simple question, how much does it cost - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

to do a private adoption via an adgency.  to be matched with an expectant mom that is making an adoption plan?

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#2 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Aimee it depends. If you go thru a nonprofit agency that uses a sliding scale fee based on income, your costs could be quite low (if you have a modest income)...if you use an different agency, you could pay 40K+...i know people who found a mom who didnt need any expenses paid, in an already-born baby situation, they just needed their lawyer to handle every thing and the costs were minimal, under 5K. And everything in between. I think the average is probably $15-30K. (But im no expert on private adoption.)

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#3 of 11 Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Our agency does a sliding fee based on income (not race-which many agencies do and that really bothers me) and ours cost $16,000.  Do your research they vary GREATLY!  Also if our match fell through we won't lose any money as we wait for another match.   There is also an adoption tax credit.

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#4 of 11 Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM

It really does vary quite a bit depending on several factors. 

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

#5 of 11 Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but do most agencies expect all the money upfront? And if you are never matched, I'm assuming there is no refund of sorts? Also, lawyer/legal costs are probably additional, right? And those (legal fees) aren't expenses that would occur until you are chosen and adoption is imminent, I'm thinking.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 11 Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 PM

With our agency, you had a small deposit (2K in our case) and the remainder was due at time of match.  All of those fees would roll over to the next match if our match fell through (this is part of why we chose our agency).  Fortunately, we did not have a failed match.

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

#7 of 11 Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks so much! Good to know how your agency worked.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 11 Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM

I would personally not sign on with an agency that did not roll all money into the next match.  You only had to pay for your homestudy, training and a $1,000 fee at first and then once the baby was in your home and the parental rights were terminated did you have to pay the rest of the fee.

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#9 of 11 Old 11-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Adoptive Families magazine does a survey every year. The data is interesting and useful. Check out the latest: http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/articles.php?aid=2157
#10 of 11 Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone!!! :)

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#11 of 11 Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 PM

I did a private adoption for just under $10,000 BUT everything went amazingly right for us.  It was about as cheap and easy as we could have done it.

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page