Ugandan and Rwandan adoption, for anyone who might be interested... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks so much, Tiffani!

Our situation is actually quite similar, as the country we are in does not allow anyone to adopt without it being through one of the three existing programs (which deal with very few countries). We are not able to move out for at least 3 years and might like to stay here, anyway. I wonder how long we would need to love in the US in order to just go through them and bypass this (in this matter stupid) country.

Did you need to use a US social worker for the home study or would the US accept anyone who is certified in the country you live in or whatever? I am just so stuck and don't even know where to begin to truly research all this. On one hand I am finding out that dh's US citizenship would not help us at all since we now live here... On the other, that it might help. I have no clue.

I guess we would need to have guardianship and a US visa for the child and travel there.... Then we would have to wait until the adoption was final (how long might this take?) and maybe then we would be able to return home. If it is so, it does not sound doable for us. :(

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM

Hi there,

My husband and I are from New Zealand, yet it seems really restrictive here to adopt from any african country. We were aware of the Ugandan option but get stale-mated by NZ law. How did you manage to adopt Ugandan children while in NZ? Is it because you are citizens elsewhere, or because you went through the process after leaving NZ?

Open to any suggestions, we have one son but would love to add two or three extra to our family!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post

So... we moved to New Zealand, and stumbled onto Uganda, which has been difficult for some people, but through the wonderful world of blogging, we learned the pitfalls and also made a lot of contacts, which is everything in indy adoption. You really do need experienced families to help you through the process.
#33 of 44 Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 PM

Ignore me . . . just read the full thread and I see you had to leave NZ. We may have to do the same thing!!

#34 of 44 Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

yes, sorry jadagrace, it would be difficult while living in NZ to adopt from Uganda.  At the same time, NZ is so very logical, I wonder if you might be able to convince the powers that be that their laws are outdated and perhaps you could get them changed?  It would at least be worth a try -- might take years, but I think it takes a few years just to get through the homestudy process anyway, so you could give it a shot?   When I talked to the folks at the department of child welfare (or whatever the agency is called that deals with adoptions there) they were very helpful in trying to find a  workable solution for us, but in the end, nothing could be done.  Best wishes!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#35 of 44 Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by LessTraveledBy View Post
Did you need to use a US social worker for the home study or would the US accept anyone who is certified in the country you live in or whatever? I am just so stuck and don't even know where to begin to truly research all this. On one hand I am finding out that dh's US citizenship would not help us at all since we now live here... On the other, that it might help. I have no clue.

You can use a US social worker, or someone who is certified in your country of residence, but the homestudy must then be approved by a US agency, I believe... or maybe we just had to do that because our homestudy lady was independently certified, so she had to send our homestudy to a US agency and they looked it over and approved it for $600.

you should look into adopting as americans living abroad, that would be your official status, using your husband's citizenship.  Your country of residence will also have it's own laws surrounding issuing your adopted children visas.  The biggest sticky point for us was that in uganda they only issue you legal guardianship -- with a full adoption order, NZ would have let the kids in on the same visas our bio kids had.

Quote:

I guess we would need to have guardianship and a US visa for the child and travel there.... Then we would have to wait until the adoption was final (how long might this take?) and maybe then we would be able to return home. If it is so, it does not sound doable for us. :(

There are a few states where you can finalize an adoption fairly quickly. Hawaii is one of them, Texas another... Hawaii also does quickie passports, so a lot of americans living abroad stop off in hawaii to finalize their child's adoptions, get their passport, then return to their country of residence.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#37 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Because of the slowdown in Ethiopia, I have had a lot of messages about Ugandan adoption, so I thought I should update this thread. Rwandan adoption is essentially halted currently, from what I understand, while they implement the Hague, but there are others here with more information about that, specifically ariah'smum. :-) Ugandan adoption is alive and well, and there are agencies operating there, but you can just as easily adopt independently for a lot less money. If you are looking for an older or special needs child, AAI is a wonderful agency, and their Ugandan program coordinator is working tirelessly to find families for these kids. The best place to gather information is on the Ugandan adoption facebook group. It's a closed group, so you have to request to join, but as long as you're an interested family, you are eligible to join, we just want to keep out anyone working or volunteering for agencies, orphanages, lawyers, etc, so that we can all speak freely. In a nutshell, you can go with an agency, and other than AAI, I don't know anything about any of them, so can't speak to that. The facebook group is great if you have questions about agencies. If you want to adopt independently, you contact a reputable lawyer (again, facebook group is great for recommendations) who may or may not be able to help you find a waiting child. There has been a flood of interest in Ugandan adoption, so finding a baby is much more difficult now than even a few months ago, but it's not impossible. If you are willing to make a trip to Uganda to network and find a child, it can be done rather quickly and ethically. If you can't do that, you have to contact babies' homes yourself, and inquire about waiting children. Uganda is not going to be a great place to adopt babies from -- it can happen, and there are many abandoned babies each year in some regions, but the wait for these children is only going to grow, while so many toddlers, young children, and older children wait and wait. I have known families who have adopted Ugandan children of all ages (including teens) and it is amazing how well they adjust. The Ugandan culture is very warm and loving, and the kids are held and loved and honored. My kids are nuts, I have to run, but join the facebook group if you're seriously wanting more information about Ugandan adoption!

#38 of 44 Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info! What is the full name for AAI? There are a couple organization that use that acronym so I want to be sure I am getting the right one. 

#39 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Adoption Advocates International in Washington

http://adoptionadvocates.org/about/about_aai.php

this is a wonderful program looking to find families for older and special needs kiddos.

#40 of 44 Old 04-14-2013, 03:41 PM

Hi Tiffani! I am over the top excited to have found your post here and would LOVE to talk on the phone. I lived in UGanda for a while and run a ministry there, and got married 1.5 years ago and living in Colorado- and have a huge burden to research how to adopt from Uganda. I know the process on that side, but would Love to talk to you about how to do it independently like you did!! Lets talk!

I see you wrote this in 2009, Hope you read this and get back to me! [email protected]

blessings,

kelsey

#41 of 44 Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Kelsey, I am in CO too and I would love to answer questions if you need help.

Tiffani is a rockstar and knows a lot too and is really helpful! She helped me avoid some difficulties and to do things right by all involved during our adoptions. 

Let me know if you have questions.

Marci

knit.gif

Married to my best friend, homeschooling, gardening,

running a camp for at-risk kiddos and walking a narrow path.

Mom to an amazingly fun crew of 5!

hearts.gifafro.jpg  wave.gif   thumbsuck.gif     boc.gif 

#42 of 44 Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Is there anyway you could PM me the information of the Lawyer you used or the orphanage? I was in the middle of the adoption process but the orphanage I was using has no adoptable orphans at this time (which is good, in some ways). I am now starting over, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

#43 of 44 Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 PM

I am interested in independent adoption from Uganda or Rwanda but there is no way I could spend months in country.  What are the fees roughly?

#44 of 44 Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM

Do they actually allow this?

Tags
Adoption , Adoptioned Llc , Adoption Works Press , Adoption Crossroads , Adoption Update , Adoption Is Okay , Adoption Awareness Press , Adoption Is Forever

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page