Mothering Forum banner

How close to ready are you for baby?

818 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jbk21 
#1 ·
With my first baby I had everything bought, washed, cleaned, organized, put away and ready before I even made it to my thrid trimester! Now, 20 years later with baby number five, all these other kids running around, a small farm, a full time job, ack, here I am 7months pregnant and just now today am I washing baby clothes to put into her drawer. I still have things on my list not bought and I'm sure not packed for or pre registered at the hospital. haven't called our pediatrican yet either. Of course, it's a given who we will use, since I love her and she's seen all my other kids. But no one has been to the doctor lately and so she isn't even aware the baby is coming. I think the nesting urge is starting to settle over me though, so watch out!

#2 ·
I'm not, at all. I do not want to have my baby while living in this house, but we can't seem to get moved :( I have about 4 or 5 pieces of clothing--two onesies and three pairs of pants. The stuff from my previous girls was all destroyed by flooding and the cats. I have my wrap and mei tai and two diapers that don't need serious work to bring them back to life (assuming they can be saved, they're pretty water damaged)--one new and one EUC and 5 lovely colorful prefolds. We need a mattress and a place to put it for our oldest as our king is not big enough for the 5 of us. I have two working boobs, LOL. I have a few baby toys and devices (bouncy chair, exersaucers, jumperoo, baby piano...) and a carseat. I also have three hooded towels and two swim diapers now. And I'm set for Boppies. I have some older baby shoes and boots, but nothing newborn.

So, I need more clothes, socks, shoes and diapers and a few baby care products (I could use some new lanolin, too--mine's expired and smells funny). My nesting urge is running circles like a hamster: "Get out of here, get out of here, establish a new den!" and I'm pretty depressed by it.

#3 ·
Oh how frustrating!! I hope you get moved soon!! I also had to start over, not from a flood, but just because we thought we were done last time so I had given it all away! One thing i have learned from four previous children is that I don't really need half the stuff I had before!

#4 ·
We have NOTHING prepared. Nothing. And this is our first baby! We're SO excited, but our living situation is a bit difficult. We live with my husband's grandmother, and we don't have much room here that's "ours." So we are gonna have to fit the baby into our already-tiny-and-cramped room, and I really have no clear view of how that's gonna work. Most of all, we're waiting till after our baby shower (which is in 2 weeks) cause I just have no idea what we're gonna get. So we've bought some baby clothes and... nothing else. No diapers, nothing. I put a bunch of cloth diapers on my registry, but have no idea if people will buy them for us or not.

I'm 32 weeks now, I'll be 34 at my baby shower, and it's just gonna be a mad hustling dash to organize everything between the shower and the baby's arrival.

Also, we will be moving out sometime early next year, so this is just a temporary setup for us. Makes it confusing trying to figure out exactly how much to buy/set up, and what to put off for when baby's a little older and we have our own home.

#5 ·
I've done nothing. I mean, nothing. I literally just found a midwife. But at the same time, I do have a 20 month old right now so I feel as though I was just there, doing it all. I will just need to get back out some things and start over... again. Hmm... now that I'm thinking about it, we did buy a mini van, so that's something. And I'm working on potty training ds so that I don't have two in diapers. My items to purchase list includes a used swing and bouncy seat and a dresser.

#6 ·
Crib is put back together and bedding is put on it, changing table has all of the necessities on the shelves (receiving blankets, washclothes, newborn and 0-3 month clothes, lotion, baby powder, combs, etc). I also took a new securtiy blanket and sewed it onto a toy bunny's hand and made it look like he has it to his cheek. I think he'll like this toy. :) 053.jpg So, everything except a carseat and diapers is set to go!

#7 ·
We're pretty well ready. I have lots of diapers, enough clothes, carseat, swing, bouncy seat, Boppy. Mostly I need to start mentally preparing myself, lol. The biggest thing left is to pay off my midwife and order the birth kit. Other than that, we're pretty much set. But, we also have a 19 month old, so we're not too far removed from baby stuff, either.

#8 ·
I pretty much have everything, but nothing is well organized yet. Much of my NB baby things are in the attic, so I need to find a time to get them down. I did buy the baby a new dresser, so I'm halfway there! I'm sure that I'll need a couple of new things, since this baby will be born in the winter, but I'm not too worried about it yet.

I also need to get my co-sleeper back from my friend, buy a new bouncy seat, order my birthing kit, and make some freezer meals. I'm really not feeling too rushed about it now, I still have 10+ weeks.

#9 ·
I've seen some pretty cool setups with just a small dresser in the corner with a changing pad on top, with a shelf above that with baby necessities (baby powder, rash cream, etc.) You can even hang a little mobile over the changing pad! If you're not planning to co-sleep in the same bed, you can squeeze a little bassinet or moses basket next to your bed since baby will still be in your room for the first few months anyway (at least until you move, hopefully?) Then you can spread out a bit :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKatie View Post

We have NOTHING prepared. Nothing. And this is our first baby! We're SO excited, but our living situation is a bit difficult. We live with my husband's grandmother, and we don't have much room here that's "ours." So we are gonna have to fit the baby into our already-tiny-and-cramped room, and I really have no clear view of how that's gonna work. Most of all, we're waiting till after our baby shower (which is in 2 weeks) cause I just have no idea what we're gonna get. So we've bought some baby clothes and... nothing else. No diapers, nothing. I put a bunch of cloth diapers on my registry, but have no idea if people will buy them for us or not.

I'm 32 weeks now, I'll be 34 at my baby shower, and it's just gonna be a mad hustling dash to organize everything between the shower and the baby's arrival.

Also, we will be moving out sometime early next year, so this is just a temporary setup for us. Makes it confusing trying to figure out exactly how much to buy/set up, and what to put off for when baby's a little older and we have our own home.

#10 ·
We have nearly everything we need (except a carseat... kind of important!) There are a few more "wants" that we don't have - like a booster seat/highchair, a baby gate to keep the dog corraled if need be, etc.

I just need to dig out the newborn clothes and get them ready to go. Boppy is ready, diapers are ready (still being used by DS1- that's a problem... I don't want two in diapers!) Slings are washed and ready. My boobs are in working order :)

There are lots of projects that I'd like to finish around the house, as well as knit some things. I need to get the boys' room ready (not that baby will be in there for a long time, but when will I have time to do it after the birth?! :))

So I'm feeling pretty unprepared, but we really have almost everything we "need" so the rest of it is just preferential stuff. It will get done, I'm sure. Unless i have this kid super early!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.