Pregnant without insurance, single and - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm currently pregnant 2 months and i'll be losing my job next week. well in the first place, i'm a freelancer so i don't have medical insurance, never had and make only enough to pay rent and basic living. Now single mother, don't want to lose the baby... i can't apply to medicaid because have to have show 4 pay checks demonstrating that i'm making less than 1800 per month. basically i did more than this month..so in theory i should wait for another month and a half to be able to apply. the money i made it's already going to my rent. and try to move out now from my place and pay all fees and find something affordable in ny is  almost impossible.

if it's any idea, or suggestion i can use, i will really appreciate it. I would like to go to regular prenatal care with low cost and do the regular tests and do prenatal assistance to make sure the baby is ok.

I believe any country should have social securities for mothers without partners and without insurance. It's frustraiting to know I had paid more than 40% of taxes of my work and it's nothing out there  that can help middle class americans and specially womans expecting babies. i had gone to various non profit organizations and centers and no one is capable to give me good answers.  it makes me feel i should write an article and make a movement to help those moms who are in struggle looking for basic social care! personally, i feel it's insane.

best to all!

ana

#2 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Have you considered doing a homebirth? The out of pocket costs would be tremendously less and you'd most likely be able to make a pay schedule. 

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Have you looked around to see if your community has a free prenatal clinic? Many do. I would also say just apply for medicade again in a month and a half. I know you'd rather see the doc now but really right now all they do is verify the pregnancy and tell you to come back in a month anyway. 

If you want to go the route of a midwife, try looking for one in training, the usually give big discounts because they need the experiance, but are supervised by a more experianced midwife so you aren't just getting someone clueless, they've already had classes and observed and assisted on many births. 

Also, pregnancy medicade has a higher income limit than regular medicade. So even if you make too much for regular medicade, you might still qualify for pregnancy medicade. Worth checking into. If you make too much for that, there is CHIP which also will cover you for a pregnancy. you can make more money and still qualify for CHIP, which has a small payment attached and like maybe a five dollar copay for visits. Apply for everything.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#4 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM

You can still file to be on Medicaid. Go have an appointment with a case worker there. I am self employed- I clean houses and I get Medicaid.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Welcome to MDC!  wave.gif

I would suggest also posting in the Finding Your Tribe section for where you live to get local ideas to pursue and joining your due date social club for intimate support throughout your pregnancy.  You could also post in the I'm Pregnant forum.  But, this is the November 2011 DDC forum so your post will not get a lot of traffic.  If you're 2 months pregnant, then you're due in June or July?

June: http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/12/june-2012-ddc

July: http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/15/july-2012-ddc

Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 6 Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Look into Medicaid again.  You should apply and speak with someone if you are denied.  Other options?  Well, you will be unable to get private health insurance to cover a pregnancy.  If you haven't been insured for six months, look into PCIP.  The premiums are not bad and though I'm not entirely sure of everything covered, you should definitely look into it, especially if you end up with another job in which you make too much to get Medicaid.  As a last resort (though, you should look into PCIP before this), look to see if there are any health insurance co-ops in your area that would cover maternity care.

Good luck.  The health insurance situation in this country is absolutely, horrifyingly disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

Have you considered doing a homebirth? The out of pocket costs would be tremendously less and you'd most likely be able to make a pay schedule. 

Though I think this is a great idea, she may not be comfortable with it and if she is, it doesn't cover the "what ifs" that go along with birth.  Not to mention, she very well may have to pay OOP for lab work, ultrasounds, and any other issue that arises.  Look into homebirth if it's something you may want to do, but also look into your options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

You can still file to be on Medicaid. Go have an appointment with a case worker there.

nod.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page