Low-income, single parent adoption? Possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm in TX FWIW.

I'm low-income, single, and self-employed. I have one Bio-DD, but am trying to come with grips with the fact that my Dr doesn't recommend I have any more children due to my thyroid issues. We're a no-vax family and home school too.

Is adoption even a remote possibility? I know I can't foster as here they require a Driver's License and I don't have one {can't get due to health issues}

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#2 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I'm in TX FWIW.

I'm low-income, single, and self-employed. I have one Bio-DD, but am trying to come with grips with the fact that my Dr doesn't recommend I have any more children due to my thyroid issues. We're a no-vax family and home school too.

Is adoption even a remote possibility? I know I can't foster as here they require a Driver's License and I don't have one {can't get due to health issues}
I was single and didn't have a driver's license when I adopted DS. To adopt from foster care in my area (DS was through a private agency, but I investigated adopting from foster care) you just need to be able to demonstrate that you have the ability to meet all your own needs, and the needs of your current child(ren) without the resources available to a foster child, and that with those resources you could meet the needs of a foster child. So, if you're paying all your bills on time, able to feed, house, clothe and educate your current child decently, and have a plan for getting both kids to the Dr. and other places as needed, then you'd be approved.

Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 04:45 PM

I can't address some elements of your question, but I know that Texas offers some financial assistance for the adoption of harder to place children -- kids that are older, have emotional or medical issues, that sort of thing.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 12 Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Just wanted to say that while we were at our information meeting about foster to adopt in Arkansas a few ladies got up and left because they require your bio children to be vaxed. Might want to check into that in Texas.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#5 of 12 Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No one has ever asked if my bios are vaxed.

"don't ask; don't tell"

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#6 of 12 Old 12-22-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
No one has ever asked if my bios are vaxed.

"don't ask; don't tell"
Interesting. I'm almost positive I had to have a form filled out by my goddaughter's pediatrician (I was sharing a home with her mother when I did the homestudy) and that that question was on there. I think it was more "is she up to date with vaccines and routine medical care" as a way of ascertaining that she didn't have neglectful parents, as opposed to looking at unvaxed kids as dangerous, so maybe we could have explained that mom was meticulous in her care, but chose not vax.
#7 of 12 Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Must be a state-by-state difference. I needed a simple statement that I was reasonably healthy to foster, then an incredibly in depth physical (actual numbers for lab values!), but no one ever questioned the bio-dumplings health.

I did once get hotlined for supposed medical neglect of my bio daughter - she has a medical condition that causes facial hair, and an incredibly insensitive transporter called on me. It was so inappropriate and inaccurate and intrusive that I made a huge fuss, and perhaps they are scared to mention anything medical to me.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#8 of 12 Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
I'm in TX FWIW.

I've been wondering the same thing. I am a single mom here in NYC. I am sure they're going to make me jump through hoops to prove my worth to adopt from foster care. I am still in the pondering stage. I have a six year old son and can't have any more kids (emergency hysterectomy right after he was born). He and I have spoke about adopting and I know it would be hard b.c. I'm considering an older child (there are a few eight year old girls who I've seen that tug at my heart strings), but I know that a lot of them have behavioral issues RAD etc. and am not sure I am yet at the pt. in my support system to deal with them. Plus I would hate to have this decision negatively effect my son if it turned out to be a nightmare. We unschool so maybe that makes it an even bigger consideration. I dunno I would love to one day.
#9 of 12 Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It wasnt that hard for me to get approved. At the time of my initial homestudy i was HSing my son who was 9 at the time. We do not vax. I was required to get the TB tine test for myself and my son (its the skin test), they require for kids over three i believe, here in my state. I am fairly low income (to give you an idea, my kids can qualify for free school lunch and medicaid based on my income, and i bet we could get other assistance such as food stamps if i inquired) and all my agency required was that i had enough money coming in to cover the bills going out.

How they would handle the vax status of your kids depends on the state. Here it was no problem. On the form for my son's physical it did have an in depth section for vaxes, but it was just a standard state form used for other things besides foster care/adoption. I just had the doctor write that i waive vaccination. Not a problem.

Im not even sure that here the lack of a drivers license would be a problem to foster as long as you had the ability to get the kids where they needed to go for visitation, appts etc. They seem pretty flexible on everything but criminal history.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#10 of 12 Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was staying with my mom who fosters in TX, I just had to get a TB titer done. They didn't require even that for DD, just the adults in the home.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#11 of 12 Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM

As with all adoption stuff, it's state by state. I know we needed physicals for every person in the home, including my 3 biokids. TB titers for everyone, too, and a signed vax record. It's possible that I could have claimed an exemption, I didn't even try.

I know for us you needed to be able to pay your own bills and not recieve TANF or other assistance. I know you needed to have an excess of 200 per month to qualify. They don't want people doing foster care/adoption for the subsidy. And in situatons like the one here this summer, when the state budget was delayed for 3-4 months, foster/adoptive parents didn't get paid for a long time. They want you to be able to weather a situation like that.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#12 of 12 Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 PM

Wow, it is amazing how much this varies from state to state. I am in the process of adopting from my state (no referral, but have taken all classes and had several homestudy meetings). I have only been asked if dd was healthy and have not been asked, even verbally, about vaxes, etc. I do vax, so I could easily answer their questions/give them her records but this has not been asked for. In terms of low-income, I agree that it is mostly about being able to pay your own bills and that they are open to have this look different ways for different people. On the other hand, I am being grilled about everything else under the sun for my homestudy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page