The Wait ... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The only news I have is that they are looking for a perm plan for her. They are starting a home study on me tomorrow ( should have been last week but did not happen because the worker forgot !!!!)

They also told me that to be warned that I might not get the adoption. I was worried after that as we are so attached to her.
I worry because since this was so fast in happening, I quit my job to stay home with her and after the E.I ran out I had to go on social assistance . I am looking again for work because this Saturday she will be ! OMG ALREADY !! Does anyone on here know how this will effect the home study ? I don't even have faith in them , like really they can forget a meeting like that and answer there phone and be like oh sorry I forgot !! This whole year has been nothing but ups and many many downs, I do not know how many more downs I can take. I have done nothing but given and given to the bio parents only to have them come back non stop wanting more and if I do not do what they want they say that they will have her removed . This last time and this is why it is so hard now I did not allow that to scare me and I just said have at her do what you need to do and way to go for looking out for the best interest of your child.

Again today I got a call and they have decided to put off doing the social background of me (home study) as they have to do the DNA test fist. So now it should be put off for a few weeks.

How do people deal with so much up's and downs in there lives like this ? I find it so unsettling .

#32 of 39 Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Congratulations, Elsie! That's quite a way to start off! Sink or swim indeed!

I don't know how people deal with all the uncertainty, babymouse. I certainly don't deal with it well, and I've never had the credible prospect of an adoption in front of me. 

My little guy's situation is still up in the air. He might go home, might come here, might continue in his current placement... so I'm waiting. 

#33 of 39 Old 04-18-2012, 03:33 PM

I need to run some things by you great people! So with my new placement, no one informed me, or knew how about this issue im having with my little guy. I enrolled the boys in school last week, they went to school 2 days then the weekend, then they started fresh this week. When he got here i noticed his speech as far as full sentances and proper work placement is totally off, sentances such as , when is we gunna be here, where are your car at, and i have learned to read between the lines and put it all together to make sence of it all. Now that he has started school it has only become worse, he cant hardly write, spell, count, or he will use the excuse ,"Oh i forgot!" Hes in second grade and will be in 3rd next year, i am very concerned about this and my social worker has been MIA and the school seems to think nothings wrong. When i try to help him or correct him his brother chimes in and makes fun of him so now when we do homework i have seperated them in different rooms as to not give the older one the opportunity to make fun. I am very concerned about his future and not sure what to do at this point, im not a teacher nor does he really want to listen to me. My husband and I have tried to really emphasize reading and quiet time before bed when we read to them or give them a opportunity to read to us, which has been a good thing but then again his brother pokes fun when he messes up. I was just wondering if anyone has had any similar situations or any advice!

#34 of 39 Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can ask the school for help until youre blue in the face and they will keep putting you off until you put your request in writing. When my daughter moved in at age 8, i knew something was really wrong. The teacher had a display of all the third grade students' stories (they all had the same thing, some story where they were given the first line and then wrote a few paragraphs on their own)....some students had perfect handwriting, others more messy, some were real writers, others just the basics...i could see there was a whole spectrum of writing abilities (both the actual mechanics of handwriting and also grammer, oh and also writing in terms of putting together an interesting fun colorful story)...and then there was DD's sample. I nearly started to cry because i KNEW which one was hers, of the 25+ plus ones posted...just by looking at it, i didnt have to look for her name. I just knew. It was nearly impossible to read it or make out what she was trying to say. CLEARLY something was wrong. I had asked and asked for an IEP...but it was only until i put it in writing that they acted. BY LAW they have to respond to you within a certain number of days or weeks (i forget)...once i made the request they assembled a "pre-IEP meeting" with both teachers, the school psychologist, social worker, speech therapist etc. The psychologist tried to pawn off her issues on changing schools so many times, being a foster kids, etc...he said "its not like we can just give her a test and determine there is a disability"....well lo and behold, he DID give her several tests, and she scored below her peers in all areas. He said the scores indicated a learning disability and they approved her to be pulled out to the resource room for extra help about six hours a week. The next year (which is this year) they (without me asking) bumped her up to full time resource room (the spec ed room) for ALL of the language arts curriculum. Currently they seem to not believe me when i say that she has a real math issue, so i have to decide to fight them on that or let it lay for now. Her writing and spelling abilities have improved A LOT. This year, there was the same sort of thing, writing samples on the wall, and hers wasnt too bad at all! Certainly didnt stand out as being so different from the others. So thats really great.

Sorry...that was really long. Um...how old is FS? when my daughter came, she mispronounced so much stuff, but much of that changed just by being in our family. She still has a very difficult time pronouncing certain words (fruit, freckles, world....) but doesnt need speech therapy any more.

If your gut is telling you this isnt just that he's a little behind but that he really needs help you are going to have to turn into one of those bitchy mom advocates winky.gif . You will very likely have to have the caseworker sign off on stuff like IEPs and she may even need to be there with you. I dunno, our placement was foster but with the sole plan of adoption and the agency let me handle everything, but the school did require that i have the agency sign some stuff as technically the state was the guardian at that point.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#35 of 39 Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 AM

Yup, put it in writing. But realistically, you are not going to get interventions put in place before the end of the school year. This stuff takes time. You should definitely set the process in motion ASAP.

However... the speech patterns you describe are not necessarily indicative of a learning disability. Half the kids in my son's class use those grammatical patterns. It's what they hear at home. As long as the grammatical patterns are internally consistent, there's no reason to assume that your DFS has an expressive language disorder.

You still need to fix it, of course, because part of your job as a foster parent is to provide the tools for increased academic success. Read good books to him. A lot. Make sure that you speak correctly to him and that every adult you expose him to is also modeling proper grammar.

Same thing with the academics. Just because he needs remediation doesn't mean he is disabled. He has probably never had an adult in his life who expected him to learn. The best thing you an do while you're waiting for the professionals at the school to do something is to get a very detailed notion of the state standards for a rising third grader, and spend a lot if time this summer helping your DFS to reach those standards. Jump Start Learning has some software that might be a good place to start if you are new to the homeschooling thing. If the problem is neglect, you may find that he makes progress very quickly.
#36 of 39 Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM

QueenJane and Smithie thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it.

Smithie you had asked how old he was, he's 8. He seems very open to me or my mom helping him but with the older brother around me shuts down and loses focus and stops paying attention. He also has started getting in trouble at school for associating with the wrong crowd and talking out of turn. We try and correct his speech at home in a positive way without breaking his self confidence (which sometime he has to much of) and make him correct himself. We really also get on both of the boys about how important it is to do your homework and to focus in school, every day when I pick them up I ask, so what did you learn today at school? And of course you know, you go to school to learn nothing!!! I have been reading to them a lot and we try to help as much as we can but sometimes we just feel we have bitten off more than we can chew and just want to give up sometimes. We've even had people throw in our faces that just because we've never had kids before, what are you doing being foster parents! Its like they think you should have already had kids before you even think about being a foster parent, but its not about who's been a parent or parent of the year, its about helping these about these kids! Sorry don't mean to go off on a tangent but thanks so much for the help and I just have to say, you ladies are awesome! Xoxo joy.gif
#37 of 39 Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM

I'm quite sure you've not bitten off more than you can chew - although you're learning the hard way that placing two siblings together has downsides as well as upsides. Negative patterns established in the home (or the last placement) carry forward. An 11-year-old is old enough to have internalized the (crazy, stupid, self-hating) notion that academic success is "acting white" or "getting all high-and-mighty" or whatever epithet you think might fit with their background. That's not a mindset that disappears overnight. 

If your 8-year-old is open to help when he's away from his brother, then homework time is separation time from now until things change. Remember to give your 11-year-old individualized attention as well - particularly from your husband. There are ages and stages where a male role just means the world to a kid. 

#38 of 39 Old 05-12-2012, 07:50 AM

The foster placement I was offered a few weeks ago wound up getting permission fro his GAL to go home joy.gif

Last night, we ran into our former foster son. He's back with his mom and has gained about 10 pounds. He was being very physically aggressive to the larger kids on the playground. I don't know what that's about and I hope he's OK. His mother said that he references stuff he did with us frequently and his memories of being in care are positive. She is thinking of suing social services for taking her kids away for a month without sufficient reason. Her nursing relationship with the youngest was irretrievable and she's very angry about that. 

#39 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

This has been such a hard long road !! I have just found out yesterday that Social Services is going to allow The baby to stay here however I must take the parents to court and gain the custody and access?. I have never heard of anything like this before. I really have no clue what this access is for ? Would anyone on here know ? As well when I get custody of her can the parents demand that I stay where I live now or can I move to another city ?

This is why I do not understand why I have to take the parents to court. It should be social services taking them to court not me to terminate there rights.

1- They took the baby from birth and placed her with me

2- They know her past and I do not

3- We are on again and off again talking to each other

I do have a lawyer , I am going to see him on Monday about this all.
But just really wondering if anyone on here has went through this at all and kinda calm my nerves down . Wow what a year this has been !!!

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page