Inducing Lactation: Help Needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 33 and have a 14 yr old son (natural birth) who I BF for only a couple months (something I regret now).  Recently I found out I can no longer have a child of my own and I am in the process of looking to adopt and just starting research now.  I do not have the ability to do the protocol which includes the BCP for 6 months due to health risks.

I all the research I have done I dont see many stories on how long I can expect it to take to re lactate with massage and pumping.  I do have a full time job so every two hours is not possible.  I do it approx 3-4 times a day and my breasts have changed after just a week and I have a constant feeling in them that things are changing.  (tingling or heightend awareness) 

Can anyone comment on the following: 

How long will it take (in your experience) to produce any milk at all.

Has anyone achieved this with only stimulation and pumping? 

Do you have any tips for full time working mothers trying to re lactate? 

Are there any books on this? 

What are some helpful resources?

Where can I get the dom drug?

Any help is so desired. 

#2 of 4 Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

www.asklenore.info There are forums to ask moms experienced in induced lactation. There are links on where to get dom. I got mine from Canada, though there are south seas resources as well.

I read this book. http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Adopted-Relactation-League-International/dp/0976896974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323494929&sr=8-1 It's been so long since I read it that I remember little in it.

I also read this book http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Mothers-Guide-Making-More/dp/007159857X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323495086&sr=8-4 Again, it's been a long time so I don't remember what it said.

I was in a very different position than you are. I was actively nursing my bio-son when we decided to adopt. I pumped for 11 months to try and keep up my milk supply. Ultimately I needed a couple ounces a day of supplemental frozen milk to meet her needs. I used a supplementer. Actually, still do. She's over 3. I don't think I make any milk, but she still nurses. At sleep times she uses her "Night Night," the supplementer with either coconut or almond milk in it.

I took domperidone 160 mg (then was able to decrease to 120mg.) Also, Motherlove's More Milk Special Blend helped. I got the liquid alcohol free. It tastes awful so I used a syringe to measure it out and put it under my tongue.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to help with.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 4 Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 PM

I used a rented hospital grade breast pump and drank Mother's Milk herbal tea (Traditional Medicinals) no other drugs. I started about 6 months before the expected due date for our twins. (We had an egg donor and a gestational surrogate, not the same person) I was several years post-menopausal so wasn't sure if it was even possible until I read about a woman in her 80s who still worked as a wet nurse. Yes it worked for us, too.

Since it is frequency rather than the length of time each session perhaps you could pump more frequently but for only a few minutes each time when you are home. I understand about not being able to do it at work. Stay well hydrated.

I wish you all the best.

#4 of 4 Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 PM

I had to have domperidone to induce lactation.  When I ran out of domperidone, I ran out of milk.  I breastfed my bio-dd for 3.5 years with no issue, but I have not been able to get a full supply for my adopted son.  I don't mean to sound negative, but I worked really hard for what milk I've got for my son and I am very happy for that.

Wife to my DH for 10 wonderful years.joy.gif

Mom to L (5 yo DD) and J (infant DS)  adoptionheart-1.gif

Chiropractor to many.  novaxnocirc.gif

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page