Does anyone watch Glee? Want to discuss the portrayal of adoption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That was the MOST ridiculous and unrealistic portrayal of how adoption works I have seen. I mean, you don't get to walk into a hospital and adopt a baby just like that. As an adoptive parent, you don't get to 'choose' your baby and the birthmom.

Why didn't Quinn (birthmom) know who was adopting her baby? What about Puck (birthdad) because he very clearly wanted a relationship with his daughter.

I love this show but I think they did a huge disservice to the adoptive community by portraying adoption so flipantly. I also do not think they did a good job of expressing the difficulties a birthmom faces when placing her baby for adoption. Some of the things they said and they way they said them seemed so flat and unemotional.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#2 of 26 Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM

I don't really watch Glee. I don't "get" it and it isn't funny to me at all. But I've seen a few episodes on Hulu because I keep trying to understand what all the fuss is about.

The whole adoption thing was unrealistic, unnecessary, and lame. I wish tv and movies would just leave the subject of adoption alone until they start doing a lot more research first. Friends, Juno...I can't think of anytime I've seen adoption handled well. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive to it as a birthmom.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 26 Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM

One of the most ridiculous portrayals of adoption was on King of Queens...they basically called up and ordered a baby from China. Or at least it took about that long, and was approached with that easy of an attitude. From Adoptive Families Magazine:

Quote:
The King of Queens
In the CBS sitcom’s series finale, Doug and Carrie are on the verge of divorce, and decide to adopt to save their marriage. They complete the paperwork, and, weeks later, get a referral for a four-day-old girl from China. They race to see who gets there first, only to realize, after they arrive, that Carrie is pregnant. At the end, the couple is “stuck” with the Chinese infant. Several AF readers were disgusted by the show’s trivialization of the realities of adoption (and infertility)—and so were we!
Yeah...I think adoption, the real guts and grits of it, is too scary/unknown for people and writers to manage in primetime shows. Three viewpoints to portray (triad)?? Whuh?? And wait times? And homestudies? Nah...let's all make it a little bit simpler!

Still, you'd think they could find a balance between reality and what basically amounts to a stork dropping a child off at your door.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 26 Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM

I've never seen a realistic portrayal of birth on television either, so it is not at all surprising that they don't do a good job with adoption either.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#5 of 26 Old 06-09-2010, 05:57 PM

Yes, it was very weird. In defense of the show, there are still some bmoms who want closed adoptions. I don't really get it personally, but everyone's different and not all people want all of the information those of us in semi-open or open adoptions are used to having. I did think it was weird that the adoptive parent knew who the bmom was, though... but as someone above said, it's not as if TV is usually very realistic when it comes to anything complex anyway!

Mama to Peanut (06/03), Pixie (05/05), Beast (09/07), and Baby Girl (11/09)
#6 of 26 Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I thought it was very badly done. I actually quite like Juno, and think that adoption is something that teenagers, uncoerced, will sometimes choose. Nor do I think that the baby daddy character (Puck) has done anything to demonstrate that he'd be a positive presence in the life of an infant.

But it was just all so EASY. It's like the writers couldn't even comprehend the notion that a birth mom might love her baby AND decide to give her baby up. And for crying out loud, in real life Quinn would have been in foster care, not staying in the house of her Magical Negro friend. It was just glib.
#7 of 26 Old 06-09-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
And for crying out loud, in real life Quinn would have been in foster care, not staying in the house of her Magical Negro friend. It was just glib.
Not necessarily... I knew a few kids in high school and still know a few that age (and these are two different areas of the country) who lived/live with friends. After 16 years old or so unless the parent makes a big deal about it/says something to the authorities, 1) who will find out? and 2) who really cares? Sad but true.

Mama to Peanut (06/03), Pixie (05/05), Beast (09/07), and Baby Girl (11/09)
#8 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM

Well, maybe so, but the idea that Mercedes (and her family) would step up to solve the problems of a Mean Girl who had been treating her like dirt until a couple of months ago - it was just a little too Bagger ***** for me. If Quinn had moved in with Courtney's family, or even stuck it out with Puck's family, that would have been more realistic IMO.
#9 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM

I know a ton of people who moved in with friends of the family for a while after running away or getting kicked out. As long as no one calls DHS, no one cares or knows.

I didn't get the impression that Quinn and Puck didn't know who adopted the baby- was that stated?

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#10 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissinNYC View Post
I know a ton of people who moved in with friends of the family for a while after running away or getting kicked out. As long as no one calls DHS, no one cares or knows.

I didn't get the impression that Quinn and Puck didn't know who adopted the baby- was that stated?
The lady who adopted the baby was standing right next to them while they were looking at the baby in the nursery, and Quinn asked "what are you doing here" and she completely avoided the question.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#11 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM

It was my take that she didn't go there to adopt the baby, she went to check things out and then decided, spur of the moment, to adopt (which is crazy, of course). I assumed some conversation happened where Quinn and Puck and Ms. Corcoran (Rachel's mom) talked about it and they relinquished rights. Maybe not so. It's silly to think she could adopt with no homestudy or anything, but a teen mom can just give the baby to someone she chooses and do a private adoption, they wouldn't have to go through the list of waiting families if they've identified a family already.

#12 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM

That reminds me - since Quinn basically never wavered in her adoption plan, where the hell was her agency representation? Where were the parents she was supposed to be able to pick out at her leisure, months earlier? This young lady had access to transportation, a desire to make an adoption plan, and the ability to use Google. She would have gotten herself enrolled with an agency. She loved the baby - she would have picked a family to welcome her with open arms.
#13 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM

I agree with all the points you are making with regard to Glee but you have to remember one thing... this is TV. It's make believe (and Glee is about as make believe as it gets). There are no pregnant teens watching this saying "oh, so that's what adoption is like, I'll do that". There are no prospective adoptive parents walking into hospitals to pick out their new baby from the nursery and shocked because it doesn't really work that way.

As someone else pointed out, adoption is way too complicated to put into a television show or even a movie. I liked Juno but there were aspects of the movie that still didn't sit right by me.

I can see books doing right by the adoption triad. Movies and TV, not a snowball's chance in hell.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#14 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are a couple of shows that, if i recall correctly seemed to do a pretty good job with adoption. One was Judging Amy which got cancelled ages ago. Amy's brother, a mild mannered guy, and his somewhat overbearing but well meaning wife plan an open adoption with a young woman. There are a couple possible fathers but not sure which is the one until she gives birth. The baby comes out and is AA which is a surprise to the PAPs but they are happy to adopt him. At some point the bmom comes back and says she wants to raise the child, and takes him away, but several episodes later she realizes she isnt equipped to parent him and asks the family to raise him, which they do. There was a moving episode in there somewhere where the amom has some post-adoption depression and says she can't raise the child (dont know if it was after the baby was returned to bmom and then offered back or what) and the dad says, well, he is my son, i want him, i'm choosing him. I'm his dad, and i'll raise him on my own if i have to. It was out of character of him to stand up to his wife, and yet he did so for the sake of his son.

Another show that i think did a somewhat quick/simplistic but fairly accurate portrayel was Brothers and Sisters. The character of Kitty and her dh decide to do a private domestic newborn adoption, and she goes through all the emotions of being nervous before the homestudy, of having to write a "dear bmom" letter etc. Its tv, so they were matched almost immediately. The bmom was a doctor doing a residency, very motivated...a good episode where Kitty cant wrap her mind around this successful woman wanting to place her baby, fears she will regret it, etc.....also, the baby and bmom are AA, and while its mentioned it isnt the focus. The adoption seemed to proceed w/o much drama (no reclaiming at the last moment for example)....

A couple of really horrid movies about adoption come to mind...one "The Baby Dance" with Stockard Channing. Omg. This older couple decides to adopt a baby, and are somehow matched (through a lawyer maybe? my memory is fuzzy) with this poor married mom of several kids, living in a trailer, somewhere in the south where its really hot. The potential Amom goes down there to meet her, and its all just so....ugh. Not ethical. And the bmom is planning on telling her kids the baby died at birth. And then the baby is born, and there is something potentially wrong with it, but the movie is very very vague about it, almost like there is just the potential for issues but no diagnosis or anything. And the PAPs just leave the bmom and baby at the hospital and say they cant do it and walk out with an empty carseat. And the bmom is stuck, she's already told her kids the baby died and cant support another baby anyway. So the baby is just left at the hospital and you're given the impression she will end up in an institution or orphanage or something. Right.

Another awful movie...well, i dunno, i guess i LIKED the movie but the PAPs were presented in a pretty awful light and the adoption program (i forget what country, somewhere in south america? central america? cant remember...) was oh gosh, i cant remember the name now...it was "Casa" something....but all these hopeful moms stay in this country for an extended period of time and you get insight into their motivation for adopting and a few of them are downright awful.

I remember an episode of a cancelled show "Windfall" i think was the name (about a bunch of people who win the lottery), in the final episode, one of the characters who has now left her husband (but is not divorced) decides to adopt a baby from China, and hops on a plane to go do that...so unrealistic. i realize its "just a tv show" but there should be SOME shred of realism ESP if its a drama.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#15 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissinNYC View Post
It was my take that she didn't go there to adopt the baby, she went to check things out and then decided, spur of the moment, to adopt (which is crazy, of course). I assumed some conversation happened where Quinn and Puck and Ms. Corcoran (Rachel's mom) talked about it and they relinquished rights. Maybe not so. It's silly to think she could adopt with no homestudy or anything, but a teen mom can just give the baby to someone she chooses and do a private adoption, they wouldn't have to go through the list of waiting families if they've identified a family already.
I also choose to assume that a conversation of this sort took place off-screen after the scene in which we saw the three of them looking through the nursery window.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#16 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Queenjane - I think I saw the end of Baby Dance just recently. It was on TV or something. I remember being very confused, wondering wth? Now I know I shouldn't try to watch the whole thing if I see it on TV again. Thanks!
#17 of 26 Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 AM

If you want to have bring up other absurd adoption portrayals, I recently checked out the most ridiculous novel from the library. The main character was a single pediatrician whose best friend and practice partner suddenly committed suicide while in the process of adopting a baby from China. The main character was at the friend's house tidying things up when there is a knock at the door - it is an adoption worker, with the baby who just arrived from China. Main character tells the worker that the friend is dead, so the worker goes ahead and LEAVES THE BABY with her. There was some vague mention of there normally needing to be homestudies, but the agency was willing to overlook it because, you know, she is a pediatrician and all. *barf*

So the single, childless lady has a baby dumped on her lap with no notice, and she doesn't even miss a day of work because it is all so easy. I couldn't even finish the book it was so awful, and can't remember the title.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#18 of 26 Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Casa de los babys. That's the movie where the PAPs have to live in the country before adopting their kids. I didn't watch all of it, just pieces. And I knew nothing about adoption back then. Can't remember my impression of it, just that they had this feeling of being stuck there and wondering when it would all end.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#19 of 26 Old 06-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
I agree with all the points you are making with regard to Glee but you have to remember one thing... this is TV. It's make believe (and Glee is about as make believe as it gets). There are no pregnant teens watching this saying "oh, so that's what adoption is like, I'll do that". There are no prospective adoptive parents walking into hospitals to pick out their new baby from the nursery and shocked because it doesn't really work that way.
Exactly. What's even more make believe is how they did their performance, Quinn goes into labor, they all rush to the hospital, she has her baby during Vocal Adrenaline's performance, and then they all make it back for the award ceremony.

Maybe there were way more than 3 performances and it took a lot longer, maybe she had a super-fast labor, maybe all kind of things we didn't see in the show. This is pure fantasy. The adoption by VA director was meant to be a surprise, they could not have done that if the adoption proceeded the "normal" way.
#20 of 26 Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 PM

I mean, this show is silly. It's also not realistic that orchestras come from nowhere to accompany singers, or that a woman could hide a fake pregnancy from her husband for months, or that a teacher could judge her own school's performance, or that a teacher could abuse kids the way Sue does and not be fired. The whole thing is silly and farcical. I am 100% against negative portrayals of adoption, but this is a glorified soap opera!

#21 of 26 Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 AM

Well the writing on Glee is really uneven and unrealistic, there's plenty of plotholes so I was bracing myself for the adoption storyline to be really bad. Part of the problem with the show is they have a huge cast, lots of storylines and they don't have the time to devote to every detail. And they have to fit in all the musical numbers too. Still I agree it was rather bizarre that we never see Quinn making an adoption plan of any sort. You have to wonder if she was still holding out on Teri or something of that nature. (and don't get me started on the Terin story line and how obnoxious and entitled she was towards Quinn as if Quinn was just a baby factory to her)

I really hated how Shelby Corcoan's character was portrayed how she wanted to have a relationship with Rachel, went to extreme, soap opera levels of subterfuge (get her star choir kid to switch schools, seduce Rachel, convince her to start searching for her birth mother) just to try and contact her and then once they meet she realizes she doesn't want to have a relationship with her teenage daughter, she wants to be a mother to a baby.

My guess is they needed to get rid of the Shelby character since Idina Menzel is a successful Broadway actress with other obligations besides the Glee and the cast is huge anyway. But I thought the whole execution of the storyline was awful.
#22 of 26 Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 AM

Glee fan here. And adoptive Mom too. I guess since the rest of Glee is amazingly unrealistic I did not have any standards for the adoption storyline.

Yes, the details were all wrong, but, it could work out. Here's how I imagined it all shook down...

Mrs Corcoran (Rachel's mom) has been a grieving birth mom for years. She hears Quinn is having her baby and goes to talk to her, maybe to tell her how hard it was for her. They get talking and Quinn says she wants to place the baby and would Mrs. Corcoran like to adopt? (Yes, you can do that, a private adoption where the bmom chooses the amom.) Puck agrees and Mrs. C talks to the appropriate people: SW and lawyer. A few days later Quinn is discharged and Baby goes with amom.

Not ideal, but it ties up loose ends in a 42-minute show.

It's not like they handle disability any more realistically or sensitively! But hey, it's Glee, lol

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#23 of 26 Old 06-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Banned

I allow Glee a lot of leeway in re. reality, but the adoption story line has bothered me. While Quinn was keeping her pregnancy secret, I can understand how she would be easily manipulated. But, Mr. Schuster knew, and he should have told Emma, who is, after all, the guidance counselor. Surely, Emma had a pamphlet somewhere with some phone numbers in it. Quinn really shouldn't have had to worry so much about doctor bills and finding a place to stay. If she flipped through a copy of Rolling Stone or read the classifieds in her local paper she probably could have found some ads offering help. Her doctor should have identified the situation and provided some information about support and services as soon as she decided not to seek an abortion.

It only bothers me because IMO, too many teenagers use what they see on TV to make decisions about their own lives, and I wish it was more clear that teen pregnancy does not mean that crazy people are going to manipulate and exploit you, and you will be powerless in their clutches. As a character, Quinn has a pretty substantial backbone. It really surprised me that she caved to Terri rather than running a google search.

ETA: I really thought the adoption storyline was over when Quinn's mom showed up and asked her to come home. I can see how having the baby around does not necessarily make for great TV, but I thought for sure that the writers would have Quinn keep her baby at that point. I think it says a lot about her character and her feelings towards her family that she chose to proceed with her adoption plan. I also assumed that the legal process took place off-screen. Having been through the process as a birth mom herself, I hope Ms. C will be more compassionate to Quinn than Rachel's dads were to her.
#24 of 26 Old 06-20-2010, 01:42 AM

To be fair, Glee does take an interesting, if not realistic, look at everyone involved in the adoption triad.

Remember, Rachel was adopted by dads and throughout this season has been struggling with wanting to meet her birth mom? And then the birth mom reaches out to Rachel through the fake boyfriend? Both seem to struggle with this new relationship? Then the birth mom goes on to adopt Quinn's baby?

I don't know that this is a realistic or positive portrayal of adoption, but it is interesting to see the character of Rachel struggling as a teenager with not knowing her birth mom.
#25 of 26 Old 06-20-2010, 04:41 AM

As much as I love Glee and am thoroughly entertained by the show, I think it is hardly the venue to show the nitty gritty of adoption or any semblance of reality, for that matter.
It is a show where they spontaneously break out in song and we have characters like Sue Sylvester or Brittany.
Were you seriously expecting an indepth portrayal of adoption? Really???
#26 of 26 Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrinton View Post
To be fair, Glee does take an interesting, if not realistic, look at everyone involved in the adoption triad.

Remember, Rachel was adopted by dads and throughout this season has been struggling with wanting to meet her birth mom? And then the birth mom reaches out to Rachel through the fake boyfriend? Both seem to struggle with this new relationship? Then the birth mom goes on to adopt Quinn's baby?

I don't know that this is a realistic or positive portrayal of adoption, but it is interesting to see the character of Rachel struggling as a teenager with not knowing her birth mom.
Actually Rachel wasn't adopted per se. I think the deal with her birth mother is that her fathers paid Shelby to be both egg donor/surrogate and then they both gave sperm samples (this was a joke in the first episode because Rachel didn't know which parent was her biological father except that one was black and the other was white) So in that situation Shelby would have one father on the birth certificate and the other would have adopted Rachel after shelby gave up parenting rights.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page