensad.gif I don't know what kind of detergent that was, but it got me thinking that maybe even the little bit of fragrance that Dreft has could do that to me too -- and/or my baby. I suppose I shouldn't even risk it. I just put all of those baby clothes through 2 washes with washing soda and extra rinses to get out the smell. The first round in the wash barely touched it! But I think I got it all out now. Whew.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#38 of 41 Old 09-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Dreft has the same ingredient list as Gain detergent, if that tells you anything.  There is a scented and unscented version- but unscented doesn't mean perfume-free, it just means there are perfumes used to neutralize other scents in the detergent so that it smells unscented.  If that makes sense :)  So it might irritate yours or baby's senses.  I would stick to something truly fragrance-free.  

#39 of 41 Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xakana View Post

Based on reviews alone, I won't get the natural diapers because of the number of reviewers that said they leak like crazy and aren't super obvious that baby wet them. We do pretty much half and half cloth and disposables for various reasons (like never having found a cloth diaper that didn't leak in a carseat and having a baby who consistently got rashes if she was in cloth at night, etc.).

I read all the bad reviews about natural diapers, but tried them anyway, and the ones I have tried I liked, never had any probs.  I know that some natural diapers used to be bad but the companys updated them and now they work better, but the old reviews are still there.   But I have started cloth diapering now, and have been doing so for about 11 months and love it and highly prefer it to disposables- Huggies, or natural!

And I think Dreft is nasty and gives me a headache.  I've only smelled it at other peoples house, never used it, cant imagine using it.  Not environmentally friendly either!  I use Ecos from Walmart, it is really cheap, works good on my diapers and clothes, I dont have to order it on the internet, and its environmentally friendly and contains no synthetic nasty cancer causing fragrances!

#40 of 41 Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 AM

I got a sample of Dreft somewhere when my DD was tiny. I used it on the baby clothes, and OMG. It smelled horrible, and it left suds all over the washer, even after the cycle was complete. It was horrible. I washed the clothes like 3 times to get it all out.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#41 of 41 Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Dreft is very far from a "free and clear" detergent.  There is absolutely no reason to use it- not on diapers, not on clothes.  It's all marketing.  Definitely donate it or return it.  I mean, if you're going to all this trouble to get an environmentally friendly and baby friendly detergent for your diapers, why use crap for the rest of your clothes?  It's sort of like going to all the trouble of making your own cleaning products just to clean the bath tub where you will bathe baby, but using bleach for the rest of your house.  At least, that's my thought...  winky.gif

There are a million detergents you can get that are usually available locally.  I personally buy Planet by the case through our local UNFI co-op and Amazon has it for a decent deal as well.  Here are some websites to check out for detergents:

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm (click the HE link if you have a front loader)

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

You'll see that Dreft gets an avoid rating.  With the Ecos, you need to be sure to get the free and clear, not the one with fabric softeners.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page