experience with CASA volunteer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering becoming a CASA volunteer and was hoping to hear from people who had experience being a volunteer, or just had experienced them through being a foster parent. I'm interested in everything -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks!

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#2 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We don't have CASA's here but our Guardian Ad Litems function in the same role (they aren't lawyers, either.) I've had wonderful experiences. The two that my foster daughter has had (the first had to withdrawl due to family illness) have been terrific. They come out to our house every month and really get to know the children. They've been a great support system.

My son's GAL wasn't very involved in his case but I didn't need him to be. He was, however, very involved with C's older sister's case.
#3 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Casa?

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#4 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Court Appointed Special Advocate. Represents the child in court.
#5 of 9 Old 05-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
Court Appointed Special Advocate. Represents the child in court.
Aaah, thanks.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#6 of 9 Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 AM

:

I've been thinking of doing this as well.

#7 of 9 Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Our CASA is a HERO!

He is the advocate for each of the kids individually and the 5 as a sibling group. His reports to the court are so respected that the judge typically includes long direct quotes in his decision. He has access to even more documentation than the caseworker, more time than any of the lawyers, and no personal ax to grind. I can only guess how much time he puts into this case - it has been going for 2 years, and I see him at monthly treatment team meetings, every court date, all "Family Decision Meetings", and anything else. He also occassionally shows up with tickets for the circus, an airshow, or other activity. Plus he visits each kid monthly. It takes a rare dedication to help kids in this way. From my point of view, he does the dry dull part of the work (mainly paperwork), without the paybacks I get - a snugly smile in the morning or a 1st grader's Mother's Day card.

We love our CASA!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#8 of 9 Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM

I've been thinking about this too, please nlet us know how it works out for you.
#9 of 9 Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM

:

taking notes.... I've been thinking of doing the same thing since I saw CASA highlighted on the Dr. Phil show. My concern is having two small children of my own. I have considered fostering at some point in the future but for now I live in a super small house with barely enough space for our family of four. When I saw the CASA program on Dr. Phil, I thought that would be a great way to serve a child without being a foster parent. I contacted them via their website for more info but would love more input on this thread as I wait for their response. I'm mainly interested in how time consuming you felt it was. I know PP said it had to take up a lot of time and I'm wondering what "a lot" means

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page