Be honest - is adoption even an option for us? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I have been trying to get pregnant for two years with no success and I'm starting to consider adoption, however...I'm pretty sure we would never pass a homestudy because of our unconventional living situation. We're RVers because DH's job requires travel to the point where it's either I don't see him for most of the year or we live on the road and I go with him. Our 5th Wheel is nice and newer and has a (very small) bunk room in the back in addition to the master bedroom, and we know LOTS of people in DH's line of work who live on the road with young kids so we see it as totally do-able, however I really doubt someone conducting a homestudy will see it as adequate. 

DH getting another job is not an option, he's been looking for three years for something in his field that doesn't require this kind of travel and come up empty, and the pay cut of changing to another field would make us unable to afford to adopt anyway, so our life is what it is. (I have a small mobile home-based business but it doesn't bring in a quarter of what his job does, his pays for the bills and mine is basically our "play" money.) 

So be honest, is adoption something I shouldn't waste my time on because we'd never qualify? Or are people more flexible about housing than I'm assuming they are? I will also add we do not have any children yet and would be looking to adopt a newborn most likely through independent adoption, but I'm also aware that independent adoptions still require homestudies. I just don't want to waste my time pursuing it as an option if it's not realistic, I've had too much heartache not being able to conceive to let myself get worked up about adoption only to have that be a dead end as well. Thanks.

angel.gif 6/07  angel.gif 5/13  angel.gif 9/13

Still trying for our rainbow1284.gif.

#2 of 2 Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd say figure out where "home" is for you, probably where you file your taxes? Then call certifying agencies there and ask.

We did an independent adoption. We were certified by an agency that does not do placements. They also did our post-placement visits. Then we had to find our own baby. I'm sure there are expectant moms who would love your lifestyle. So just start calling agencies. Be upfront. You never know.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page