Are home UTI tests accurate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I had a quick question I wanted to run past you guys. Last week I woke up with painful UTI symptoms. These symptoms lasted all morning, so I headed to the doctors for a urinalysis. When I got to the doctors office the pain all of a sudden went away, but took the test anyway. In office test showed I had an infection, but they would still send urine away for a culture. Macrobid antibiotics were prescribed. A couple days later, culture came back positive also.

I came home that day and did some research on Macrobid here on Mothering and on the web and decided I would try some natural remedies first. Fast forward over a week later, still no symptoms (I know you can be asymptomatic with an infection), and some UTI home tests later, and it appears this this is gone.

I got both AZO UTI test strips and VH Essentials UTI test sticks. I am taking 2 home tests a day to keep up on it, at the beginning of the week the tests were positive, but for the last 2 days, the tests are all negative. 

In your opinion, should I go back to the doctors and have them send my urine away again? I am doing everything I can to avoid the antibiotics.

Thanks in advance!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I suppose it could self-correct, but just in case there is also an HerbPharm tincture for UTIs.  I took that with a suspected UTI a few weeks ago and it took the pain away within an hour.  No problems since.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilM View Post

Hi! I had a quick question I wanted to run past you guys. Last week I woke up with painful UTI symptoms. These symptoms lasted all morning, so I headed to the doctors for a urinalysis. When I got to the doctors office the pain all of a sudden went away, but took the test anyway. In office test showed I had an infection, but they would still send urine away for a culture. Macrobid antibiotics were prescribed. A couple days later, culture came back positive also.

I came home that day and did some research on Macrobid here on Mothering and on the web and decided I would try some natural remedies first. Fast forward over a week later, still no symptoms (I know you can be asymptomatic with an infection), and some UTI home tests later, and it appears this this is gone.

I got both AZO UTI test strips and VH Essentials UTI test sticks. I am taking 2 home tests a day to keep up on it, at the beginning of the week the tests were positive, but for the last 2 days, the tests are all negative. 

In your opinion, should I go back to the doctors and have them send my urine away again? I am doing everything I can to avoid the antibiotics.

Thanks in advance!

User Tag List