Baby Shower questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I registered for an expensive item that I was unsure I would get as a gift.  Turns out my friends wanted to get said gift for me - except they bought a rival brand (equally as good, perhaps better), but the item is "gently used".  The item is very pricey still, but I chose my original item because it fit my particular needs (space/weight constraints).  How can I politely say that I don't want the other, used gift that isn't exactly what I was looking for without seeming materialistic?  I was asked a week ago what my preferences were and I gently reiterated that I had registered for x item because it fit my needs...they went ahead and bought y item (the used item) anyway.  Their intention is very well-meaning, but I was planning to buy this high-priced item out-of-pocket anyway.  I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I also want something that fits my needs.

Enjoying life with my two rainbow babies - somewhat crunchy AP mama - BFing, CDing, BWing and making our own baby food!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 PM

tough one!  It would be a pain to re-sell it, but can they even return it if gently used?  Maybe you could regift it in the future (I don't know how easy that would be since I don't know what it is) and just buy the one you wanted anyway?  Or I suppose you could sell it on Craigslist or something... would they notice/be offended?  I'm just not sure that you can tell them you don't want it if they already bought it.....  

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoremomtobe View Post

I registered for an expensive item that I was unsure I would get as a gift.  Turns out my friends wanted to get said gift for me - except they bought a rival brand (equally as good, perhaps better), but the item is "gently used".  The item is very pricey still, but I chose my original item because it fit my particular needs (space/weight constraints).  How can I politely say that I don't want the other, used gift that isn't exactly what I was looking for without seeming materialistic?  I was asked a week ago what my preferences were and I gently reiterated that I had registered for x item because it fit my needs...they went ahead and bought y item (the used item) anyway.  Their intention is very well-meaning, but I was planning to buy this high-priced item out-of-pocket anyway.  I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I also want something that fits my needs.

#3 of 3 Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, JBK.  My mama friends were telling the other group of friends to wait until they talked to me.  These other (non-mamas) went ahead and bought the item in excitement of the price.  Unfortunately, it's a pricey stroller and it's literally too big for my trunk.  I told my mama friend that I'd looked at the dimensions of both strollers and the larger one (the one they bought) is a tad too big for my trunk. It actually would be a pain to try and squeeze it in there...and with twins on the way, it would be nice to have a little bit extra trunk space to throw in a diaper bag or some groceries.  I think they are going to try and resell on Craig's List.  Now that I'm going to be a mama, I realize how little I know/knew about baby items.  Non-mamas should pretty much always listen to experienced mamas when it comes to these sorts of things.  It's a shame because the stroller they bought is very nice and more pricey than something I can afford, but if it won't fit in my car then what good is it?

Enjoying life with my two rainbow babies - somewhat crunchy AP mama - BFing, CDing, BWing and making our own baby food!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page