Midwife and doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone having a midwife and doula at their birth?  If so, what are the reasons for your choice?  We were not considering having a doula but really connected with our birthing class facilitator and are now considering hiring her for the birth.   My mom was at our first birth but she passed away shortly after and I can't shake the feeling that I will need and want some additional "mothering" at the birth this time around.

#2 of 7 Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Crashing here, but saw your post. I had a doula for both my births. My midwife had an emergency transfer to a bigger hospital for DD's birth 3 years ago, and was away on vacation for this one. I had my OB, whom I absolutely love, very natural etc. but I could not have had a natural birth without my doula. My DH was wonderful, but my doula knew exactly what to do to keep me calm and things moving. I wholeheartedly recommend having one. Good luck with your birth!
#3 of 7 Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM

We're doing a midwife and doula.  We love our midwife, but she's part of a practice and we may not get her for our birth.  We've met most of the midwives in the practice, love some of them and are ok with the others, but don't love them.  We were back and forth on the doula issue, but I suspect I'll be the kind of person that needs constant attention during birth, and so would benefit from having a dedicated support person.  DH is great, but is prone to freezing when he doesn't know what to do.  He gets most concerned about not making things worse.  So I think a doula will be supportive of me throughout, but will also help DH to be supportive.  

#4 of 7 Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm having a midwife and most likely a doula.  I want a home birth for health, safety and comfort reasons and a midwife is naturally what I chose for that, I am not brave enough for UC yet:)   As far as my doula goes, she will be there unless she is in class, she is a nursing student and is in the same class as I was and if you miss a class or clinical day it is VERY bad so I would not expect her to miss because I was in labor, so hopefully she will not be in class when I need her!  I chose to have her there because she is very smart, she is my friend and she has many effective pain relief techniques.

#5 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Yes. I've done two births now--one with and one without a doula. I will NEVER do that myself again (not have a doula). The difference was that important. And I'm sick of OBs and more specifically, the hospitals.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#6 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I will be having a midwife and a doula. In the hospital I think having a doula is critical to be able to have the birth you want. At home (as we are doing) I want someone who can answer the door/phone, shuffle kids, take pictures, relieve my husband, fetch drinks and help me feel better. I plan to keep her busy. ;)

#7 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Please start and continue this thread on the Social Group so we don't lose it when the forum closes!  You can find the link to join the group at the top of the forum or click on the "Groups" tab on the navibar.  Thanks!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page