safe phone numbers for RU efforts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another thread... this one re. practicalities. Has anyone ever had phone contact with a birth parent who they don't trust? Our birth parent has swindled many, so I'm loathe to hand out our phone numbers (cell or home). We've been warned to withhold address and phone numbers. Because she's in jail and unable to pay for her own phone, I cannot call her with caller ID blocked. Has anyone successfully navigated these waters? The judge has strongly encouraged phone contact (still awaiting TPR notice) and I honestly think it might be worth a try for dfs' mental well being. I'm worried that she will eventually track us down using our phone numbers if we give her that. I'm also concerned about harassment if we hand her our phones that are on all the time. Is it possible to get a cell that receives calls but will not provide any other personal information?

Cheers!

Mama to Ru cutie (a. age 3, fall 2006) and foster to adopt  wonder-child (arrived a. 3,  2010) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Can you just get a prepaid "disposable" cell phone that you can use only to call her/receive calls from her with no contract or identifying information.  You can get them at Target/Walmart/CVS, etc.

#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Maybe you can do it from the social worker's office? To me, that's even better, because you have a witness to your efforts to provide phone contact. 

#4 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM

I think you could probably set up a Google voice account (for free).

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im not sure what a Google voice account is, so will need more info on that one. Re. the social worker's offI had that thought in the summer when this was previously near happening.  Now I'm aware that they're way overwhelmed with caseloads in general and more pressing situations than ours. Even if I could use an office phone, I would feel very irritated over having to make the time to make the appointment and drive over there, not to mention overinflating the importance of birth mom. Ill check into Google and "disposable" phones. Thanks! 

Mama to Ru cutie (a. age 3, fall 2006) and foster to adopt  wonder-child (arrived a. 3,  2010) 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page