sister's baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a younger sister that would like to sign her rights over to me.  I am more than willing to do this I am just wanting to know the right way (legal way) to go about this.

Thanks

#2 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

So is it her child that she wants to sign over to you? Or is it she herself that wants to be in your care?

It somewhat depends what state you are in and what the laws are there how to go about it. Some states use guardianship only and Probate Court. Some states use Family Court for this. Do you think this will be temporary or permanent--that will make a difference as well.

#3 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Dad will also likely have to consent.

#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

This would be for my sister's baby and the father of her baby is an illegal imegrant who is now back in Mexico.

#5 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm not sure--I wonder if that means he doesn't have any parental rights??  So have you googled this for your state yet? In our state she would go to Probate Court with an affadavit that stated that she wanted to place the child with you. A judge would rule on it. This would give temporary guardianship. If she wants this to be permanent, I would think you or she would want to consult a family law attorney.

#6 of 6 Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM

You can't not involve a lawyer in this.  You'll want a family law attorney, and if you want to take the wisest course of action, you'll screen the people you call for someone who has had experience with a situation like you describe (birth father resides in a different country).  Especially if he's on the birth certificate, but to be blunt even if he's not if I were you I would not take chances and I would find someone with experience who can advise you.

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page