Just starting this jouney - a few questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#3 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 06:16 AM

I would change the subject line to read that you are interested in knowing more about fost-adopt. I read your post, but we didn't go this route, so I can't help much. Also, this forum is pretty small, I think.

I would say that because the U.S. foster care system is so different from state to state, the best information you will get will be from folks in your county and state. Going to the info meeting is a good first step, as is talking to as many folks as you can find who have worked with your local jurisdiction. 

#4 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I don't have a lot of time right now, but I've been a licensed foster parent for five years and have adopted two of my foster children. I'll try and come back later as well as send a PM to my MDC foster parent friends if they don't see this while I'm gone. I would also suggest that you join the message boards at fosterparents.com. I don't go there for crunchiness but it's a great place to go when you need a reality check or a hug from someone who's "been there." This is my favorite board, though.

#5 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 AM

I think it's a great idea! Go to the meeting, take notes, listen, ask questions. You should learn enough to know whether or not you want to continue. I'm at the same place you are (just went to an info meeting a couple weeks ago) so don't really have any advice to offer except to READ everything you can find on the topic; forums, blogs, articles etc. It will open your eyes to both the good and the bad. 

I was visiting my nephew when he was in the hospital last winter (a UTI, he's fine now) and yes, I spent time near a little itty bitty preemie who spent her days and nights all alone. The other parents in the room would buzz for a nurse when she needed assistance/was choking etc (and she was hooked up to monitors). The nurses would sit with her, volunteers would hold her for a half hour once or twice a day but it just wasn't the same. My heart broke for that poor baby. So I know what you're talking about. 

We're not looking specifically for babies, just kids 4 and under. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#6 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page