Gestational Diabetes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there an easy way to switch over to a GD diet? I'm finding it all slightly overwhelming!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 AM

Haha I wish!  Unfortunately different amounts/types of carbs do different things to different people.  Some women can still have fruit, some can't.  Some can have a small dish of ice cream, some can't.  You have to just keep tweaking based on what your glucose readings are after you eat.  I feel for you- my glucose readings are all over the place, even if I have leftovers of the same meal!  I'm not diagnosed yet- just testing to see if I have it.  I'll find out today or Monday, hopefully!  

#3 of 4 Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM

I am about a week and a half in to my diet, and it sucks!  I find that reading labels does me no good.  An 8 oz root beer...sugar is great.  1 slice of pizza, sky high.  English muffin, sky high, mini bagel, sugar is great.  No rhyme or reason to what is happening.  I just write everything down and then my sugar level (2 hours post meal) and weed out what I know is not going to work for me.  

#4 of 4 Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 PM

Well, I don't have GD but I do have a glucose intolerance :(  I have to see a nutritionist to figure out how to change my diet.  I'm a little nervous because I'm already a vegetarian so limiting my diet (especially reducing high protein-high carb foods such as whole grains and beans) feels impossible to me.  I don't know what I'll eat!  Argh.

Here's hoping DH brings me a big fat slice of cake after the birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page