The Wait ... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had the meeting with the social worker the other day about the baby that is in our care. The question came up about adopting her, I said oh yes of course I want to adopt her. They said that they can not say what the out come will be as it gets up in other workers hands (adoption part of C.A.S)

Although she has been with us since 5 weeks old this waiting for the answer is so hard. if the answer comes back as no then she will be removed from my home. We are the only people that this little one knows to her we are her family. She is almost 10 months old. She has seen her bio mom about 25 times since birth although my door has been open to her as we were doing this as a kinship home until she went through the process of gaining things and knowledge and have her back in her care. Poor girl went back to her old ways and now everything is back up in the air.

How do you deal with this ? How do you deal with the unknown. This happens often in foster care and wow it is hard.

Thank you for allowing me to express myself on here as I do not really like to talk to my kids about it I feel that it put fears in them and that is not a pretty site when everyone in the house is on edge .

#2 of 39 Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Oh my, I remember this feeling so well. My son came to me at 3 weeks old and it was love at first site, even though I knew that there was a reunification plan in place. It was agonizing. I can't sugarcoat it for you and pretend that it gets easier. And I remember having those same thoughts and feelings about the fact that I was the only mother he ever knew. What would it do to him to separate from me and go back to a woman he barely knew?

How do you deal with this? I can't tell you except that I just kept making it through one day at a time loving my baby as if there were no tomorrow. I held onto some wise words from a teacher in the foster education program: every day that you give your baby love and safety will always be with her and will help make who she becomes.

In my case, while I'm not a very religious person, I had a turning point when it seemed like there was some sort of higher power nearby. One night when I was lying in bed agonizing over the posibility of losing him, I resolved that I could accept whatever was best for my son. It sounds so simple as I write that, but it was a powerful experience. I just let go of the agonizing and let what would be, be. I still was afraid; I still cried; but once I realized that I had no power over how things turned out, it became easier to accept.

The waiting is awful, but the reward is so great that it's worth it and I would do it again to have my sweet, sweet son. I was able to adopt my boy at 20 months. He's six and half now and the light of my life.

I hope you'll keep posting and let us share some of this with you. Many of us have gone through it and can identify with what you're feeling.

RAISING ABEL is the story of 18 years raising a severely traumatized child. It's authored under my pen name, Carolyn Nash and can be found on Amazon.

#3 of 39 Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Hugs to you-- I think many moms here have been in similar experiences.  I hope more of them chime in. 

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 39 Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

It is a pretty scary time right now , even the phone ringing is unpleasant for us . I started this out as a kinship home however the mother does not show any interest so I had told them that I want to adopt her if that ever comes up , then they started to do the paper work that day but they can not say for sure if it will happen or not. My tummy turns thinking about it. I try to be understanding for the wait however I am not that cool with waiting by the phone .

#5 of 39 Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 PM

I have a question for you gals! I love listening (reading) your stories, it gives me alittle gleam of hope that maybe a little child wil find their way into our lives and our hopw. However I am alittle frustrated and please throw some feedback my way with no holds back! My husband and I became lisenced foster parents in January. Durng:eat the whole process or caseworker would call and try to "motivate" us to hurry with paperwork by saying oh we just got a referral for 4 yr old twin boys and 3yr old sister, or I have a 8 month baby I could send you way if you were done with paperwork and so on, you kind of get the idea. So now that we got our lisence we completely excited and can't wait for a little one in our lives and home and to take that journey with him or her and where ever it may take them, but how long are we going t have to wait! This waiting is killing us however id nver wis kids into foste care but come on I know there's kids out there that need a good home! Advice? Please?
#6 of 39 Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM

I apologize for the errors I'm typing from my phone my husbands hordi:eyesrollng the computer tonight!
#7 of 39 Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 PM

ElsieKorson: The waiting for placement was also SO hard. I remember I kept trying not to bother the education director (and heart and soul of our county's foster care group) with my worries, but then I would just have to drop an e-mail and ask, plaintively, When?  And then, that call comes and you can't believe it's really happening. I got the call for my youngest son, and 20 minutes later I was buckling him into the car seat. It was unreal and wonderful and exciting, all at the same time. Hang in there. It will happen.

babymouse:  Sweetie, just hang in. When you said above "your tummy turns" wow, that took me right back. It doesn't get easier but it will go by. I wish I had stronger words or greater wisdom to share! There are so many of us that know something of what you're going through and we are pulling for you.

RAISING ABEL is the story of 18 years raising a severely traumatized child. It's authored under my pen name, Carolyn Nash and can be found on Amazon.

#8 of 39 Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

It really helps knowing thatt people understand this crazy emotions . lol feels like I'm waiting to have the baby.. I as well love reading about other peoples experiences. 

#9 of 39 Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 PM

Othermother -thanks so much for the reply! I just keep bugging my case worker and im hopeing that the squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of effect!

Also i was going to post on a seperate thread but then thought about why not here. I was watching " Real Housewifes of Atlanta" on tv tonight (i know, roll your eyes right).These women go to south africa and visited a orphanage, it was completely moving, however it made me think, being foster parents (even though I havent had any placements yet) it truely a wonderful thing. We are taking children into our homes that need love, guidence, protection, security and truely changing their world. I mean its not like these thought havent crossed my mind before but it only really brought them to light, maybe better put, "put them into perspective." It was very moving for me to see these children who have so little be so happy and forgiving to the women, their caregivers, and the people who protect them after everything they have gone thought at their young age. (they visited a kindergarden) These children were singing and loving on these women just as if the world never have turned their backs on them. These children dont have families, homes, parents, toys of their own but yet are so resilent (not sure if thats spelled right), it just blows my mind and give me hope that my husband and I and our families can have that big of a impact on a little person out there. And provide them with a life altering experience of what it should have been like from the beginning!  >sigh< Thats my food for thought tonight, i just thought id share that!

#10 of 39 Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Elsie, that was a lovely thought and I'm glad you shared it. It's such a good thing to hold onto when you get frustrated or afraid. Even if a child only comes to you for a day, you are giving them love and a memory, no matter how small, that there is goodness in the world. Please let us know how things are working out. I'd love to share the excitement of the call!

#11 of 39 Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a a update:

Nothing really has changed ad it feels even harder right now. The babies bio mom went to for a meeting and they told her that she had betterget a lawyer. I still have not heard from them as well about anything. I really am not to sure how normal this is , I did figure out that hearing the wordds " I can't say if this is going to happen or not" has made me very scared. The other thing that is scary about this is they always forget about things, I"m trying to get her Native Status and I have to have there help in this however I have to call them non stop to get the answers of how far they are in obtaining the proper I.D . As well the Temp agreement is coming to a end so will they have a answer by hen or will they contact me whenever . It is just so confussing to me about all of this. LOL and waiting wow I have never been a calm person to sit around and wait .

Today I am going down to the court house with the bio parents to get Custody of the baby , I did mention this to the agancie and they said that it was a good idea to do this . One really good thing is that Bio mom and dad had stated in the meeting yesterday was that they wanted the baby to remain with me and not to leave my care. I know that they still have a say in this as well.

Foster to adopt is such a hard thing to do .

Thank you to everyone that has shared there stories and told me to hang in there . It helps a lot to beable to come here and read aboutother people's stories when they go through things like this.

#12 of 39 Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymouse View Post
One really good thing is that Bio mom and dad had stated in the meeting yesterday was that they wanted the baby to remain with me and not to leave my care. I know that they still have a say in this as well.

I remember all too well your feelings. Our first foster daughter they asked us if we'd be willing to adopt before she was even placed with us and of course we said yes, but it was never 100% sure until after she was with us.

The second one was foster and then they started talking if xyz happens will you adopt. We said yes again but it was hard to not know.

Our second baby her parents relinquished specifically to us which us why I highlighted what you saod above. Can the SW start talking to them about specific relinquishment to you to adopt?

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

#13 of 39 Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

They are willing only if they can not have her in there care . The workers are lookinginto everything and havecalled metoday with a few questions , they have have my past child welfare check and my oldest daughter is on that one . So that is positive . lol I am grasping for anything .   

#14 of 39 Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Please keep us updated, babymouse. 

...it made me think, being foster parents (even though I havent had any placements yet) it truely a wonderful thing. We are taking children into our homes that need love, guidence, protection, security and truely changing their world. I mean its not like these thought havent crossed my mind before but it only really brought them to light, maybe better put, "put them into perspective." It was very moving for me to see these children who have so little be so happy and forgiving to the women, their caregivers, and the people who protect them after everything they have gone thought at their young age. (they visited a kindergarden) These children were singing and loving on these women just as if the world never have turned their backs on them.

It's so amazing, isn't it? We've only had two brief foster placements, and we went into the process really strongly wanting to adopt rather than foster - but while we're still open to adopting, fostering again has moved to the top of our priority list. Both of our foster sons had some nontrivial behavioral problems (and those kids in the orphanage certainly have their own set of off-camera challenges), but yes, it's amazing to see how much a traumatized child can enjoy life, and how much genuine affection they can give, once they're in a stable environment. Nothing you have to give is wasted on them.

whale.gif

#15 of 39 Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 PM

I wish I could say the waiting gets easier, but it doesn't. Just keep posting so you can have a place to vent where everyone understands and truly feels for you.

#16 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 AM

This waiting is going to just kill me! >acts out dieing< But seriously i have been buggin my case worker every monday for over a month now! UGH! My goal I set for my husband and I last year when we started this process was to have a child in our home by easter. When we set that goal we were so heart broken because of everything we had gone through with failed fertility treatments and talking about adoption and having one door slammed in our face after another! We have learned so much since then I cant even express to you gals how much of a journey this has been, definetly eye opening and educational but totally wonderful! We only hope that this journey continues and we get a placement soon!!! I have even considered calling another agency and sayin, hey were already foster parents through "this place" and would it be crazy to also be a foster parent with you or SOMETHING!

Babymouse- It sounds like your storys totally confusing but i give you major props girl! You keep your head high and keep up the great work! Also keep us updated about what happens!

#17 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM

babymouse, I can understand how you're feeling right now. I agree with the poster who said to take each day one at a time and just continue to give your baby love. That is a gift that will last forever, no matter what happens with the adoption. I see that you're in Canada. I'm in the US, so I am not familiar with how your process works. I know that waiting was hard for me.

We were asked to take our baby when he was 2 weeks old and recovering in the hospital from a rough birth. A week later, we got to bring him home from the hospital and he has been with us ever since. He also knew no other home. He will turn 2 years old soon and we're still waiting for the adoption because of some paperwork issues. We have known for a  year that he will be ours forever, so I'm no longer nervous. We did wait that whole first year of his life, though, never knowing if he would stay or go. At first it was almost hard to allow myself to fall in love with him just in case he had to go back. Of course he's so charming that it was impossible not to fall in love with his sweet baby self, so that solved that.

There were times in the case where things looked great and looked like it was almost certain we'd get to keep him in our family. Other times the tide started to change and the birthmother started doing what she was supposed to do, legal issues looked like they would go their way.

Some kids do go back though, and that must be harder than I can imagine having not experienced it. Sometimes people find a way to stay in the child's life. Some don't. Sometimes the child ends up back because they've come back into foster care. Sometimes they don't. I've always thought it must feel like grieving a death to have a child you've raised as your own end up not being with you any longer. I guess the only thing that makes me want to keep accepting foster placements is the fact that humans are able to move on past grief even when things turn out not the way we like. I guess it's the fact that babies and children need good homes for as long as they can get them, and they deserve to be loved no matter what.

ElsieKorson likes this.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
#18 of 39 Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 PM

Well still totally frustrated and the waiting continues!! We also have discussed and have decided after much research and talking to people, to adopt. However we refuse to let our foster lisence go to waste! I had a conversation with a lady last week about adopting through their agency but i do have questions about how do i know what agency is "good." This lady seemed very knowledgable and also she was the founder of this agency and its small, its just her and 2 other part time people, she said she wants to keep it small and personable. She also mentioned, because when i called inquiring about adopting i told her we were lisenced foster parents with no placements yet, she did say she also works for another agency that does fostering and she wants to merge her agency with them. She also herself was going through the process of getting her foster lisence and she kept sayin to me, Oh id just love to steal you two for our agency. I explained to her that we want to foster so bad but also adopt outright or adopt through the foster system or BOTH! But how do I know she isnt full of crap and just feeding me a pile of crap that she knows i want to hear? Also near us we have bethany christian services that are SO well known and very good at what they do. So what is a family to do? What agency? Take a risk and go with the smaller agency and possibly switch foster lisence to them to get kids in our home or go with the well known angecy? Either way we know that switching our foster lisence would be our choice they wouldnt make us but just i guess we had a misconception when it came to foster parent needs. We thought and this is exactly what we thought, fill out a ton of paperwork (getting excited), send in paperwork to state (totally stoked), get lisence back (heavens sing and light shows through the tunnel of thinking we will never be parents), then ............ (excitement turns into a round of frustration and a few bad words) priceless lol sorry couldnt help myself! Some adivce and insight about adoption agency info would be great! Or just wise words! Always love you ladies and your words to the wise! lurk.gif

#19 of 39 Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Incompetent Housewife. I take issue with your name choice. Your essay above is beautiful and I cannot see ANY signs that "incompetent" is a good name for you. I'm so glad it's working out for you with your baby. That's such a great feeling when you know they will stay with you.

Elsie, frustration should be in the definition of being a foster-adopt parent. I know I had my share and probably drove my worker and my friends nuts when I was waiting for placement. I can't tell you much about agencies since I was a county-licensed foster parent (California) except, in my county, children who come into care, including the babies, are placed first with county-licensed parents, and only if there is no county-licensed home do they go to an agency. Maybe this is something that goes on in other counties/states, but I really don't know. If I were going into fostering with the intent to adopt, I would get licensed through the county. Make as many connections with people as you can. Get involved in any foster parent organization. Not only is it a great way to meet people and provide a service to the community, but then you know the people who will be making the placements, and they know you. Good luck with your journey.

Babymouse, any news?

#20 of 39 Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I have not heard anything yet .. will write more on this tonight . 

#21 of 39 Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All .

Well so I have a update and to me it is killing me so much.

As I think you all know or at least I hope that I have said I am a kinship home with a 10 month old baby girl. She has been with me since the age of 5 weeks old as well when she was in foster care for te 5 weeks I had 3 visits per week.

The mother has been in and out of her life since day 1 and I have to saddly admit that she was my friend until this all started. Today the father went for his appointment and he was informed that the adoptive parents of her other 2 kids have saidthey are interested in adopting this one as well and they are considering this. I am very upset about this because I have always been under the impression that I was going to beadopting her if she can not return to to her bio parents. I really want to fight this as I have always been there from day 1 as well as my kids have been there , we love this little girl with all that we are and we are al very sad to hear this. The saddest thing is that I heard it from the father and not the agency itself. I have always been honest and upfront about everything I have ever done and my intentions of my future.

The thing that hurts the most was that I wanted to have these kids all know eachother because they are family and I am a big strong believer in family. I have requested play dates with the kids and I was told no because they would be sad to know that there is another child out there that there mother does not want to take care of. I'm sitting here trying not to to cry and to be strong and trying to think of anything that I can do to keep this love doll in my care. I am also wanting a meeting with everyone involved because the dad and mom has stated to keep her in my care. The mother and father are not together and the father knows that he can not look after a baby on his own. he does not want to see this happen at all. It seems like the workers involved are wanting her here as well, they told him that they are going to be talking on my behalf. it is now all up to the supervisor someone that does not know has never met me and in the past 10.5 months has talked to me on the phone 2 times .

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do it would be so wonderful.

Right now I am getting letters from family and friends as well letters from both the bio moms and dads side of the family to say how I am with them and how I keep them involved in this all.

Thanking everyone !!

babymouse 

#22 of 39 Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM

So sorry about all this, babymouse. greensad.gif

One thing to think about with those letters - it would probably be better for the letters you ask for focus on how happy well and happy your DFD is, and how much she had bonded with you, and how much ti would trauimatize her to be taken from you - rather than on how much contact you have with the birthfamily. If your agency is considering moving your DFD to an adoptive placement with parents who are so against contact that they have even refused sibling contact between their children and your DFD, then it's possible that your agency doesn't really prioritize ongoing contact, and/or thinks it's a bad idea in this particular case. 

I'm not saying don't have contact. I'm saying, everybody needs to be smart about this and tell the agency what you think they want to hear. 

#23 of 39 Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice !! I will do that in the letters.

Update !

Today I had a case conference with C.A.S.  The file that was open in my name ( due to father of son and him living there) is going to be closed, So that is very good news for this case. They said that it was a strike against me. I did talk to my sons lawyer today when we were done and he said that he was going to talk to them for me about this as it does not malke sence to him at all.

I have talked to the mother again and the father and they are willing to go to court and sign custody over. I have to start this process so I am doing it on Monday morning.

Exciting day today . I am still going to be doing all my other plans as well , like the letters , getting a lawyer and such.

#24 of 39 Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Great update!

No matter what happens, it's nothing but a good thing that the birth parents have chosen you, and want to sign custody over to you. That's a strong first step towards a healthy and open adoption.
#25 of 39 Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM

So, IM SO FRUSTRATED!!! GRRR ... So finally we get a what seems to be a very good referral and we were so excited! The child was alittle older than what we wanted but talked it over and decided that maybe it would be a good thing, read through all the paperwork. We emailed the caseworker back within hours of receiveing the referral. The case worker emailed us back and said okay ill call you tomorrow with any questions or concerns, great! Heared from her today and we were talking and this seemed like something we could really handle especially being our first placement, she said great ill call the child caseworker and set up a meeting and then we can discuss further when the switch of foster parents can happen!!! Then she called me back well, this child has been in 4 different foster homes in a year, and no one seems to want the child and now the court is talking about placement in residental living place (group home). And i was totally blown away because none of the paperwork sais anything about 4 foster homes it only talked about 1, it never said anything about this child being placed "possibly" in a group home instead a HOME! So my frustrated totally Po'ed wondering if my agency knows what their doing question is, Is this uncommon? Is it uncommon for a angecy not to have all the paperwork straight in the way of not the "WHOLE STORY?" So now if we dont get this child are we going to have to wait another 3 months for them to dangle another child in our faces and be like," oh hey we have another referral" and we say yeah and then go," oh sorry the court has other ideas, or we dont have the story straight and their a terror child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Im so ready to go looking for another agency!!!!!! HELP! ADVICE, INSIGHT!!! SOMETHING!!!!! Cuss.gif

#26 of 39 Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Had a meeting with the agency and they informed me that they have to do a social history on my family. They are not going to look at giving the chid back to the mother now. Like always the relationship between myself and the mother is on the outs again due to her lifestyle.

one thing that is getting me very scared is that the Spw said a few times in the conversation that it may not go in my favour but he is building a case for me .

Does anyone know how I can help,get tbis case stronger ? The baby has a older sister and a older brother that was adopted and the people that had adopted them are interested in adopting her as well . 

My heart will be so broken if ir came back that the baby was leaving my home .

#27 of 39 Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

One idea would be to focus on the strong attachment that she has developed with you. A lot more folks know more about attachment than they used to and they are more aware that if they mess with the attachment relationship they are asking for trouble. So you don't want to sound as though she can't do without you, but you may want to highlight the developmental stage she is in, and how she has come to depend upon and trust that you are there for her. That she has attached to you as the only mother she's really "known" so far.

#28 of 39 Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much !! I  am going to be writing things down before the next meeting and this is one thing for sure I will be bringing up . My other worker mentioned today about the changes this love doll has brought into our lives and she thought that her being in my care was not a good idea , 11 months later she said she made a mistake by saying that . It felt great hearing that and hearing her give me advise . 

#29 of 39 Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM

Any news, babymouse? 

We got a call today for a placement that I think would have been wonderful even though temporary - but we're seriously involved in a festival this weekend that attracts 2,000 people, and it wasn't going to work to add a traumatized 7 y.o. to the family today. I said yes for Monday, and he has overnight weekend visitation with his parents, so maybe it will work out after all and he'll come to us. I love the idea of fostering a child who has that level of access to his parents and a good chance of going home soon. I think we'd be a good way station for him - and a strong advocate if it emerges that either the overnight visitation or the quick RU is not a smart move. 

#30 of 39 Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM

I've got news! After all the frustration and waiting we finally got our very first placement. We got a call for 2 boys that are brothers, they are alittle older than we had hoped but figured we had to start somewhere. We have had them 2 weeks today and it has been one heck of a ride, and holy crap let me tell you, its been one heck of a ride. They are 8 and 11 and we are a young couple and were hopeing for a younger placement but took these guys on and then as soon as we decided to take them my husband had to go away for 2 weeks with work, so i was thrown into the shark tank and had the thought of, well guess ill sink or swim! So far im still swimming and going some what strong since my meltdown on wednesday! We had them over spring break and my husband was here to help me and then that following monday he left for two weeks just in time for the "honeymoon" period to come to a startling reality of their a little comfortable now and the older one started acting out. I started questions if this is right for me, am i doing things right, i've never had kids before what the heck am i doing and lastly, can i even do this? It has been tough without my husband around but i have held on the ranes (spell check) and havent bucked off this wild ride yet. I get moments of thoughts such as yep i can do this but then reality hits when their naughty and im like im am sooooo not equipted for this. I guess I was hopeing for that instant attatchment i read about in some of the blogs but these boys are still very attatched to their family and i get compared to their grandma and aunt alot and thats kind of a blow to my ego. But i have learned to take the little things and cherish those, such as the thank you's and will you read us a book tonight. I still am learning how these kids tick and what will crack that thick outter shell they have built up over there young childhood and hopefully help them break that down to trust again. These boys have alot of bagage and i cant imagine what they have seen or been through in their young lifes but i only hope this time in our home, however long it is, will be a good experience for them and a loving one.

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page