Talking About Birth Fathers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

As I posted yesterday, we're going to have a visit with DD's birth father tomorrow. She doesn't know him or really care how babies are made (she'll be five this winter) so I'm having trouble explaining what a "birth father" is. Birth mothers are easy. We know DS's birth mother, they know my mother, and know lots of women who have babies. But, father's are obviously different. How do I explain who this man Is?

#2 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not sure how to explain, but the birthfather issue is a constant source of...well i wont say "stress" but its difficult here. D had a close loving relationship with his bdad (but not so much his bmom) and talks about him constantly. K has an unknown father but in order to keep up with D has started just making up random stuff ("my daddy's name is....is...uh...Lion King!!")...D also just makes up stuff that can't possibly be true and since the last he lived in his bdad's house was when he was 16 months old i doubt he can remember "in my daddy's house there was a green cat! my daddy took me to disney world! my daddy has an elephant in his backyard!" I think this would all be different if we actually had a real daddy in our house they could transfer those emotions and "daddy thoughts" to...because neither of them ever talk about their 'other mommy'.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#3 of 6 Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

It's all weird, isn't it. There's no Daddy in my house either. The kids only ever bring up Chris's birth mother (because we see her sometimes) but they don't really get who she is, either. But they know that DS (and his sisters) were in her belly (or her body.) They never bring up DS's birth father or DD's birth mother.

#4 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

I decided that I'm not going to refer to him as her birth father right now. She isn't ready to get it yet. So, when we talk about seeing him, we'll use his first name like we do anyone else.

I still have to figure out how to talk with DS about his birth father. There are major mental health issues and I'm not sure how to talk about that with him. It's unlikely that DS will ever meet his birth father.

#5 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree that birthfather is a hard topic!  Dd's birthparents were married at on point, so that made the topic a little easier for little ones to get their head around.  But it was a very bad marriage, so I am confused about even how to talk about that...

#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With us, we have daddy and mommy in the house. With Miss M, we don't have any information on her birth father, so will likely never be able to answer any questions. With baby D it is likely (at this moment) that she will have contact with her bio-dad, so there probably won't be many questions.

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page