New here and have ?'s about Methadone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all Hello!
We're expecting a baby boy 11/24 and mom has been on Methadone for pain control for years so the baby will most likely have Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome which I have read tons about yet I still feel that I don't know enough. I am wondering if anyone has any real experience with this? What should we expect when he arrives?
Any long term issues? Mom said her last baby was in NICU for a week and came home on phenobarbitol but everything is fine with her little one now.
Sorry for jumping in with so many questions, but thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We had a foster daughter who was born positive for methadone and cocaine. The problem was that the hospital she was born in had NO experience with methadone babies... so they monitored the cocaine withdrawal and discharged her at 5 days old. What they didn't know is that the higher the methadone dose, the later the withdrawal can kick in--up to 3 weeks post-birth.

In our case, she went through withdrawal in our home--unmedicated.

The first 6months are difficult. There are withdrawal backlash episodes of crying inconsolably (like colic) for a few months intermittently. You DEFINITELY have to limit their exposure to stimulus--no "coo, coo, coo"ing in their face, limiting light, noise, etc. for several weeks or so. This, of course, delays their ability to take in stimulus for development. As a result, they're GOING to be behind--but should catch up quick.

I only had the one and we had her from 5 days old to 10mo. She's now 3yo (as of yesterday). She was also suspect for FAS because the mother was also a drinker. In our research, we found that many drug-using mothers who weren't necessarily alcoholics would try to soften the blow of coming down from their high with alcohol. But this child's mother DID happen to have an alcohol problem in general. And obviously the methadone helped her keep off of heroin, but not cocaine.

Our ffd is a bright kid. She has some language delays, but nothing severe. She gets speech therapy and some behavioral therapy (but I honest to God wonder if this is a matter of her current family's method of dealing with her).

Not sure if this helps...

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 10 Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM

My son had NAS (methadone/heroin), but he also has CP, so I don't know how much is connected. He was hospitalized for the abstinence for roughly 6 weeks after birth, but again, this was more than is typical because his birth Mom wasn't stable and didnt have a good home life to bring him to.
He is 2.5 and is a lovely charming happy guy. He is good tempered, sweet, and laughs a lot.
Best of luck.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#4 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 AM

Our 8mo was born addicted to methadone and suspected cocaine. He was born at 29 weeks (due to methadone? I dont know at all). He was in the NICU for about 6 weeks, but for prematurity. I felt that as a baby he is very cuddly (some say needy). He doesnt like to be put down much or be away from us. But, I have no idea whether this is a) due to drug exposure b) due to prematurity or c) just his personality. We wear him a lot in the Moby (the first few months especiallly) and this keeps him happy.
He is developmentally right on target. He is happy and healthy and totaslly attached to us. He is social and friendly. His drs are very happy with his development.

One thing to consider: We chose not to tell anyone that his birthmother was on methadone. It was one of the best decisions we made. THere is no reason for anyone to pre-judge your baby, or decide that any of his personality traits or idiosyncracies are due to his drug exposure. People should meet him as they do any baby. With no predudgement.
#5 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Our son was born addicted to Methadone (with probable other exposure to drugs in utero). He was born full term and then in the NICU for 7 weeks being given morphine to ease the withdraw process. He came from the hospital to us as a foster child and then was adopted two years later (only ever living in our home)

I can't say for sure what is drug related and what is family history related and what is just his temperament but here it is--

He is amazingly sweet and super smart, very in tune with music especially rhythm. He is charming and generally a mixture of sweet/shy when around people he doesn't know well.

He has Sensory Processing Disorder and a little less than a 40% speech delay. He has serious impulse control, possible Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Probable ADHD (in the process of seeking a diagnosis) and possible PDD-NOS. He hoards food and has aggression issues.

We see an Occupational therapist, a Speech therapist and a Behavioral therapist. We have also been through most of the evaluations that you can go through--Developmental Ped., IEP.

I think a lot of his problem come from the drug exposure, especially his sensory issues (and a lot of his other problems stem from the sensory problems). However birthmom and birthdad are long time drub abusers and are more than likely self medicating with drugs. This would suggest that whatever issues we see may be the same issues that his birthparents cover up with drug use. So I suppose there really is no way of knowing for sure.

Student and SAHM to 6 little people. Some by birth, some through adoptionheart-1.gif , some through foster care
#6 of 10 Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, great responses and exactly the type of info I was hoping for. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Mom is on 185mg which is on the high side I believe, so though I am hopeful he is among the small percentage who don't end up with NAS, I'm pretty sure he will.

Any info on what to expect as far as the NICU stay goes? Is it going to be difficult to see (him being upset/distressed) or will he be kept comfortable?

Thanks for all of your input!
#7 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 AM

My baby was born while I was taking methadone (85 mgs). She was born on 8/15, a little over a week ago, and she's still in the NICU. They told us at the outset that it may be about 3 weeks. It could be shorter though, because she's doing very well, and in fact it seems like the doctors jumped the gun a bit in estimating the severity of her condition or what her condition would be.

The whole NICU experience is not a good one, I'll just tell you right up front. It's just kind of hellish to not be able to go home with your baby. I'm kind of tired right now (about to go to bed) but if you have any specific questions or anything feel free to ask me here in the thread or in a PM. Good luck and God bless you!

caffix.gif
#8 of 10 Old 08-27-2010, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have a friendly aquaintance who has had 3 babies while taking pain pills. the twins didn't need to stay in the hospital very long, the other not at all, and she didn't report any unconsolable crying, but honestly she is an insensitive mom, she breastfed for only a little while, and feeds the kids crap (she doesn't know any better). the kids are developmentally behind mine at similar ages, but not enough to be called special needs or need therapy yet, and they are currently toddlers. this lady was a drug addict years before all this and had been clean for a few years, but actually takes the pills now because she was hit by a car going 55 mph while she was trying to rescue a dog- which broke nearly every bone in her body.

the mom's health and diet have a lot to do with how the baby fares. did anyone read the studies about choline in the diet preventing fetal alcohol syndrome? i'd suppose that a healthier placenta protects the baby more. if the mother also smokes cigarettes then the weaker placenta and lower oxygen levels during development will make the baby at higher risk for related alcohol and drug problems. it is so awesome that you are willing to take this on.
#9 of 10 Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 AM

good

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#10 of 10 Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverandJulie View Post

Our 8mo was born addicted to methadone and suspected cocaine. He was born at 29 weeks (due to methadone? I dont know at all). He was in the NICU for about 6 weeks, but for prematurity. I felt that as a baby he is very cuddly (some say needy). He doesnt like to be put down much or be away from us. But, I have no idea whether this is a) due to drug exposure b) due to prematurity or c) just his personality. We wear him a lot in the Moby (the first few months especiallly) and this keeps him happy.
He is developmentally right on target. He is happy and healthy and totaslly attached to us. He is social and friendly. His drs are very happy with his development.

One thing to consider: We chose not to tell anyone that his birthmother was on methadone. It was one of the best decisions we made. THere is no reason for anyone to pre-judge your baby, or decide that any of his personality traits or idiosyncracies are due to his drug exposure. People should meet him as they do any baby. With no predudgement .

There is no reason in the world that anyboby needs to no that your babys birth mother was a methadone user ,and believe  me people DO judge...a V. good friend of mine gave her baby up for adoption  his new mum n dad wasnt as wise as yourselfs and deceiced to tell everybody that  he was born addicted to methadone ..He now seems to always be bein  labelled for something (2yrs old)like ocd gte blah blah by their friends ...this makes the birth mother so sad ..as if nobody new i garentee he wouldnt get labelled at all...where as i obviously do not condone mothers getting pregant while on such a drug(all circumstances are diffrent i no i.e my friend was put on methadone due 2 back pain? ) the kid shouldnt get shit for it for the rest of there lives..i just wanted to congratulate you for making such a good decision and its just ashame theres not more people out there like yourselves willin to give a loving home to an innocent baby and giving him a fresh start  ..congrats x

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page