What questions do I need to ask? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, after tons of reading and research I think we have decided on trying for a domestic adoption.  Can some of you  who have btdt give me advice on what questions to ask a potential agency and what would be your "red flagss?"

#2 of 3 Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ideally you would know someone who has recently adopted from the agency and have them recommend the agency to you because of their great experience.  I would want to know if you lose any fees if a "match" falls through, I would want an agency that has a sliding fee scale based on income-not have the fees based on race, I would want a non-profit, I would want to know how many families they have waiting and how many babies they place a year, I would want to know approximately racial breakdown, I would want good through training, I would want to know the average wait, and one thing I really liked about our agency is that they encourage the birthparents to wait 10 days to sign their rights away even though they could sign at 72 hours.  I really wanted to know that they had time to make their decision as I have given birth to two children and the first couple days are so hard physically, emotionally, etc. and that wasn't an adoption situation.  Best of luck!  I have found that agencies vary greatly.

Homeschooling Momma to DD 8 years old, DS 7 years old, DS born 03/11 by adoptionheart-1.gif , waiting for DD born 07/10 and two furry labs. Wife to my wonderful husband of 12 years.
#3 of 3 Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree -- try to find others who have adopted recently and ask for recommendations about the agency. Put the word out -- you'd be surprised at how many people you know "know someone" who adopted. I got so many referrals when we were going through the process, and they were all strangers who knew people I barely knew (like people at work, moms at the gym, etc.). Those referrals gave me even more names of people THEY knew to talk to.

And you may also want to try contacting your local foster care agencies -- they might be able to point you to local adoption agencies or private resources as well. (We found ours that way; Catholic Social Services has an Infant Adoption program here and lots of other places. And you don't have to be Catholic.)

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page