Diapers and baby shower - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright, I have a question for all of you mothers out there who have had baby showers before, or for those of you who have been to a lot of baby showers and can shed some light on this subject!

When my MIL made our baby shower invitations and sent them out a month or two ago, I hadn't decided yet what kind of diapers we were going to use for our baby and so I didn't think to add a note in the invites specifying what I know now - that we want to use natural, eco-friendly disposables and mostly cloth diapers. I have started a CD stash but I'd like to have some disposables on hand in the newborn stage while we're adjusting to parenthood and for other occasions when they might be needed.

As I've mentioned on other threads, my mom has been very critical of my desire to cloth diaper for a million reasons. I haven't talked to other family members of mine or DH's about our decision. The topic never arose, so they're in the dark. My mom has also mentioned to me that people might get us disposables at our baby shower. I didn't realize people do that. I'd hope they stick to our registry, however unrealistic of a wish that is...

My question then is this: Is it really that common that people will gift you disposables at baby showers?

I added a note to my BRU registry kindly requesting that diaper purchases be based solely on the brands listed on our registry and stated that we are using eco-friendly disposables and CDs. I don't know if anyone will even notice that message, though. I think it just shows up in small print at the top of a print-out. Oy. duh.gif And the Target website won't let me leave a message that's more than 25 characters long, so I can't even type a notice into that one for anyone to see.

Maybe I should just call up my mom and MIL and explain my concerns to both of them so they can pass the message along? Or is that too controlling of the situation? I just want to ensure our wishes are respected as much as possible.

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#2 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You know, it might be good to get a random variety of diapers.  Naturally based or not.  Each diaper fits a baby differently and it might be good to know what works best on your baby.  If they don't get used (totally possible) you can give them away easily enough.  My friends and I have passed around many different brands of diapers that didn't fit our own babies well.  What worked on my DD might massively leak on another baby.

I personally think that the Nature Babycare diapers are good (they're bio-degradable), but several of my friends hate them!  It's all about experimenting.  Good luck!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#3 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 AM

I'm probably going to be a debbie-downer, but perhaps other posters will have some different (better?) experiences to add.  

I was like you in that I thought people would respect the registry- or at least look at it, notice all the organic and natural stuff, and buy off-registry items accordingly. 

I was dead wrong.

In speaking with other people (young mamas as well as older ladies (the ones who have been gift-buying for years) it seems that people want to get something for the baby that is cute and fun.  Registry items are generally more practical, and people don't want to be the ones to buy you your nipple shields, if you know what I mean.  

We were OVERWHELMED with clothing (we didn't need any since we'd thrift-shopped and swapped with friends) and BLANKETS.  Oh my gosh, people love to buy blankets.  Big, fluffy blankets- not the useful ones like receiving blankets and swaddling blankets. Oh, and stuffed animals.  (seriously, the reasoning behind that one still evades me). 

Our strategy was to return as much as possible!  We made returns at Target and BRU and got lots of store credit that we used towards more practical purchases.  Do this ASAP after your shower.  Other things that we couldn't return went into a regift pile or a goodwill pile.  Just be sure to think about who you are regifting to- hopefully they weren't at your shower :)

Now, I don't think that people will get you disposable diapers- we only got disposables (7th generation) at our shower because it was a welcoming shower and a note was sent out that we'd love chlorine-free disposables for baby.  Still, only a few party attendants brought the disposables, even with a note.  (I have been to showers where people gift Dreft.  Ugh.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the disposables, seriously.  I wouldn't mention it to your mom or MIL.  There may be ONE person who might bring disposies, but I doubt it.  Even then you can just give them to a WIC office or something like that.  

As you're thinking about disposables and cloth (especially during that too-small-for-most-CD first few months) I'd recommend looking into a newborn rental package.  Both Modernclothdiapers.com and nellsnaturalbaby.com have newborn rentals.  It's approximately $100-150 (depending on which brand you choose, and nells has a gently used program that is cheaper) for 3 months use of CDs that are newborn sized.  There is a deposit required- around 100- but that will easily be returned to you if you don't ruin the diapers (i.e. use ointments that are not for CD use).  I am getting the Nellsnaturalbaby package.  It is a HUGE savings from buying disposies, since you go through SO many disposables those first few months.  Literally, we'd have to get around 2-3 packages of dipes a week.  So expensive!  

I did a ton of research when deciding what types of diapers to use, and wanted to point out that diapers that claim to be biodegradable truly are not. (greenwashing at it's finest, sigh.)  There are not conditions available (ie aerboic activity and enough heat to break them down) to truly biodegrade them.  You're not supposed to compost them either, so really the only difference between an eco-friendly disposable and a regular disposable is the chemicals and compounds present in the diaper.  We used 7th gen for the first month (and for some travel since then), so it's not like I'm saying "don't use disposables at all", just that the biodegradable claim is a false one.  I definitely think eco-friendly diapers are worth it over conventional disposables, but we chose cloth in the end (which it sounds like you are doing too.)

Here are two articles that touch on the biodegradability issue:

http://blog.bolandbol.com/product-reviews/green-diapers-review/

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2004/04/63182

#4 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 AM

If you get diapers you don't want or won't use, take them to the local food bank. They give formula and diapers to needy parents.

#5 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

If you get diapers you don't want or won't use, take them to the local food bank. They give formula and diapers to needy parents.

I think this is a great idea! Don't stress out about this. It's just not worth it in the grand scheme of things. We used cloth for the first two years of my ds's life and then switched to Eco-friendly disposables. Once when we were at a friend's house I was out of diapers and borrowed one, it was a main stream brand disposable and was the grossest thing have ever seen! It had the weird gel and was scented like yucky baby powder. .... So I don't blame you for not wanting these things around your baby. But like I said, don't stress, just donate them. Don't worry what your mom or ml will say, they won't be around you and your baby all the time anyway and they will have to get used to you making your own choices about your children sometime or another. Baby showers are supposed to be fun!

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
#6 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 PM

She's right..  Oh my, the baby blankets! Never, never, ever buy one for yourself!  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

I'm probably going to be a debbie-downer, but perhaps other posters will have some different (better?) experiences to add.  

I was like you in that I thought people would respect the registry- or at least look at it, notice all the organic and natural stuff, and buy off-registry items accordingly. 

I was dead wrong.

In speaking with other people (young mamas as well as older ladies (the ones who have been gift-buying for years) it seems that people want to get something for the baby that is cute and fun.  Registry items are generally more practical, and people don't want to be the ones to buy you your nipple shields, if you know what I mean.  

We were OVERWHELMED with clothing (we didn't need any since we'd thrift-shopped and swapped with friends) and BLANKETS.  Oh my gosh, people love to buy blankets.  Big, fluffy blankets- not the useful ones like receiving blankets and swaddling blankets. Oh, and stuffed animals.  (seriously, the reasoning behind that one still evades me). 

Our strategy was to return as much as possible!  We made returns at Target and BRU and got lots of store credit that we used towards more practical purchases.  Do this ASAP after your shower.  Other things that we couldn't return went into a regift pile or a goodwill pile.  Just be sure to think about who you are regifting to- hopefully they weren't at your shower :)

Now, I don't think that people will get you disposable diapers- we only got disposables (7th generation) at our shower because it was a welcoming shower and a note was sent out that we'd love chlorine-free disposables for baby.  Still, only a few party attendants brought the disposables, even with a note.  (I have been to showers where people gift Dreft.  Ugh.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the disposables, seriously.  I wouldn't mention it to your mom or MIL.  There may be ONE person who might bring disposies, but I doubt it.  Even then you can just give them to a WIC office or something like that.  

As you're thinking about disposables and cloth (especially during that too-small-for-most-CD first few months) I'd recommend looking into a newborn rental package.  Both Modernclothdiapers.com and nellsnaturalbaby.com have newborn rentals.  It's approximately $100-150 (depending on which brand you choose, and nells has a gently used program that is cheaper) for 3 months use of CDs that are newborn sized.  There is a deposit required- around 100- but that will easily be returned to you if you don't ruin the diapers (i.e. use ointments that are not for CD use).  I am getting the Nellsnaturalbaby package.  It is a HUGE savings from buying disposies, since you go through SO many disposables those first few months.  Literally, we'd have to get around 2-3 packages of dipes a week.  So expensive!  

I did a ton of research when deciding what types of diapers to use, and wanted to point out that diapers that claim to be biodegradable truly are not. (greenwashing at it's finest, sigh.)  There are not conditions available (ie aerboic activity and enough heat to break them down) to truly biodegrade them.  You're not supposed to compost them either, so really the only difference between an eco-friendly disposable and a regular disposable is the chemicals and compounds present in the diaper.  We used 7th gen for the first month (and for some travel since then), so it's not like I'm saying "don't use disposables at all", just that the biodegradable claim is a false one.  I definitely think eco-friendly diapers are worth it over conventional disposables, but we chose cloth in the end (which it sounds like you are doing too.)

Here are two articles that touch on the biodegradability issue:

http://blog.bolandbol.com/product-reviews/green-diapers-review/

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2004/04/63182

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#7 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM

I couldn't believe how almost nobody bought things off of our registry. We had a big shower, and were completely overwhelmed with dolls, clothes, and blankets like pp. We got a lot of diapers, and had to take the majority back because DD was sensitive to all but one type. DH's family even asked what diapers she was wearing months later, said they would buy us some (why? I don't know), and bought something completely different. She could only wear the one type, so we were stuck trying to find a place that would exchange the diapers. It was tough because they live hours away and the stores carry different size boxes. More than once, they bought the diapers meant for boys, where they absorb up front and are blue with sports themes. shrug.gif They won't be invited this time, but because they make it very difficult to be around them.

If you want a certain type of diaper, you could ask the host to have a raffle or game. Everyone that brings a box of Pampers, or say, a diaper cover, gets a ticket for a raffle. At my work shower, they raffled off a "baby making basket" filled with candles, champagne, chocolates, etc.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Totally right on.  Sometimes you just have to go with the flow- I know it's SO HARD to feel like people are wasting money on conventional stuff, and it is super stressful, but you'll realize you can't do anything about it and you'll figure out how to deal with it.  As for parents, they'll see that baby is fine and that you are making your own way as a parent.  They'll either learn to respect it or they'll realize that it hurts your relationship with them.... So don't worry :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulboy View Post

I think this is a great idea! Don't stress out about this. It's just not worth it in the grand scheme of things. We used cloth for the first two years of my ds's life and then switched to Eco-friendly disposables. Once when we were at a friend's house I was out of diapers and borrowed one, it was a main stream brand disposable and was the grossest thing have ever seen! It had the weird gel and was scented like yucky baby powder. .... So I don't blame you for not wanting these things around your baby. But like I said, don't stress, just donate them. Don't worry what your mom or ml will say, they won't be around you and your baby all the time anyway and they will have to get used to you making your own choices about your children sometime or another. Baby showers are supposed to be fun!

#9 of 41 Old 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

OP, I had the same concerns with my first baby and baby shower.  I registered for eco friendly disposables then (but later I began using CDs), but no one hardly even looked at my registry!  I got Huggies and Pampers.  The smell (chemical-ish smell, and the Pampers were scented) bothered me so much that I had to take them back to the store.  Fortunatly Walmart in my town lets you return something without a reciept. 

I am super controlling of situations and I am always having issues with deciding if saying something/intervening would be too much.  I usually end up saying something.  If you are able to return things without reciepts then I probably wouldnt say anything.  If not, then sure, call up your mom and MIL and just tell them what your plans are.  O well if they are critical, it is your baby and you are just doing your job of protecting him/her and doing what is BEST for your child.  Obviously they do not have the same knowledge as you do.  I do think that people should respect another persons decision, and if they were planning on getting Huggies, and dont care to buy the other ones that you want, they can just buy something else.....

#10 of 41 Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I know it's really frustrating to have friends and family have their hearts in the right place and spend their hard earned money on stuff you don't need or don't want.  But it's going to happen, so you make the most of it with returns/exchanges and donating as pp's have said.  We donated disposables to our local birth center, planned parenthood, battered women's shelters, and a refugee organization. 

And I know how strongly you feel about cloth diapering... I also know that every tells you to have some disposables on hand "just in case."  Well, the only occasion I can think of where you might need to have some "just in case" diapers on hand is if you run out of cloth while you have a load in the wash.  It's pretty easy to prevent that from happening, though, and in a pinch you can always use a receiving blanket folded up inside a cover.  Otherwise, there really is no need for disposables until you are traveling and simply cannot wash your diapers for over a week.  Disposables are really not easier to use and don't work better than cloth so don't feel like you might need them in case cloth is too hard.  If you are dealing with an issue that is preventing you from being able to wash your diapers (or where washing your diapers should not be a priority) and have no one around to help you, that's a different matter.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#11 of 41 Old 09-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Jaimee is right!  We could have totally done without disposables during travel- except when we know there is no washer/dryer.  On our cross-country move (6 days) we washed diapers in the hotel laundry rooms (twice).  It wasn't so bad.  (some people might be grossed out by the thought of using a public washer for diapers, but they rinse clean and I've never had poo bits on my clothing :))  So it can totally be done.  After having bought everything we need to CD our son for less than $500 I still get sticker shock when I see disposable diaper prices.  Whoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I know it's really frustrating to have friends and family have their hearts in the right place and spend their hard earned money on stuff you don't need or don't want.  But it's going to happen, so you make the most of it with returns/exchanges and donating as pp's have said.  We donated disposables to our local birth center, planned parenthood, battered women's shelters, and a refugee organization. 

And I know how strongly you feel about cloth diapering... I also know that every tells you to have some disposables on hand "just in case."  Well, the only occasion I can think of where you might need to have some "just in case" diapers on hand is if you run out of cloth while you have a load in the wash.  It's pretty easy to prevent that from happening, though, and in a pinch you can always use a receiving blanket folded up inside a cover.  Otherwise, there really is no need for disposables until you are traveling and simply cannot wash your diapers for over a week.  Disposables are really not easier to use and don't work better than cloth so don't feel like you might need them in case cloth is too hard.  If you are dealing with an issue that is preventing you from being able to wash your diapers (or where washing your diapers should not be a priority) and have no one around to help you, that's a different matter.

#12 of 41 Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks! I hadn't even thought about donating diapers. That would be a great thing to do. I'd love to help other people out in that way! I think I was really worried about not even being able to exchange them and having no place for them to go since I don't know anyone else with babies at this time except for a friend who is using organic and wouldn't use them anyway. I feel a lot calmer about things and for sure will consider donating if need be!

I'm glad I didn't mention anything to my MIL about our position on diapers, eeeesh. We were at dinner with DH's parents tonight and I realized we hadn't even told them that we're having a home birth. His dad was all like, "Oh yeah? That's cool." Just really relaxed about it. But my MIL acted really awkward and was saying things like, "Wow, I'm kind of shocked," and was making things a tad uncomfortable. She wanted to know how we came to that decision, why I didn't want painkillers, the usual... But then even after I briefly explained our position on things, she was still making a big deal out of it for a few minutes longer shaking her head and looking confused and in shock. I was so surprised that she'd be like that! She didn't strike me as the type. I forget that midwifery and home births are so foreign to a lot of people still these days, though, because DH and I have talked openly about it to so many people for so long now. Oops! lol

So oddly enough, my mom doesn't seem concerned about the cloth diaper thing anymore. Unless she's just realizing it's a losing battle.... haha. She told me not to worry, she didn't think people in our family would get me diapers after all, maybe just friends or DH's family - who knows. And I'm just going to keep our diapering position out of discussions with DH's family unless it has to be brought up at the shower for some reason. I know I'll have to let his parents know about our diapering preferences after the baby is born if they ever watch her and need to diaper her, but for now ---- not discussing it! If my MIL was that shocked about a home birth, I'm pretty sure she'll go ape**** over cloth diapering, LOL.

Jaimee - You're building my confidence here with the cloth diapering. biggrinbounce.gif I need to keep reminding myself that if people can make it work around the clock no matter where they are, then I can too! I'm getting too addicted to browsing CD's..... I wish the baby was already here so I can start trying them out on her! I never thought I'd find diapering to be so fun. LOL innocent.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#13 of 41 Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 PM

People are definitely coming around to cloth diapering again. We spent a FORTUNE on disposables for DD because she was sensitive, only could use the expensive diapers, and wanted to be changed immediately after wetting. I'd have done cloth if we had more than a crummy stacked washer at the time.

My mom teaches Red Cross Babysitting Certification, and she teaches all of the teenagers about the different types of cloth diapers and how they are used. My dad scoffed a little at the smell that was associated with soaking diapers. That is, until I told him how much we spent on diapers for DD, and also the advancements in cloth diapers. There are a lot more choices than the plastic pants and kind of crummy Gerber prefolds that they had when we were babies.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#14 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 07:08 AM

We got every diaper we DID NOT register for. We were very specific on which we were willing to use. If you have a standard, don't compromise! I returned them all to walmart. I got a gift card back and we bought groceries with it and exchanged the money we spend on groceries to buy the diapers or other things we needed elsewhere. No biggie! It's important that when you come to a decision,  you are not forced to comply because others can't respect your decisions! With a diaper, being in constant contact with a highly important area of your baby, and the conclusion you have come to about the diapers, I would say to make mention that you would prefer a certain type of diaper and why, maybe even print out some research (my DH and I have had to create a binder with all of the research supporting our decisions so we have a reference guide for questioning family members!) and then if they still go the other way, there is always the return department! I made those returns LONG before baby came....like the day after my shower! Good luck!

#15 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Are you actually able to return packs of diapers to Walmart without a receipt and without having known where the purchaser even got them at? I've never returned anything anywhere without a receipt before so I didn't know if some companies will actually allow that, especially if the items might not have been purchased there.

#16 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Yes, you can exchange them for store credit so long as it's a brand they carry. 

I agree with the others, just be prepared to return things..  Many people might bring you a gift receipt as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhappy85 View Post

Are you actually able to return packs of diapers to Walmart without a receipt and without having known where the purchaser even got them at? I've never returned anything anywhere without a receipt before so I didn't know if some companies will actually allow that, especially if the items might not have been purchased there.

#17 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
 If my MIL was that shocked about a home birth, I'm pretty sure she'll go ape**** over cloth diapering, LOL.

Jaimee - You're building my confidence here with the cloth diapering. biggrinbounce.gif I need to keep reminding myself that if people can make it work around the clock no matter where they are, then I can too! I'm getting too addicted to browsing CD's..... I wish the baby was already here so I can start trying them out on her! I never thought I'd find diapering to be so fun. LOL innocent.gif

A lot of times it is only b/c people are picturing the old school prefolds and pins with plastic pants and garbage cans full of bleach water to soak the dirties.  Many do not realize that cloth diapering has come so far and what all the options are now.  I would suggest showing anyone that will be regularly taking care of baby how to use the diapers and having easier to use types (like AIO's or at least pockets) on hand for them.  I might show them before baby comes so that you can just ask them to change baby without having to go through a tutorial when the baby is just born.  This is true of cloth wipes as well... show them how to put wipe solution on the wipe and that the wipe goes in the pail with the diaper, etc.  You'd be surprised... my dad had to change ds the other day when he was here and we were out of the house.  He didn't realize how to use the wipes so ended up using toilet paper.  lol.gif

I'm glad your confidence is growing!  It will all work out just fine.  And yes, CDing is fun... and addicting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post
 My dad scoffed a little at the smell that was associated with soaking diapers.

There is no need to soak... unless you want to soak your prefolds for some reason.  Premium diapers actually should not be soaked as it leads to more smell issues.  The dry method works just fine for all types of diapers and is much, much easier!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#18 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM

HAHA!  He didn't know how to use the wipe.... That cracks me up!  

I don't soak mine either- I use pocket diapers.  

Quote:

A lot of times it is only b/c people are picturing the old school prefolds and pins with plastic pants and garbage cans full of bleach water to soak the dirties.  Many do not realize that cloth diapering has come so far and what all the options are now.  I would suggest showing anyone that will be regularly taking care of baby how to use the diapers and having easier to use types (like AIO's or at least pockets) on hand for them.  I might show them before baby comes so that you can just ask them to change baby without having to go through a tutorial when the baby is just born.  This is true of cloth wipes as well... show them how to put wipe solution on the wipe and that the wipe goes in the pail with the diaper, etc.  You'd be surprised... my dad had to change ds the other day when he was here and we were out of the house.  He didn't realize how to use the wipes so ended up using toilet paper.  lol.gif

I'm glad your confidence is growing!  It will all work out just fine.  And yes, CDing is fun... and addicting.

There is no need to soak... unless you want to soak your prefolds for some reason.  Premium diapers actually should not be soaked as it leads to more smell issues.  The dry method works just fine for all types of diapers and is much, much easier!

#19 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Funny... when I told my husband I want to use cloth wipes, he asked me, "Why can't we just use toilet paper?" LOL

I've started just telling him, "This is how we're going to do things," and leaving it at that because he seems to always come up with alternative ideas of how things could work and it drives me nuts. I won't even get into our argument over my suggestion of using a diaper sprayer and his suggestion that we could just rinse out the diapers in the sink......... I was not having any of it. Sheepish.gif

#20 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM

LOL!  

We also don't have a diaper sprayer, and in talking with a friend who does have one it doesn't seem to be truly necessary.  BF poop goes straight in the washer, and once it's more solid it just plunks right out.  For the messier ones that are a little less solid we just roll the diaper up and put it in a pail for a couple of hours, and then we try again.  This is going to sound so gross but the diaper absorbs more of the moisture and it usually plunks out just like the solid ones.  If there is any residue in there it just washes away.  

Quote:

Funny... when I told my husband I want to use cloth wipes, he asked me, "Why can't we just use toilet paper?" LOL

I've started just telling him, "This is how we're going to do things," and leaving it at that because he seems to always come up with alternative ideas of how things could work and it drives me nuts. I won't even get into our argument over my suggestion of using a diaper sprayer and his suggestion that we could just rinse out the diapers in the sink......... I was not having any of it. Sheepish.gif

#21 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I won't even get into our argument over my suggestion of using a diaper sprayer and his suggestion that we could just rinse out the diapers in the sink......... I was not having any of it. Sheepish.gif

There is no need to rinse either.  If you're dealing with meconium (which stains) or later on when feeding solids and are dealing with mushy poop that does not easily roll off the diaper, that's when  flushable liners come in handy.  The diaper sprayer is really just handy for cleaning more poop off the diaper if you really can't stand the smell of your diaper pail or again, later, if the poop needs some help getting off the diapers.  But even then, I've heard some people say that the water that ends up spraying off the diapers gets on the toilet, the walls, possibly you, etc. and wasn't worth it.  Though that could be some user error...  If we're in a squishy poop phase and I didn't get a liner in a diaper, I end up using some toilet paper to pick the poop off.  I didn't have that problem with dd, but I have had that problem several times with ds.  Now we're potty training, so no more of that!!

#22 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Yep!  It's rare that it is ever so messy anyway... But diaper liners are great (I always forget them, silly me!)  We have the Imse Vimse brand.  

To me, a diaper sprayer is just another thing to get, and I like CDing to be as SIMPLE as possible.  

Quote:

There is no need to rinse either.  If you're dealing with meconium (which stains) or later on when feeding solids and are dealing with mushy poop that does not easily roll off the diaper, that's when  flushable liners come in handy.  The diaper sprayer is really just handy for cleaning more poop off the diaper if you really can't stand the smell of your diaper pail or again, later, if the poop needs some help getting off the diapers.  But even then, I've heard some people say that the water that ends up spraying off the diapers gets on the toilet, the walls, possibly you, etc. and wasn't worth it.  Though that could be some user error...  If we're in a squishy poop phase and I didn't get a liner in a diaper, I end up using some toilet paper to pick the poop off.  I didn't have that problem with dd, but I have had that problem several times with ds.  Now we're potty training, so no more of that!!

#23 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Great stuff to know! I was hoping a diaper sprayer wouldn't really be necessary anyway since I doubt hubby would want to use it and I'm like jbk21 -- I like things as simple as possible. When I had first found out that EBF poop can just go into the washer with the diapers, I almost did a happy dance. LOL.

I'll take any suggestions on diaper liners! I looked up the Imse Vimse brand jbk21 mentioned and they look great! I like the idea of using those from time to time. My only concern is that I don't know if I'd feel comfortable flushing them... We don't have very high-powered toilets and our plumbing is pretty old; I don't know much about whether or not it'd be a good idea. Is it a total no-no to just toss them in the trash after dumping solids out of them?

#24 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM

There are several fine brands of diaper liners including Bummis Biosoft liners (softer, degrade quicker, useable in sewer or septic), Imse Vimse (much thicker, but lay in the diaper better and can survive a few wash cycles if just peed on), Kushies (not recommended for septic tanks, I believe they can be washed a few times, too), GroVia (these are new, so I'm not sure about them yet, but they seem quite large for nb's), Bumkins (not recommended for septic), Real Nappies (I haven't used these personally), CuteyBaby (haven't used them, but they seem good and cheaper than other brands).

If you have finicky plumbing you may have trouble flushing them.  You'll have to experiment.  You might be able to shake the poop off the liner easier than the diaper and then rip the liner in half for better flushing.  Of course you can toss it, but the idea is to get all the poop where it is supposed to go: in the sewer system where it can be treated.  Pee liners can be composted.  I would suggest trying out Bummis first and see if those flush fine as they are the thinnest liners out there.  If you go with a thicker liner like Imse Vimse or Kushies, I would suggest washing the pee ones and reusing a few times before flushing as this will start to break them up a bit.  The poop ones may need to be tossed.

#25 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM

I would think even with older plumbing that if you are only flushing the liner/poo (not other TP or anything along with it) that it shouldn't give you any problems.  It will start to break down just like TP once it's in the sewage system.  However, I'm no plumber so I wouldn't make any guarantees.  Like Jaimee said, though, the idea is to keep the poo out of the garbage (did you know it's illegal to put poopy diapers- of any kind- in the trash?  EVERYONE is supposed to be putting the poop in the toilet where it belongs- but very few people know that!  Fun fact, lol)

I'd definitely test it out- and have a plunger handy- just in case :)

#26 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM

Unfortunately there is no federal law against throwing away human excrement in the US (though I've heard tell that there are a few cities that have laws against it), but it does violate health guidelines set forth by the WHO and CDC.  And last I checked there is a federal law that says DAY CARES are supposed to flush the poop, but no one follows it and it's not enforced.  Disposable diapers used to print right on their packaging that the poop was supposed to be flushed, but the don't any longer.  I contacted several companies (including Seventh Gen) and asked them why and all responded it was b/c they have limited room on their packaging and since it is just a guideline, they don't feel obligated to print it.  I also contacted a few cities and asked about human feces in landfills.  All responded that since landfills are properly lined, it should not be a problem.  The thing is, we know that it has been a problem in the past and I personally think that WHO guidelines are quite solid when it comes to things like this.  Human excrement is full of viruses, especially the excrement of vaccinated infants, and these viruses can leach out of old landfills and into our water systems.  So, whether you're using cloth or sposies, flush that poop mamas!

At any rate, I have had issues with even BioSoft liners in my older plumbing back in Maryland.  So there is a chance that you'll have issues, too, if your plumbing is similar.  Like J said, have a plunger near by!

#27 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

This is going to sound kind of rotten but because many people don't shop off the reigstry was part of the reason we did not want to tell anyone the gender (and then we wound up not even finding out ourselves but originally we just weren't going to tell). I know people's hearts are in the right place but I've been to so many showers where the mom registers and say she knows she is having a little girl and instead of getting all the practical stuff on the registry she gets 30 pink dresses in size NB or 0-3 months and the baby can never possibly wear them all before outgrowing them all. I guess I get upset because I always buy off the registry if I know there's a registry but others don't seem to. For my wedding shower I even got kind of screwed over because I got several duplicates without receipts and when I tried to return them (in this case, to Target) they would only give me the lowest sale price they'd been in the past 90 days or whatever. So the person could have paid full price for the item, I had no use for it, but then I could only get store credit at what the lowest sale price was. :( So when I give gifts I always shop off the registry and always give gift receipts because sometimes the registry doesn't take the items off correctly or because maybe some other guest bought the same item I did but forgot to have the registry scanned and forgot to provide a gift receipt, I just like to make it easier for the guest of honor since I went through it three years ago at my wedding. Anyway, if people don't know the gender I think they'll be less likely to buy clothes. There are very few neutral clothes out there! I should know as I've been looking. :) I'm thinking about buying a couple outfits for boys and a couple outfits for girls and saving the receipts just so I have something to put my baby in when he/she is born besides onesies and PJs. :)

Stuffed animals...aaarrrrggghhh! Those are one of those clutter things I hate to even bring into my house. Growing up as the oldest of 7, I saw how those things seem to accumulate. I really hope we don't get too many of those. I hope that doesn't sound too ungrateful!

Anyway, about diapers, I've been to quite a few baby showers this year and the moms were planning on using disposables so that would have been a welcome gift but I don't believe they even got any...so I would hope you'd be OK. You received quite a few good suggestions on what to do though if you do receive them.

I know some people have told me they don't shop off registries because they think BRU is too expensive (and that's where the bulk of registries seem to be) and they like to just go to Walmart or Target and get the item cheaper. So I thought I was doing a good thing registering at Amazon and Target and a friend of ours told me I "complicated" things by not just doing one at BRU. I swear the prices at BRU are like 20% higher on some of the items though! I'm trying to make it EASIER for people to shop my registry, not more complicated. :( But then again she is the same person who told me I shouldn't have bought used crib bedding ahead of time. Look, I know the people coming to my shower are not made of money and I don't expect them to finance my kid's wardrobe and bedroom furnishings. If I found a good deal ahead of time on used stuff, what's it hurting? She had a shower full of her MIL's rich friends at a fancy restaurant and they spared no expense. My guests are not rich and that is fine, I don't need them to be, I just want them there to celebrate with me and they can give what they want. (I just really didn't want 30 pink dresses...ha ha!) Sorry for the rant...I went off a bit there!

Me stillheart.gif DH (est. 10/08), DS (11/19/11) blogging.jpg nocirc.gif  reading.gif ribbonteal.gif (PCOS)

#28 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Totally, I know there are a few places where it truly is a law on the books but mostly it is technically illegal.  Whatever that means :)  It is kind of gross though. I mean, you wouldn't want someone pooping in the trash can, right? :-)

Quote:

Unfortunately there is no federal law against throwing away human excrement in the US (though I've heard tell that there are a few cities that have laws against it), but it does violate health guidelines set forth by the WHO and CDC.  And last I checked there is a federal law that says DAY CARES are supposed to flush the poop, but no one follows it and it's not enforced.  Disposable diapers used to print right on their packaging that the poop was supposed to be flushed, but the don't any longer.  I contacted several companies (including Seventh Gen) and asked them why and all responded it was b/c they have limited room on their packaging and since it is just a guideline, they don't feel obligated to print it.  I also contacted a few cities and asked about human feces in landfills.  All responded that since landfills are properly lined, it should not be a problem.  The thing is, we know that it has been a problem in the past and I personally think that WHO guidelines are quite solid when it comes to things like this.  Human excrement is full of viruses, especially the excrement of vaccinated infants, and these viruses can leach out of old landfills and into our water systems.  So, whether you're using cloth or sposies, flush that poop mamas!

At any rate, I have had issues with even BioSoft liners in my older plumbing back in Maryland.  So there is a chance that you'll have issues, too, if your plumbing is similar.  Like J said, have a plunger near by!

#29 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011mama View Post

This is going to sound kind of rotten but because many people don't shop off the registry was part of the reason we did not want to tell anyone the gender (and then we wound up not even finding out ourselves but originally we just weren't going to tell). I know people's hearts are in the right place but I've been to so many showers where the mom registers and say she knows she is having a little girl and instead of getting all the practical stuff on the registry she gets 30 pink dresses in size NB or 0-3 months and the baby can never possibly wear them all before outgrowing them all.

I know some people have told me they don't shop off registries because they think BRU is too expensive (and that's where the bulk of registries seem to be) and they like to just go to Walmart or Target and get the item cheaper. So I thought I was doing a good thing registering at Amazon and Target and a friend of ours told me I "complicated" things by not just doing one at BRU.

As to the first comment about telling the gender, I totally agree with your strategy! I wish I had realized that before we spread the news "it's a girl!" before a baby shower. I got 2 years worth of second-hand baby girl clothes, super cute, for only $120 from a rummage sale and I'm pretty much set. When I told my grandma and sister about how excited I was to have gotten such a deal, they completely disregarded how great it was and jumped right into saying to me kind of rudely, "Well then what if people want to get her some clothes?!" and I was completely caught off guard!!! I was like, "Um... I didn't know that was an issue. We didn't register for a bunch of clothes. If we get a few things that's fine, we can use them. I'd hope people would get us practical gifts. What's the big deal?" It was so insulting. I was down in the dumps from them bringing down my excitement and basically telling me that nobody will go off of my registry and I'll probably get a bunch of clothes. They actually acted like I was the rude one for being ungrateful at the idea of getting clothes!!! As if I was selfish for getting a deal since we don't have much money to spend on the necessities! GAH!!!

And in regards to registering... I registered at BRU, Target, and BuyBuyBaby. Nobody even knows what BuyBuyBaby is, so it was kind of just more for our benefit since it's nearby and we can use Bed Bath and Beyond coupons there. But a lot of the stuff we registered for is only available to purchase online, and THAT got me worried. I don't think people will even shop online. In my experience if people are going to go off of a registry, they go shopping literally days before the event. They don't typically plan ahead and shop your registry online. So I basically have a double whammy here.

Here's to *hoping praying and wishing* that MOST people at least give us practical gifts and not crap that they just got excited over for being girlie and want to watch us open! I'm not that good at feigning excitement over a gift I don't like. LOL. It's not that I'm ungrateful, it's that I just suck at reacting in the moment. I'll have to mentally prepare myself before I go into this.

Is it so wrong of me to be disappointed at the idea that people will go so unpractical with gift-giving, though? My hang-up with all of this is that I take it personally when friends and family basically show me that they don't "know me" or just take what I view as the "selfish route" by getting me something THEY'D like even though they know I'm not that kind of person at all... That kind of stuff is insulting to me, but apparently that makes me "ungrateful" I guess. My husband and I are such simple people and everyone knows that. They also know how into natural stuff I am. It makes me feel like they're trying to change me or disapprove of my lifestyle when they get me something that I CLEARLY wouldn't use. I guess I just can't wrap my head around that mentality. I'm like 2011mama in the way that I always go off of a registry when people have one. Those are things they explicitly WANT and/or NEED! Especially for a new mom, I would never just buy her something not on her registry unless I knew for sure that she would love it and use it. But I would never assume.

#30 of 41 Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Is it so wrong of me to be disappointed at the idea that people will go so unpractical with gift-giving, though? My hang-up with all of this is that I take it personally when friends and family basically show me that they don't "know me" or just take what I view as the "selfish route" by getting me something THEY'D like even though they know I'm not that kind of person at all... That kind of stuff is insulting to me, but apparently that makes me "ungrateful" I guess. My husband and I are such simple people and everyone knows that. They also know how into natural stuff I am. It makes me feel like they're trying to change me or disapprove of my lifestyle when they get me something that I CLEARLY wouldn't use. I guess I just can't wrap my head around that mentality. I'm like 2011mama in the way that I always go off of a registry when people have one. Those are things they explicitly WANT and/or NEED! Especially for a new mom, I would never just buy her something not on her registry unless I knew for sure that she would love it and use it. But I would never assume.

This is totally how I feel, too.  My MIL is big into not buying off of lists for holidays, birthdays, and registries.  She thinks that buying something that she finds that she thinks we'll like is more personal than just getting something off a list.  I think that she'd be right IF she found things we actually did want and need.  But usually it's not!  So when people get us things we really need off our lists, I get really excited and I'm so grateful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page