Would you or did you adopt transracially? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Have you or would you adopt transracially?
Yes we adopted transracially 42 36.21%
Yes, we plan to adopt transracially 54 46.55%
No, we did not and don't plan to 7 6.03%
We adopted same-race but plan to adopt transracially in the future 1 0.86%
Other 12 10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 62 Old 04-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back when I posted in this thread we had not gotten Baby Bear yet. Now we have him and he will be an interesting Peanut to raise because he is black but he is so light he almost looks white. I don't want him to lose the black part of his heritage or culture though.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 62 Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"We're in the foster-to-adopt process, are both white, and were planning to adopt transracially. The logic is thus--our county has a harder time placing kids of color. There are more of them. There are more white adoptive parents than adoptive parents of color. And, at least in our training class, those white parents were CLUELESS about race. (I don't care if the kid is green...the world doesn't have racism any more...my all white town will be just fine with this...)

...How do we deal with the messed up foster system? For those of you who adopted through other routes, you may not know it, but the public agencies are forbidden to use race as a placement criteria or proxies for race (e.g. neighborhood), forbidden to require more training of parents adopting transracially, and forbidden to discriminate based on race. I have a friends and colleagues who were adopted transracially and have come to a place of believing that all other factors being equal, children should be placed with the family that looks more like them and is a part of their culture, that the placement agencies should evaluate the ability of a family to help a child develop a positive racial identity, and that more training should be required of parents (esp. white ones) adopting transracially but...we can't even talk about it."

Hey, we're right there with you! I still have flashbacks to that part of the foster-to-adopt training. What the facilitator said, what the people around me said... aaaaargh (bangs head on desk). And no additional training? No social worker resource with specific expertise? Seriously???

Bottom line is, we wouldn't be offering ourselves up as F2A parents in the state of South Carolina if we weren't open to a transracial placement. I can HOPE that our team of social workers won't give us a Black child who would be, according to their famous "colorblind" criteria, just as well matched with a waiting Black family they have on file. But realistically - every single family at our training was white. My region and state are in the wholesale transracial adoption business, and that's what I have signed up for. If I didn't believe I could be a competent parent to a child of any color, then I would be pursuing a private adoption.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page