Inducing lactation for soon to be adopted newborn - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tonight, we find out if we will start the process for adopting an infant.This is a private open adoption through friends.Baby is 2 weeks old. Can anyone give me practicla advise on inducing laction as naturally as possible?

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#2 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations.

Go to http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.shtml scroll down to induced lactation. There is infor there. Also go to the forums and there is a section specifically on naturally induced lactation.

Call the local hospital to rent a hospital grade breast pump. In my town that's $35 a month. Start pumping every two hours during the day and maybe even once or twice at night. You probably won't get anything for a few weeks, but you need to start NOW!!!!!

Buy yourself a supplementer. Most adoptive nursing moms like the lactaid. http://www.lact-aid.com/

Get some donor milk. http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/  You will need it to start with and may need it for the first year of life. 

I am still nursing my 2.5 year old adopted daughter. (I take my last domperidone on Wed.) I pumped for 11 months before my daughter was born. (I was still nursing my bioson.) I lost most of my frozen milk in a freezer accident, but was still able to get her to 5 months on just my fresh milk and remaining frozen milk. At 5 months I added in donor milk (I would use the supplementer when she was clearly not getting any more milk from me.) At one year I switched from donor milk to cow's milk. She still uses the supplementer with milk for sleep.

After my son was born I donated milk to an adopted baby. That mom could not make milk, but she did nurse both children. They exclusively got breastmilk (donated) the first year of life. She would use the donor milk in the supplementer and nurse them at breast.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Adoptive nursing is a bit of work, and can be expensive (though you don't have to buy formula,) but it is so well worth it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 17 Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 AM

My advice is to get some domperidone and a breast pump.  I tried to do it as natural as possible at first (just pumping, then lots of herbs and pumping), but nothing worked at all until I got the domperidone.  It is amazing stuff, and I had no side effects except possibly a little weight gain.

#4 of 17 Old 03-07-2011, 01:45 PM

I have been taking domperidone for over 2.5 years and have had no problems. Well, when I was taking 160 mg I would fall asleep if I wasn't doing anything even though I was never tired. I would just fall asleep. I also used Motherlove's More Milk Special Blend alcohol free liquid. Tastes like burnt maple syrup so I put it under my tongue then drank water. 

I am so excited to be taking my very last dom tomorrow. 2.5 years of three times a day medicine is a lot.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 17 Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Where do you all get your domperidone?  

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 17 Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM

I always got mine from Canada. For me, it worked better than the other stuff. You have to have a prescription. They'll have you fax it to them. Delivery can take awhile. http://www.medisave.ca/DrugMoreInfo2416.aspx

Here is more ordering info. You can buy it without a prescription and its a bit cheaper than Canada. I just didn't think it worked as well for me, but others have sworn by it. http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/buydomonline.shtml

Make sure you read all the information on domperidone here http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/gn_protocols.shtml

They think the way domperidone works is it acts like a prolactin substitute. It sure increased my supply.

BTW, even though I was on 160mg a day, that is not normal. I think normal is 90mg, but check the second link above to verify. 160 mg is the absolute top limit.

#7 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for you advice. It looks the baby will be moving in any time. Should find out today!

#8 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM

Good luck and keep us informed. Please feel free to pm with any questions.

#9 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Baby is coming home on Sunday! 

WifeMomChiro likes this.

#10 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 PM

Wow. That's great.

#11 of 17 Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Congrats on the new baby!  I placed two kids for adoption as babies and both moms were able to breastfeed them.  One seemed to have a much easier time of it than the other, but they both were successful.  I think it's wonderful that you are going to try it.  Best of luck to all of you. :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#12 of 17 Old 03-12-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

SO how is this for an update. I have been pumping for less then 24 hours, and my left side is already producing tiny amounts of milk. I guess with all the short term prg I have had, that things were ready to go at a moments notice.  Threw me for loop when I noticed it! The fastest I had ever read, was 11 days for the lucky few!

#13 of 17 Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Wow, that's great.

Have you been able to get a supply of breastmilk to use until you get a good supply?

#14 of 17 Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM

I have a question for all you moms taking domperidone.  I've been using the Newman protocals mentioned at askelenor for a few months and am supposed to be taking the dom 4 times a day (80mgs total.)  Problem is I keep forgetting so I was wondering if it would be okay to take 30mgs 3 times per day instead??  Also I thought the comment about falling asleep was funny, because I've totally been doing that and didn't realize that's why!!  To the OP I hope all is going well and congrats on the new adoptive baby!!!!

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

#15 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvenchrst View Post

I have a question for all you moms taking domperidone.  I've been using the Newman protocals mentioned at askelenor for a few months and am supposed to be taking the dom 4 times a day (80mgs total.)  Problem is I keep forgetting so I was wondering if it would be okay to take 30mgs 3 times per day instead??  Also I thought the comment about falling asleep was funny, because I've totally been doing that and didn't realize that's why!!  To the OP I hope all is going well and congrats on the new adoptive baby!!!!

I took the dom 3 times a day. Since I was up to 160 mg, I took 5 in the morning and before bed and 6 in the afternoon. When I was weaning, I ended up at 3 three times a day. I asked about it and was told 3 three times a day were fine.

#16 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

I read that taking 30, 3 times a day was just as good.  That's what I plan on doing when I get my shipment from Canada.

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

#17 of 17 Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks SO much for your input!

Ashley, Jesus loving mama to Jaden (8) Trace (6) and Liam (3) and fost/adopt twins Talia and Oliva (1).  Happily married for a decade! 

Tags
Adoption Crossroads , Adoption Update , Adoption Nation

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page