Mothering Forum banner

Starting the foster care process, and already starting to nest!

895 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  christophersmom 
#1 ·
DH and I have just completed our first foster licensing class. (9 more to go -- woo hoo!)

It's going to be a long road, but I cannot get it off my mind. I'm stressing about the fact that we want to adopt as well as foster along the way, that we want a baby, that any babies we get will more than likely be drug-exposed (unless we can agree to sibling groups, which I'm not sure we can), etc.

I'm focusing on nesting a little as a "fun" interlude to avoid thinking about all the unknowns. I do not (yet) know a lot about drug exposed infants other than the withdrawal can be HORRIBLE. Then the instructor mentioned that teething can be super tough on them too. I was thinking that by the time they are teething, they are done with withdrawal symptoms, but apparently I'm wrong....

So in addition to any recs as to what to expect (if you have experience with this), I'm wondering what I can do to help the babies be more comfortable? I'm assuming swaddling will be in order, and possibly babywearing if it helps. When the instructor mentioned teething, I immediately thought of amber necklace/anklet... What else? I try to be as natural in my child rearing as possible, but also want to avoid as much chemical exposure to these fragile little ones as possible. Any ideas? And specific recs for a good but super soft sling/wrap?

See less See more
#3 ·
I dont have any experience with drug exposure...the first baby i fostered (then adopted) was three weeks old and totally healthy, no exposure that we know of. The second foster child was already nearly a year old, so i dont know if she had exposure issues. My next foster son did not have any drug exposure either. So my experience is limited!!!

Its fun (and nerve wracking!) waiting for the first placement! i couldnt believe it when they called me with a BABY, that first fostering experience was pretty atypical, no visits, no bmom contact at all, then TPR just before he turned four months old.

#4 ·
Wow, that's wonderful! It's so great to hear positive stories like that, rare as they are. Given our area, and everything we're hearing from the agencies, there just aren't non-drug babies especially in foster. We have a local private infant adoption program, and even they have very few birth families with no drug issues.

DS was drug-exposed, but by the time he came home at 4.5 months, he was finished with whatever withdrawal he may have had. Since I've never done the newborn thing, and never done the withdrawal support either, this will be quite a ride! And I know I'll feel terrible for these little things (I can't stand to hear a baby cry) so I want to be prepared with whatever I can in advance to help them feel better.

#5 ·
We were open to 3 years old or under so we were limited in the amount we could prepare ahead of time. I did the room very simply, earthy tones and wood, I wanted a calm and soothing place since the rest of our house is pretty stimulating. I found a sling and a carrier, sheets, a rocking chair, etc.

We ended up being matched with a 25 month old, healthy and amazing daughter. We use the rocker a lot, and we hang out in her room for a while when she's getting overtired and needs a break. She's been with us since June, it will be a while before it's finalized.

Good luck in your search!

#6 ·
My first little girl was not drug exposed. We had said boy/girl 0-5 so we didn't prepare the room. She was a transfer since her case was moving to adoption and the other family couldn't afford to adopt at the time, so we had three days to prepare for her arrival, bought a crib, had a dresser.

Our second was mildly exposed, no withdrawal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.