What Child Birth Class do you Recommend? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Best Childbirth Class?
Birthing from Within 1 10.00%
Confident Childbirth 1 10.00%
Bradley Method Classes 3 30.00%
Lamaze Method Classes 0 0%
HypnoBirthing Classes 3 30.00%
HypnoBabies Classes 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right now I am between choosing a "Confident Childbirth" class and a "Birthing from Within" class. Any input on either or another one that you used and found really helpful (and what it was that helped you about the classes you took.....)

Any other tips, things that you found useful or resources you recommed I am all ears!

lurk.gif

Thank you!!!!

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I took the Bradley method class years ago.  They were very comprehensive and I learned a lot of great info.  I also had a very good teacher, which I'm sure helped.

With #2 I did the home-study course for Hypno-birthing.  I highly recommend Hypnobirthing, it really helped me to stay relaxed during labor.  The whole thing was very manageable and calm.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM

I took Bradley, also, with my first. It was wonderful. I felt totally prepared for labor and birth. Being so knowledgeable about the process and prepared from all the practice/ homework/ exercises you do was very empowering to me. However, it is a 12 week course, so I think you would've needed to start already? Actually... I think I started a bit late.

I also took Birthing From Within. That was with #2. I took it at the same place you will, likely, as we are in the same city. I got nothing from it. That is probably going to be the minority opinion, though! I am not a very...um...spiritual person, I guess? Spiritual is not the right word. I like facts and hands-on techniques. Drawing birth art and having my birth partner wash my feet by candlelight does *not* prepare me for birth. But, again, I think I am in the minority. I think a lot of people like BFW. 

If I could get every mother to take Bradley, I would. I can't stress enough how helpful it was.

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

You're not alone!  I tried to read the Birthing From Within book while I was pregnant with #1.  I made it about halfway in before it got WAY too fluffy and reflective for me..  It totally depends on your personality, but I know many people that aren't into this method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkToMeNow View Post

I also took Birthing From Within. That was with #2. I took it at the same place you will, likely, as we are in the same city. I got nothing from it. That is probably going to be the minority opinion, though! I am not a very...um...spiritual person, I guess? Spiritual is not the right word. I like facts and hands-on techniques. Drawing birth art and having my birth partner wash my feet by candlelight does *not* prepare me for birth. But, again, I think I am in the minority. I think a lot of people like BFW. 

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 PM

I used the Bradley Method for my first four births.  This time around I am taking the Hypnobabies (different from hypnobirthing) home study course.  I am very happy with what I am learning and I'm looking forward to a relaxed and easy birth this time around.  On BabyCenter there is an entire group devoted to hypnobabies with experienced moms that can answer many questions about the program. You can also search here on Mothering for more information on the various hypnosis programs.

Jen - married to my superhero.gif, mama to DD (19), DD (17), DS (13), DSD (13), DS (8), forever missing my Hannah Grace candle.gif born still at 18 weeks, now on bedrest and expecting our miracle rainbow1284.gif in November.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Heh, I consider myself a very spiritual person but I only made it a few pages in before I couldn't handle it. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

You're not alone!  I tried to read the Birthing From Within book while I was pregnant with #1.  I made it about halfway in before it got WAY too fluffy and reflective for me..  It totally depends on your personality, but I know many people that aren't into this method.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 PM

I read "Birthing from Within" cover to cover, at the beginning of my first trimester.  I found it helpful to think about all the artistic visualizations and the birth stories were interesting.  I dug all the spiritual stuff orngbiggrin.gif and the breadth of birth topics she covers.  But I believe reading the book kinda wrecked any chance of me gleaning anything extra from the class, because I felt like I knew too much about how the machine runs, so to speak.  I mean that I would not have been able to spontaneously explore my inner feelings about birth in the BFW way (through art, meditation, journaling) after reading all those artwork interpretations and visualizations in the book.  Like if I were told to draw my fears I would just think of all the examples in the book and dissect my feelings before I could even put the crayon to paper.  Does that make sense?  My DH and I did practice the ice cube pain management technique and found it very enlightening.

So, I'm very glad I read the book thumb.gif but I'm comfortable that I didn't spend my precious money on the class.  But that's just my learning style, I guess smile.gif  

married to my best friend ; Proud mama of one fine boy and one fine girl !!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I did the HypBirth home study course, which she suggests starting around 32 weeks.  It was great!  I had to get over her mannerisms at first (when watching the DVD), but once I got into listening to the CD's I was hooked.  It worked wonderfully.  I bought mine off of eBay and resold it after I was done.  No money spent in the end!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM

I did a hypnobirthing class with my doula but she also incorporates all the best of the other techniques as well (she's actually working with her doula partner to develop her own class). I really learned SO much compared to my existing knowledge and I was amazed at how much better/different it was than the first class I took at the birth center with my daughter's pregnancy.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

User Tag List