Anyone do a straight adoption from foster care in Louisiana? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all I've read the steps on the Louisiana Department of Children's Services website to adopting through them (not fostering). Has anyone done this here, and if so, can you tell me what it was like? The very first thing it says is that you have to follow these 8 steps, unless you are home study approved. Does that mean any home study in the state, or one through them?

Mom, Dad, Daughter (11), Son (8), Daughter (5) & Son (10 months) chicken3.gif
Homeschooling Family

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, we're currently foster to adopt parents in Louisiana. Now we've had 5 kids total.

We were planning to do only adoption, but ended up fostering in order to get younger kids. I believe the website might mean that currently licensed adoptive/foster parents that have a homestudy don't need to go through the 8 steps again. Or they might accept a homestudy done privately, but you'd have to verify that. Or if you've been licensed in another state, it would carry over as long as it was current and you were still in that state.

We have a placement now that's supposed to be adoptive. Our almost 3 year old has his goal set as adoption and the parent's rights should be terminated in January. Along with him is his baby sister whose goal is still reunification, and so we're strictly fostering her right now. However, if all goes as planned, rights will be terminated for both kids at the same time and we will move forward with adoption. So I don't know if we would have been contacted about them if we'd only been listed as adoptive parents.

Where in Louisiana are you? We're in Caddo.

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page