Compulsive eating?!? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure what else to call it.  For the past few days, I will eat a huge meal, and then I'll still be ravenous.  I will feel physically full but have this really, really strong urge to just keep eating.  I've been following the urges, but I'm starting to worry about how healthy it is to keep eating when I'm already full.

I've wondered if it has to do with lacking specific nutrients, but I'm eating really well, and I'm pretty sure I'm covering all my bases and then some.  I also take prenatal vitamins and drink an herbal pregnancy infusion (from Aviva Jill Romm's book).

For example,

Dinner tonight:

1 cup of quinoa, 1/2 a can of beans (kidney, black, and pinto mixed), 1/2 a head of kale, 1 tomato, lemon juice, olive oil, salt pepper, mixed into a salad (this meal is a staple of mine...I can't get enough of it!).

2 large pieces of whole wheat sourdough bread with earth balance.

A bowl of granola with almond milk and blueberries.

I still really, really wanted to eat at this point, so I had a huge mug of almond and soy milk mixed (like 24 oz) with 2 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses.  This seemed to quell the hunger, but now it's 2 hours later and I want to eat again.

And it's not like I starved myself all day.  I had pretty a substantial breakfast and lunch and I had snacks too.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it just the baby going through a growth spurt (I'm 28 weeks) or something else?  Any ideas?

#2 of 4 Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've had points in pregnancy where I've felt like that..  Are you a vegan?  You might try to increase your protein a bit and see if that helps? 

My general rule of thumb is, if you're eating healthy and still hungry, then you probably just need to eat more.  I personally do not have a weight or eating issue, so if I'm hungry, I eat!  I do tend to gain more than the "standard" amount, but I've always lost it quickly pp with breastfeeding.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#3 of 4 Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

I eat free-range eggs, but I don't eat meat and I can't tolerate dairy.  But I haven't had eggs in the last week...I think I'll make it a point to eat some tomorrow.  I used to hate eggs, then went through a period earlier in this pregnancy where I was craving them and eating them a lot.  That's fading now, though, and I've kind of been avoiding them lately.

I've been making it a point to eat more protein when I go on these ravenous binges.  The quinoa and beans was super high in protein, as was the granola.  I also ate a bunch of peanut butter earlier today and a handful of brazil nuts.

Thanks for your reassurance. :)  I think I will just go with it for now.  I have a midwife appointment a week from Monday, so if it lasts, I will talk to her. 

#4 of 4 Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM

-

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page