Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Delete

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#4 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The recent foster parenting introductory seminar I was at spoon-fed us an answer that our local area wanted to hear on the question -

They wanted to hear that we like being parents/parenting

That we want to make a difference in society

That we "consider raising children one of the most important jobs in the world"

And that we "believe fostering will be personaly rewarding to my family because..."

I think that maybe one example from your life as to why you are interested (pick one, you have many!), and touching on the points above would be more than adequate.

Tjej

ETA: Boy, I sound cold in the above.  I should say that I totally get what you mean about not knowing what to say because you have so much to say about it.  I am that way too.  So I found it helpful that it was pared down and straightforward in that format.  HTH.

#5 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that helps so much. (And I didn't think you sounded that cold!) I like knowing what "they" would like to hear, otherwise I just keep rambling, hoping I'll eventually say something they like but increasing the odds of putting my foot in my mouth.  lol.gif

#6 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 02:04 PM

I think it is good to start with the generic answers that "they" theoretically like to hear and then to end with a small bit of personal reason.  For instance, in our homestudy, we gave the obvious "we want to help the vulnerable kids of our community, we love being parents, ect" first.  Then we mentioned that one of my closest friends was raised by foster parents for 14 years of her childhood and want to help kids like her. Also that we have room in our hearts for more children.  It was all honest truth of course, but I think if you tone down the extent of the personal reasons behind your desire to foster it helps you seem more "together" and "ideal".  The truth is, Fostering is not easy on emotionally fragile parents so using overly emotional answers probably isn't wise.  

Just my thoughts.  

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

#7 of 9 Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I don't think it matters much what you say as long as you emphasize that you want to help a child through a traumatic situation and support the child's reunification with his/her parents if appropriate.

#8 of 9 Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 PM

In all honesty, I would lose the "In my early 20's I struggled to find the right job, the right career but everything felt so empty and pointless (do I sound really depressed here?)."  That makes you sound like you just figure you have nothing better to do than foster (which sadly, there ARE some people out there like that, actually.)  I know you mean to say that you think you will be finally fulfilled by fostering (though again, in honesty, probably not something you want to put there, it sounds a little desparate on paper).

I would say something like "Now I have the resources and time available to finally give back to my community how I've always wanted to--through fostering" or something like that.  Turn it into a positive, open, freely given contribution rather than "well, I thought everything else sucked, so here I am."  Does that make sense?

#9 of 9 Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

lol.gif That makes total sense and the reason I posted here. Thanks! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page