adopting a pet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else set out to adopt a pet and find that you have have some weird post adoption stress disorder?

We lost our dog in March and are really still grieving. But even though we are not ready for a new dog, I get this weird anxiety when I see a dog for adoption. I can't stop thinking "What if this is the dog that is meant to be in our family and I miss the chance?" Really more than just thinking about it, to the point where I get really emotional
#2 of 3 Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Im so sorry for your loss. I know that grief over pet loss can be powerful. I hope you find the strength to endure these emotions.

If it's really meant to be, you can't miss the opportunity. Try not to dwell on the dogs you can't yet rescue and just let yourself grieve and prepare for the dog you will be able to rescue.

I remember when we decided to adopt a dog I started scouring www.petfinder.com and visiting the local shelters. I even volunteered at a shelter and started getting attached to a deaf overweight Dalmatian. But we weren't ready for a dog. We still lived in a small apartment where dogs that size weren't allowed. I was so sad when I went into volunteer one day and Shadow was gone, she'd been adopted. But I feel like it was meant to be. The dog we later adopted is a better fit for our home and family. And I'm pretty sure Shadow got a good home.

Is this related to feelings about adopting a child? I'm just curious as to why it's in the adoption and foster parenting section rather than the pet section.
#3 of 3 Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post
Is this related to feelings about adopting a child? I'm just curious as to why it's in the adoption and foster parenting section rather than the pet section.
I will explain it more later, but I feel like I am reliving the waiting process and that is freaking me out But my adopted daughter also has a really complicated relationship with dogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page