a small celebration - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With all the difficulties we have had with our newest baby girl, it has been easy for me to overlook the fun things I daydreamed about during the long wait for her to come home.

One of the big ones for me was a baby party. Even though she is my 3rd child, I never had a baby shower or welcome home party for my other children. I never felt celebrated as a mother, or had a celebration for our children joining our family. That is partially because I have a crappy family, but that is another story! LOL! So, since I never had that experience in the past and I knew this would be our last baby, I really wanted the experience of family and friends coming together to celebrate her homecoming.

My best friend has been fantastic, and together we planned a welcome home baby party, and it is tomorrow. I am actually really excited!

I feel like the wait for this little one to join our family was so long and so hard for me. It took me a while to wrap my head around the true picture of what our family is now since I was expecting an African American baby boy and our dd is a very caucasian baby girl. The empathy and sadness I felt for her birthmother were really intense, and I didn't anticipate the force of those emotions at all. Then when dd came home I was blindsided by the difficulties with her crying and development that I have felt totally out of sorts. I have pretty much come around now and have accepted that she is who she is. Yes she is an extremely high needs baby, yes she probably had some (hopefully minor) developmental/and or health issues.... but she can also be one of the most charming little babies I have ever seen. She is absolutely adorable and has the cutest smile! She has tons of personality in that loud little package, but  most importantly, she is MINE. And, tomorrow is all about celebrating that and celebrating her.

Thanks for listening!

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-28-2011, 01:37 AM

Congratulations! I am so happy that you will be able to have a party!

I think this is a wonderful idea. If there comes a day that another little one joins our family, I hope to have the energy and money to throw a big party after some time. I think something like that can be a wonderful way of moving on to a new phase in life.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#3 of 10 Old 05-28-2011, 01:34 PM

I am so happy for you and for your three girls :)  They have a great mom YOU deserve to have the best party ever!

#4 of 10 Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM

I hope it was a wonderful day! I have read your other thread about the concerns you have about your baby, and am so happy for you that you are getting to enjoy some of the fun things with her, too!
#5 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

That's terrific.

#6 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

The party went well, though the weather didn't exactly cooperate much. It was supposed to be 80 and cloudy with rain after 3 pm but really it was drizzling and 60 with thunderstorms at 3! So, I think because of that some people didn't come. It was small to begin with and we had about 30 people come. Either way, it was really nice to have the party. Even going through the motions of decorating and moving tables (it was at a park with a shelter) was very therapeutic for me. Z graced everyone with her smiles and cute little baby  noises before she fell asleep for half the party! LOL!

I feel like having this party helped me celebrate the joy she has brought into our lives and when she is older hopefully it will be a marker of sorts to let her know she was very much wanted and celebrated.

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#7 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM

Congrats on the party and sounds like it was wanted/needed.

I had offers of a baby shower when we got Miss M, but I was so scared that something was going to go wrong I kind of shunned all offers and still kinda regret it.

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

#8 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 PM

Congratulations!  The party sounds like it was a great idea, and I'm glad you had that extra fuss made of you and your little one.  You deserve it!

...and sheesh!  When is 30 people a small gathering?! ;)  That'd be pretty darn big in my world! :D 

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#9 of 10 Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post

Congratulations!  The party sounds like it was a great idea, and I'm glad you had that extra fuss made of you and your little one.  You deserve it!

...and sheesh!  When is 30 people a small gathering?! ;)  That'd be pretty darn big in my world! :D 

lol! About half of those 30 were kids :) Not that they don't count, but that they were out having fun playing at the park!

#10 of 10 Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Congrats! I'm so happy that you could have a wonderful celebration of your baby.

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page