FASD Support Group, Anyone? (cross posted in Special Needs) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-04-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so I’ve cross-posted to Adoption and Special Needs.

We adopted our 8 y.o. DS from Russia in ’03 when he was a year old. We noted then that he had some issues, particularly with food, but we attributed it to his first year in the hospital and orphanage.

However, as he has grown he has developed other issues that look a lot like ADHD. I homeschooled him last year because he was having a lot of trouble in the public school kindergarten and I just didn’t feel the environment was very sympathetic. He is a very friendly, outgoing child but has great difficulty focusing and, lately, retaining information.

I noticed he had some facial anomalies (smooth upper lip and lack of a distinct philtrum in particular) and at our latest visit to the pedi she confirmed that she saw signs too. So… I am just wrapping my head around this whole thing, and I am not necessarily convinced (is this denial??), and I am on the fence about getting a formal diagnosis from pediatric genetic program we have here.

I guess I am just wondering: is anyone else in the same boat? I would love to have a Mothering support group; I have joined some mainstream ones, but this is honestly the only place I’ve felt really comfortable, discussion-forum wise, and I know you all will give good advice, suggest awesome resources, and all of that. It would be cool to have a regular thread where we could feel supported.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What a great idea!  I hope you are able to find enough people to start a group.  Just for other information, there are some good websites online for FAS.  Look at Diane Malbin's site and also www.nofas.org.

Carol Lozierjoy.gif

Author of "The Adoptive & Foster Parents Guide: How to Heal Your Child's Trauma and Loss"

Find more information and support at www.forever-families.com

#3 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks! I have been reading QUITE a lot and there are some very good resources out there. I have also joined several discussion groups. I had just hoped to find some Mothering people to form a group with. I like the way you guys think and handle issues. I don't want to do the mainstream thing if I can avoid it luxlove.gif

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page