I thought I'd covered everything... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have 5 other kids, so CC coming to join us ws, I thought, going to be a snack!

I forgot that you can take the girl out of the jungle....

(we adopted her from/in Papua New Guinea.. she was quite literally born and raised in the remote jungle)

So this morning, she comes running upstairs crying.. scratching herself and breaking out before my eyes in red welts.

Turns out she needed to go potty and used the staff toilet.. where there was no toilet paper.

So she did what she used to do.. ran outside and used a leaf.

Seems we're having a reaction to said leaf!

Have spent all morning smearing cream on a very red and itchy botty, and picking thorns out of her hands.

**sigh**!!

#2 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 AM

Oh no!  Poor thing.  How uncomfortable.  I hope her recovery is quick.  

tea6.gifMommy to reading.gifDD(15), loveeyes.gifDD(13), blahblah.gifDD(9),  bouncy.gifDS(4), jog.gifDS(3), babyf.gifDD(1), and foster mommy to baby.gif DD  homeschool.gif

#3 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Oh no!  Hope she heals quick!!!  Make sure the staff stocks TP from now on to avoid this I guess!!!

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 AM

How absolutely awful! I suppose you've already begun treatment, but know that the quickest way to reduce a poisen ivy break out is a cold shower with a simple soap. Jewel weed and the like have no proven reduction. Technu Wash sometimes helps, but I place my bets with a cold shower every time. Be sure to wash  all cloths well and anything else she likely touched. The plant oils are what causes reinfection, not the pus despite what myths say. If it gets into any orifices, bring her to the doctor to prevent a systemic reaction. I used to live where poisin ivy was unavoidable, so I've done my research and speak from first person experience. 

Mama to Ru cutie (a. age 3, fall 2006) and foster to adopt  wonder-child (arrived a. 3,  2010) 

#5 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Poor dear!  I've heard amazing things about Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap.  I hope she's on the mend soon!

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#6 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Poor girl, I can't imagine. Well, I can, I "hid" in a poison oak bush during hide and seek one time. I was miserable. I didn't wipe though, ouch!

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page