Eco-friendlier disposable for meconium diapers? Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if anyone knows of an eco-friendly, or friendlier disposable diaper that will work in the very early days. So, something very small, with a cut out for the umbilicus.

I plan to cloth diaper as soon as we get our first breast milk poop, but I don't want to risk ruining the cloth diapers with meconium, and I don't see myself looking up tricks to get it out of cloth so early post partum.

With my son I bought a package of 7th Generation newborn diapers for meconium and was shocked when they were super big and had no umbilical cut out. My midwife said I should buy a pack of Pampers Swaddlers - that they were the best for tiny babies. I did this, in 2008, but am hoping there's something else out there now. Any ideas?

Gluten and dairy allergic mama to DS1 luxlove.gif (08/08) homebirth.jpg, DS2 babyboy.gif (11/11) homebirth.jpgand unintentional uc.jpg , wife to DHwild.gif, and grad school student.   lactivist.gif  fly-by-nursing2.gif novaxnocirc.gif

#2 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Huggies Pure and Natural size newborn are the only ones I actually have experience with.  They are the right size for a NB, have the cut out, and are supposed to have some organic cotton in them, but they are basically the same as a regular huggies.  I did notice that they dont have much of a chemical smell, whereas the normal Huggies reek of chemicals.  So, that is what I bought last time.   This time I am getting the Tushies diapers and making a cut myself for the cord.  They are the only disposables that I know of without SAP.  There are also GroVia diapers that contain less SAP, but not sure about their sizing or the umbilical cord cutout.

#3 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I appreciate your concern for your diapers, but there is an easy solution: flushable liners.  They are about $7 for 100.  Just line each diaper when you're changing, peel and flush when there is poop.  No staining.  I would really recommend this route instead of sposies, plus liners are great to have on hand if you ever have to deal with diaper rash cream or later when baby is going through pasty poop phases while eating solids.  But if you really want sposies, the most eco-friendly diaper out there is Tushies (available on diapers.com).  They are truly polyacrylate gel free, chlorine free, and do not contain tributyl tin in their outer coating.  Seventh Gen contains the gel and even NatureBabyCare Eco diapers contain some gel.  Alternatively you could go with a hybrid system if you have some covers on hand.  You could purchase the g-diaper flushable, Flip system disposable insert, or GroVia bio-soakers to line covers with.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 PM

I had never even given this a thought...but its some great info!  I will have to look into some liners.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#5 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM

I used fleece liners with dd2. I'm not sure if that is "bad", though... I'm not the most eco-conscious person. I plan on using them again. I'm just going to get some fleece and cut it to size. Nothing sticks to/ stains fleece. 

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#6 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Dont the g-diaper flushable things contain SAP?  I think they do, and I have heard that they shouldnt be flushed.  I use these liners and I like them a lot.  But the "water" of the poop does go through the liner, because they are made to allow pee to go through.  http://www.amazon.com/GroVia-2559-BioLiners-Diaper-Liners/dp/B00483GAJU/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3A1FA1SSMR3QK&colid=DVSTHTG8WCPZ 

#7 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Yes, the disposable versions of g-Diapers, GroVia, and Flip all contain SAP (aka polyacrylate gel).  This is not an environmentally UN-friendly substance, in fact it can be composted.  BUT, it is so absorbent that it can leach moisture from baby's skin, exacerbating problems like asthma and eczema.  Polyacrylate gel has been banned from feminine hygiene products, but not from disposable diapers.  Also, as 1love4ever mentioned, this means it will absorb a lot of toilet water when you try to flush the g-Diaper flushable.  If the flushable is not properly prepared to be flushed they have been known to grow to the size of a soccer ball and clog plumbing systems.  To properly flush a flushable you need to rip them perforated sides off, shake out the insert, swish it in the toilet with the stick they provide you with to break it up a bit, and then flush the casing separate.  It might only take one flush or two flushes, or... it might not work at all.

Flushable liners are the easiest thing to flush and work quite well.  Fleece liners are great if you're willing to deal with them.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#8 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I dont see the big deal about mec? I always hear of it being some terrible,.sticky tarlike substance impossible to wipe off. When I was visiting my newborn nephew in the hospital the nurse even put petroleum jelly on his bum to make it easier to wipe off. Do my babies have unusual mec or something? Its never been the slightest bit difficult to clean. Might stain a bit, but no moreso than breastmilk poo. Course, I never expect anything intended to be pooped on to remain unstained! Definitely never ruined a diaper. Mec is such a nonissue here I cant imagine doing anything different to deal with it. Makes me wonder, is my experience unusual?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#9 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Meconium can be very sticky and difficult to wipe off hence the use of petroleum jelly (FYI do NOT use petroleum products on cloth diapers!!).  As for staining, meconium is pretty much a guaranteed stain and a lot of parents like to keep their diapers nice and white.  Bf poop (or formula) will not necessarily stain every time.  But either can be easily taken care of by putting the diapers out in the sun for a few hours (after washing).  Stubborn stains may need some lemon juice first and then time in the sun.  But it will come out.

#10 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Is lanolin a good alternative for petroleum based products?

Ive never CD'ed before.

#11 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 02:10 PM

I don't know about lanolin, but we use Earth Mama Angel Baby products (we CD) and it is AMAZING!  It's very healing and all-natural.  They have tons of different products for post-patrum healing for mama, too ;-)  They also have a a nipple butter in case you don't want to use lanolin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Ive never CD'ed before.

#12 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashley111 View Post

Ive never CD'ed before.

Technically, lanolin is considered safe to use on cloth diapers.  For example, California Baby products have lanolin in them.  However, it is my opinion that lanolin can lead to water proofing of your diapers- especially if used profusely- and I would not recommend using it without lining your diapers.  Lanolin is what gives wool its water repellant properties, which is what makes it great for diaper covers.

#13 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM

That makes sense.  I lanolized the wool shorties and covers I made.

#14 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I dont see the big deal about mec? I always hear of it being some terrible,.sticky tarlike substance impossible to wipe off. When I was visiting my newborn nephew in the hospital the nurse even put petroleum jelly on his bum to make it easier to wipe off. Do my babies have unusual mec or something? Its never been the slightest bit difficult to clean. Might stain a bit, but no moreso than breastmilk poo. Course, I never expect anything intended to be pooped on to remain unstained! Definitely never ruined a diaper. Mec is such a nonissue here I cant imagine doing anything different to deal with it. Makes me wonder, is my experience unusual?

I think it might be unusual to have no problems with it, yeah!  We have already been talking about how we're not looking forward to the meconium this time.  We reminisced about when ds1 was born, and he started pooping meconium, and we thought it would never stop!  We were on the kitchen rug, and it just kept coming out, so thick and sticky like tar, and it was impossible to clean his butt, and then our hands that touched it, and then the rug... omg.  What a mess.

After that experience I looked up ways to deal with it better for ds2.  We put olive oil on his booty, and I used fleece liners that I made. 

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#15 of 16 Old 09-09-2011, 09:20 PM

Hahaha, oh man, this reminds me to get ready for those days when newbie babes poo and pee EVERYWHERE.  Often at the same time.. while vomiting as well.  Oye.  

DS1 was done with meconium by the time we left the hospital so we didn't have any issues.... Maybe I should prepare myself this time (we don't plan to stay at the birth center for very long).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post

I think it might be unusual to have no problems with it, yeah!  We have already been talking about how we're not looking forward to the meconium this time.  We reminisced about when ds1 was born, and he started pooping meconium, and we thought it would never stop!  We were on the kitchen rug, and it just kept coming out, so thick and sticky like tar, and it was impossible to clean his butt, and then our hands that touched it, and then the rug... omg.  What a mess.

After that experience I looked up ways to deal with it better for ds2.  We put olive oil on his booty, and I used fleece liners that I made. 

#16 of 16 Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Our hospital sends us home with the diapers that we haven't used.  In the past it was about 20-30 diapers.  So we use those, then by the time they are gone 2-3 days the BM poop has started and we use cloth.  HTH

Me (45)  belly.gif  , DH (43)     yikes2.gif,   DS (8)  geek.gif autismribbon.gif,   DS (5) bikenew.gif,  and  November 20111sttri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page