Help With Custody Of Stepson, No Negative comments, Or Attacks I'll Report and block - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Everything you are going through is normal, which doesn't mean that it's not incredibly hard to deal with. Your husband is having to grovel to social workers to get custody of his own child, who has been illegally and immorally kept away from him for years. He's in an emotional hell and he's reacting by shutting down. While that may be objectively understandable, it's very bad for your marriage and your family. But there's an end date to this purgatory. Once your stepson is in your home and you are mothering him, you and your husband are going to have more control over the situation and the good habits that you've built as you coparented your daughters are going to help you successfully parent your new addition. 

With regard to all the previous posts:

They really, truly are trying to assist you here and make this as easy as possible for you.  Listen to what they have to say.  Even the things you may not want to hear or don't like.  There is a lot of wisdom in their experience and it should be heeded. 

yeahthat.gif

The system is overburdened, underfunded, and sexist. If you want to get custody of your stepson, then you need to operate smoothly within this corrupt system. Rage all you want here. But take the advice, and win in court. 

#62 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know how enthused I am with the prevailing sentiment that "it's all normal, honey" which, I'm sure none of you mean it like this at all, but comes across to me like "so shut up and deal."

I don't think she's expecting too much participation from her husband. And I don't think it's useful to just blow it off like "well, he's clearly stressed too." So he's holding down a job, that's stressful, but how many of us are doing the same? It's no free ticket out. And yes, perhaps the whole custody thing has really gotten him down, but he's got all the support he wants at home, why not make it a "let's get through this together" thing instead of a "I'll just go sleep and leave you to deal with everything yourself" thing?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#63 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I don't know how enthused I am with the prevailing sentiment that "it's all normal, honey" which, I'm sure none of you mean it like this at all, but comes across to me like "so shut up and deal."

No, I did not mean that - although I understand how it could be interpreted as such.

Once upon a time I had 3 children under 7.  Things like continually cleaning up and dealing with spatting siblings are fairly typical issues.  It does not mean her husband should not help more, that she should not seek ways and help to make her load lighter - I just meant it as a way of saying "this is pretty common for this time of life."  It is hard, it is overwhelming, you are not alone but it does not last forever.  

laohaire likes this.
#64 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

And yes, perhaps the whole custody thing has really gotten him down, but he's got all the support he wants at home, why not make it a "let's get through this together" thing instead of a "I'll just go sleep and leave you to deal with everything yourself" thing?

Let's get through this together is ideal - but she cannot make him deal and "not go to sleep".

My advice upthread is more about things she can do right now to better her situation/ keep her head above water.

#65 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

what makes it so hard is i have another child besides the three i have that live with me, I got pregnant with him at 17 (he's with someone else, not my husband) when he was about 2 weeks old he was removed from my care, because half my family banded together and made up bs stories about me, and I was too young and stupid to know what they were doing and how to defend myself legally. The exboyfriend I had him with was also very physically, emotionally, mentally, well any way abusive you could possibly think of he did it. I gave up custody of him and let a close relative of mine adopt him, so that I could keep him safe from his father. But before I did, I went through a very lengthy and long court battle. It brings me back to how I felt, what I went through, and I see him going through it, and it makes me sad for both of us. I have done nothing today, no dishes, no toys picked up, I have moved from the fridge, to the couch, to the computer, and that's about it. Besides diaper changes and bottles. I broke down crying so hard i could barely talk last night to my husband about all of it, and he fell asleep on me. HE LITERALLY STARTED SNORING!!!!!!!! He thinks i have no reason to be acting like a bitch to him today.... so I have no reason to be pissed off at him... according to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttu View Post

I have been following this thread for a couple of days and after reading your vent , I simply had to say something . 

Now , just be sure from the start , this is not an attack on you or anything like that , but when I read this , I could almost feel you breaking down and crying hysterically .

You REALLY , REALLY need to take a step back and take a DEEP breath , honestly , you are killing yourself , mentally , emotionally and physically !

It is not healthy , what you are going through , for you or your kids . 

And if things are like this now , my assumption is , that things will probably be the same way , when your stepson will move in with you

He most likely went through some trauma with his Mother and everything , that´s going on , but do you really think , you are ready to handle yet another small child ?

I am in no way implying , that you are a bad Mother , or unable to cope , if you didn´t give censored.gif, you wouldn´t be on here , asking for help .

And yes , maybe your husband is working hard and this is stressful for him , but it is for you , too !

How can he , or anyone , expect you to be 100 % into this , if you are basically left out in the cold ? 

He has got to talk to you , you have to know , where things are , and what´s going on , so please , if he won´t , MAKE HIM !!

Maybe even consider some counseling for yourself , someone you can tell , how you feel . Even if they can´t take the load off you , but sometimes it helps to have somebody non - judgmental listen to you .

hug2.gif

#66 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

i feel like i'm headed for a breakdown i just don't know how to pull it together instead of going into a deep depression, like i feel like i'm heading there now... all this is just awful i can't wait for it to be over with

#67 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrascosPrincess View Post

i feel like i'm headed for a breakdown i just don't know how to pull it together instead of going into a deep depression, like i feel like i'm heading there now... all this is just awful i can't wait for it to be over with

I mean this very gently, please don't feel attacked. You need to seek counseling, because once your step son is with you, is when it will begin. There will be no "ending". I know you want him - I believe you. That doesn't mean it will be easier when he moves in with you - it will be harder for quite a while until all of you adjust (which could be months). If you find a counselor that you can talk to about your feelings, so that you feel heard, things might be easier to cope with.

I hope things get better.
#68 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

it wouldnt be bad if my husband would pull his head out of his ass and make an effort to actually be there, he doesnt understand anything i try to tell him... i know he is stressed to the max too but shutting down or bitchin at me isn't going to help him. tonight before he left for work he was holding our six month old son, i was rolling a cigarette and didnt realize he wanted me to take him, and he starts yelling and bitchin "i need to go to work, you need to take him, can you stop and put that down for a minute!!!" all he had to say was hey i gotta go can you take him, or at least be nice about it, my five minutes of nicotine outside isn't more importnant than holding my son like he seems to think it is, its impossible to know what he wants cuz he just stands there with a dumbfounded blank look on his face like i'm supposed to read his mind.. last night he sat on the couch next to me while i was crying and hysterical and trying to explain how im feeling and what is stressing the both of us out and that we need to work on stuff before our marriage falls apart, cuz im starting to feel like it's slowly falling to tiny pieces, he just looked at me and said, "i'm tired you ready for bed" umm NO i'm not ready for bed, how am i supposed to be ready for bed and want to sleep while i'm stressed that our lawyer hasn't gotten ahold of us, stressed about money, stressed about his visits and how they are going because he wont tell me, stressed about how his court crap is going because he wont tell me anything, was stressed cuz his ex was trying to start her crap but i got rid of that problem, i blocked her numbers from my phone and her email from his email address, my kids fighting constantly, my teething six month old and nothing helps, on top of trying to keep up on everything i have to do like housework, laundry, kid's dr appts, and honestly i'm worried and stressed out about what kind of problems we may face with his son i dont know what kind of trauma he has endured with his mother and her boyfriend, i dont know how he reacts in situations where things dont go his way, i dont know how he is going to react to my kids i dont know alot and its the unkown that worries me. it's stressful too trying to find someone that will trade my car for a minivan because i cannot fit four kids in the backseat of my car, three is hard enough, and there is only three seatbelts, my car has problems with it right now anyway i dont know how much longer that will be safe, or if it will even pass inspection next month, it should but never know, i feel like i have to deal with everything and manage everything on my own because he is not present, hardly physically and definately not emotionally. it's not fair.. he seems to think it's too much to ask to have a conversation with me, let alone just give me a hug and let me cry and tell me it will all be okay.. thats all i need.. i have nobody, if i call my brother in law to talk he runs back and tells my husband everything i say so if i word something wrong and it makes it sound like i'm talking crap on my husband he calls and has my husband go over there and makes it sound like i meant it negatively, i cant call my sister in law due to the same reason. I don't have any contact with my mother, sister, or brother. I have been trying to get ahold of my dad but he has no phone time and i cant get ahold of him... it's pretty bad when the only person that would give me a hug like they meant it when i was breaking down was my DOG.... I'm going to call my dr monday morning and see if i can get in because I need to do something I'm hoping they can refer me to a counselor or something because I can't function feeling this way, I need to pick myself up for my kids, my girls didn't run around and play hardly at all today they stayed close to me and cudled up on the couch with me, that's not normal for them.. I'm just so sad i dont want to get up, i dont want to move, i don't want to get out of bed, it's awful. i fought back tears all day long for my kids because my 2 1/2 year old daughter kept saying "mommy cry" and it made me feel so guilty and horrible I couldn't hold them back then she said "mommy huggie, mommy cry" im feeling so down and horrible.. i feel so worthless to my kids, my husband, just life in general... and i dont know what to do anymore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I mean this very gently, please don't feel attacked. You need to seek counseling, because once your step son is with you, is when it will begin. There will be no "ending". I know you want him - I believe you. That doesn't mean it will be easier when he moves in with you - it will be harder for quite a while until all of you adjust (which could be months). If you find a counselor that you can talk to about your feelings, so that you feel heard, things might be easier to cope with.
I hope things get better.

#69 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ah, I've been in that spot where the only person who seems to realize everything is shytty is the dog. And that is why Cow Dog is my best friend. She even talks back... if only I knew what she was saying. Oh and she licks your tears away and hugs sweetly. Call your DR, and get some rest if you can. I hope all works out for you.
#70 of 127 Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You sound like me about seven years ago. I had four kids six and under and I was a total mess. My husband was no help, emotionally or with the absolute mountains of work. I didn't get a good night's sleep for ten years, and I felt like I was going crazy from that alone. I would reflect on my life and think, "Nobody could do this without going crazy. It's like torture." Literally, a lot of my life was searingly painful. I had one friend, and she lived two hours away. I saw her once a week. I felt like a disgusting monster inside, so I was incredibly intimidated by talking to people- I thought they would see what I saw in myself, and hate me.

My husband could have seen what I was going through, and made things easier for me. He could have helped with housework on the weekends. He could have expressed appreciation for my work. He could have gotten me a glass of water when I was nursing. He could have offered to take a couple of kids out so I could have a break. He could have had sex with me. But he abandoned me emotionally, and I reached a point where I knew that even if it got easier as everyone always said, I would take that new found leisure and energy and leave him. And that's what I did.

I'm not saying you should leave your husband. I'm saying that what you're going through is not normal. Good marriages are partnerships- I know, because I have one of them now. I feel respected and seen. I can ask my partner for help, and he helps. I can tell him my problems and he listens and responds. He sees kids and housework as some of his regular responsibilities, no matter how busy he is- just like I do.

My big concern is that your family situation is overloaded with stress, and it's not functioning properly. You are a dedicated, competent mother. You yourself are a healthy influence and are just the person for this boy to come home to. But what I'm getting is that you are in a situation that is traumatizing you, and with that going on, how can you be expected to raise a stepson? It's ridiculous for the social workers to disregard your role in this situation. They are in your home, trying to make sure you are fit to care for this boy, but they don't want to share with you the details of what to expect? I would be very surprised if you can't call the social worker and tell her/him that you are the stay at home parent in the household and would like to know what to expect if dss comes to live with you.

Are there ways you can stand up for yourself with your husband that you are overlooking? I'm not talking yelling, believe me that doesn't work. But tell him that you are overworked whether he likes to think so or not, and that unless xy and z happens, dss might just be better off in foster care. You need breaks from the kids. You need help with the cleaning. You need counseling. Your whole family needs counseling, or no stepson. You will probably be able to get this kind of help from the state when he is placed with you, I don't know how it works in your state, but that's what they do here, even if the child is placed with family.

I want to recommend some books that helped me survive those years. Mother Nurture, and Siblings Without Rivalry. I also read lots of cheesy "You can do this" kinds of self help books, the positive thinking ones. I don't know if they really helped, but they made me feel better. Louise Hay is good.

Good luck, hun. I'm rooting for you. Keep on fighting the good fight!

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#71 of 127 Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

waiting until his next court date on the 19th is agonizing, the caseworker said that there is a good possiblity that the judge may send my stepson home with him that day, and that parent has priority over anyone else but i'm still kind of worried about what our odds are against his ex's parents. Her mother has completed and gotten back two clearances but from what I know her father hasn't completed any, and from what I was told from a very reliable source that her father won't pass them anyway. It's the what if factor that's really getting to me. What if my husband does not get him, how is he going to handle being told "you cant have your kid" how am i going to help him cope and how is he going to deal with it. What if we do get him, what behavior issues am i looking at, what if he doesnt get along with my kids, what if he's unhappy about being here with us, what if he doesnt like me... i know i need to stop beating myself up with these questions but i just cant help it...i cant stop...

#72 of 127 Old 04-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Waiting is so hard :(  Sending you hugs. 

I tried to post this the other day, but I was having computer trouble.  It is cliche around here to talk about takign care of yourself.  You can't be a good mom to a traumatized child (or any child) if you are at your wit's end.  Is there someone who can watch your kids so you and your husband can go on a date?

#73 of 127 Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

no there isn't anyone who can take them for me, but a couple days ago i reread my posts and started making time for myself after my kids are in bed. It's a bubble bath, shower, reading a book, reading a magazine, playing a game, or just watching tv. It has helped alot. Especially since it's almost uninteruppted. No husband, kids asleep, just me. He said we are still on for talking thursday night after the kids are in bed, so I'm hoping that goes well, I don't see why it won't but never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkingirl71 View Post

Waiting is so hard :(  Sending you hugs. 

I tried to post this the other day, but I was having computer trouble.  It is cliche around here to talk about takign care of yourself.  You can't be a good mom to a traumatized child (or any child) if you are at your wit's end.  Is there someone who can watch your kids so you and your husband can go on a date?

SpottedFoxx likes this.
#74 of 127 Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 AM

Brasco - this is an emotionally charged situation and you are at the end of your rope.  May I may a suggestion?  Write down everything you are feeling.  Just pour your heart out.  Then go back and read it in a few hours and edit it as you wish.  Try to keep accusations to a minimum and try to keep it to "I" statements.  "I felt disrespected when you fell asleep the other night."  Instead of "you are an $!$%!# for falling asleep last night".  While both may be true, he really can't argue with you when you are just stating how you are feeling.  Keep fine tuning it until it's time to talk.  Before you say a word - hand it to him and let him read it.  It's hard to fight when someone is reading a letter. It also gives you the opportunity to say everything you need to say in a constructive manner.  Hopefully, it will give him a window to what you have been going through and open the door to some real communication for you both.

I have to say, the last major blow up I had with my husband, I did this and I was able to get my needs known without resorting to yelling or talking over each other and it led to a permanent resolution to the issue.  

Good luck.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#75 of 127 Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:

waiting until his next court date on the 19th is agonizing, the caseworker said that there is a good possiblity that the judge may send my stepson home with him that day, and that parent has priority over anyone else but i'm still kind of worried about what our odds are against his ex's parents. Her mother has completed and gotten back two clearances but from what I know her father hasn't completed any, and from what I was told from a very reliable source that her father won't pass them anyway. It's the what if factor that's really getting to me. What if my husband does not get him, how is he going to handle being told "you cant have your kid" how am i going to help him cope and how is he going to deal with it. What if we do get him, what behavior issues am i looking at, what if he doesnt get along with my kids, what if he's unhappy about being here with us, what if he doesnt like me... i know i need to stop beating myself up with these questions but i just cant help it...i cant stop...

Who has the child right now, today? A foster parent? Or ex's parents?

If its a foster parent, the only reason they would not send the child home with would be to help ease the transition (foster parents jump in and correct me if I'm totally off here!), but your DH doesn't need to pass clearances - he's a parent. What I know, as a lawyer, is that parents have a fundamental right to the care and control of their children (as put by the US Supreme Court in the Catholic School Girls case), Grandparents do not have those same rights - ever. There are states that recognize grandparent rights, but they do not even come close to a fundamental right.

As for the "what if" factor - its a shitty one. I hate what if's too, and unfortunately I'm surrounded by them all time with my loose cannon ex (the most current what if is, "What if I get served tonight?"). IF your dh doesn't get your DSS, you will tell him to keep fighting. You will tell him that eventually, his son will live with him, and that he will keep fighting until that happens. You will also expect that he can handle it - he's a grown man, and he's a capable person. You can support him, but you cannot shoulder the entire burden. Custody cases are rarely short, and almost never happen exactly the way you want them to. The key is never giving up hope, and continuing to fight even when it gets rough.

#76 of 127 Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

"If its a foster parent, the only reason they would not send the child home with would be to help ease the transition..."

You are not off base about what the law says to do. You may be a little off base about what family courts in some jurisdictions actually do. They don't think much of fathers, especially nonresident noncustodial fathers. The mother's mother is a favored placement in many cases. 

#77 of 127 Old 04-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post

"If its a foster parent, the only reason they would not send the child home with would be to help ease the transition..."

You are not off base about what the law says to do. You may be a little off base about what family courts in some jurisdictions actually do. They don't think much of fathers, especially nonresident noncustodial fathers. The mother's mother is a favored placement in many cases. 

I was afraid that might be true. However, if the mothers mother is married, and her husband hasn't passed the required clearances (or couldn't, due to extraneous circumstances?), would that still be true?

Also, if it were a traditional custody battle between 2 parents (and CPS wasn't involved in anyway), the father would get custody if the mother was truly proved to be unfit. That I have experience with (grandparents aren't parties to traditional custody battles), but the foster system, and all that is not something I know anything about.

#78 of 127 Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

from what i've heard about her parents living situation and her father's alcohol problem i dont think they stand a chance in hell, but still never know..

#79 of 127 Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

yeah right now he is still in a foster home

Quote:

If its a foster parent, the only reason they would not send the child home with would be to help ease the transition (foster parents jump in and correct me if I'm totally off here!), but your DH doesn't need to pass clearances - he's a parent. What I know, as a lawyer, is that parents have a fundamental right to the care and control of their children (as put by the US Supreme Court in the Catholic School Girls case), Grandparents do not have those same rights - ever. There are states that recognize grandparent rights, but they do not even come close to a fundamental right.

As for the "what if" factor - its a shitty one. I hate what if's too, and unfortunately I'm surrounded by them all time with my loose cannon ex (the most current what if is, "What if I get served tonight?"). IF your dh doesn't get your DSS, you will tell him to keep fighting. You will tell him that eventually, his son will live with him, and that he will keep fighting until that happens. You will also expect that he can handle it - he's a grown man, and he's a capable person. You can support him, but you cannot shoulder the entire burden. Custody cases are rarely short, and almost never happen exactly the way you want them to. The key is never giving up hope, and continuing to fight even when it gets rough.

#80 of 127 Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:

This is not the case in most places. Her DH doesn't have custody of the child so he (and the OP because she lives in the home and will be caring for him) will need to be thoroughly checked out by social services. They need to make sure that he's a competent parent, that the OP isn't too overwhelmed for the child to be safe physically and emotionally) and that the home is safe. It's been a long thread so I don't remember if the OP's husband is on the birth certificate or not. If not, he'll likely have to have a paternity test. I'm a foster parent and have been on fostering boards for years. My daughter (in foster care at 9 1/2 months and adopted at four) was not automatically placed with her birth father (or ever, for that matter.)

Quote:

truth.

Hugs today. You're expectations and needs are not unrealistic, and he needs to step it up. Of course he's stressed, but working full time is SO much easier than being a SAHM!!

Something that you should ask the social worker is what type of childcare benefits you will have available to you when your step son is placed with you - you might need to use some to keep sane. There is nothing wrong with needing help, thats completely normal.

They probably won't be eligible for any child care benefits unless they are income eligible (which doesn't sound likely if her DH has a full time job.) Especially since the OP doesn't work out of the home and doesn't need childcare to go to work to support her DH's child.

#81 of 127 Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

my husband is not on the birth certificate as his ex refused it after his son was born, but he has had a paternity test about oh i dont know.. almost three years ago for his child support he is a competent parent, the home is definately safe if it wasn't i wouldn't have moved into it with my three kids. i know we don't have anything to worry about as far as what social services is going to think on our end. i'm just worried about what problems may arise while facing off against his ex's parents.

#82 of 127 Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

hubby has a visit with my stepson tomorrow afternoon, hoping it all goes well, last week it went okay but the lady supervising it made a huge boo boo, and im hoping that the caseworker doesn't take it out on my husband. For right now the caseworker wants it to only be him that goes in and last week the one supervising it invited his aunt into the visit too, when she was only his ride there because i was unable to take him because i had to take kids to the dr at the same time he had to be 20 minutes away for his visit. he said the caseworker was not happy with him but i dont see where she thinks that was his mistake will update tomorrow after his visit to see how it went, then thursday he has to go back to see about his child support, friday i have to take my 1 1/2 year old to her cardiologist (she has heart disease) and then his court date, so i probably wont get to update much in the next few days, ill try as much as i can though.

#83 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

i may not have an update as to how his visit went today. we got into a major argument this morning and now we are not speaking, who knows where this one will go... this morning my kids woke up and were extremely quiet and then i hear him screaming at me because they were downstairs, which lead to him telling me i'm a pathetic excuse and worthless so we will see...where this ends up...

#84 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

all i can keep thinking is why would he say that to me? why would he hurt me like that? why would he not care how bad that hurts me? why won't he acknowledge that im even here? is this the end of my marriage? i dont know why the one person that means the most to me would say that kind of stuff to me and make me feel like a worthless piece of shit  maybe he's right...

#85 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM

The whole thing about not letting you visit the child too is so strange to me. I get they dont want random people there, and i know with my agency they tried to keep friends, girlfriends/boysfriends etc to a minimum. But when my son's bdad had visits, he'd often show up with an entourage, his adult son and son's little boy, his sister, his cousin's..once there was three other adult men (family) and a little boy, another time it was the aunt and two little boys...they all would pile into the little visiting room and have a visit. Technically, i'd think your stepson has the right to see his sibs, at least, which are your children. I see not overwhelming him at the first visit, but if the goal is to have him move home with you, i'd think getting to know you earlier rather than later is important. Also, it seems it would be a good idea to see how he interacts with your little ones yknow? So i feel for ya that you are excluded.

You dont have to state it here, but if you are lower-income you may want to look into what kind of assistance you may qualify for, whether its free preschool, lower cost therapists, etc. My kids go to a local headstart half-days and its been really great for them. Plus its part of a larger community based therapy place my daughter attends, and they provide respite (drop off the kids to a really fun play area up to six hours/week and i can go shopping alone or get housework done or just not deal with kids for a minute! its GREAT!), they have playgroups, parenting classes, etc. Even if you arent lower-income, you could still try to find some community based activities(if you dont do that already) just to get you sort of out of the house, kids playing with other kids, you getting to talk with other moms. I'm worried you are feeling alone and overwhelmed and its probably going to get harder with the addition of another young child (one who will likely have some extra emotional needs and may not have learned healthy ways to live in a family.)

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#86 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Brascos,

I don't like hearing that things aren't going well between the two of you. People never act their best in a stressful situation, and if he is just showing his stress, that's forgivable. But if name calling and put downs are the norm for him, I would just like to point out that this is not a healthy situation. From what you say, he seems to want you to keep the kids from bothering him, at least when he's stressed. I'm not hearing about a lot of support for your role. You have a right to have your needs met, to not be perfect in whatever role you take on in your home, and to be treated with respect or at least civility.

LynnS6 and Super~Single~Mama like this.

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#87 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

all i can keep thinking is why would he say that to me? why would he hurt me like that? why would he not care how bad that hurts me? why won't he acknowledge that im even here? is this the end of my marriage? i dont know why the one person that means the most to me would say that kind of stuff to me and make me feel like a worthless piece of shit  maybe he's right...

No, he's not right. You are a mother to THREE children - all under 3 (if I'm remembering right...)!!! That is no small feat, and one that I would never willingly undertake (I'm a great mom to my one ds, but more than one would put me over the top - at least on my own!).

#88 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

So are the three children you do have, yours alone? I am sorry if I missed that detail earlier. In other words you don't have any children together? Just wondering because it is clearly more complex with the blended family issues if they are your children and not his, and now he is trying to integrate his. Sounds so very stressful. :(

#89 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

the three children that i have are with my husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post

So are the three children you do have, yours alone? I am sorry if I missed that detail earlier. In other words you don't have any children together? Just wondering because it is clearly more complex with the blended family issues if they are your children and not his, and now he is trying to integrate his. Sounds so very stressful. :(

#90 of 127 Old 04-11-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

it's just so hard because he can't acknowledge that kids are sneaky. It was my mistake at like four this morning when i knocked over thier baby gate putting my 2 1/2 year old back into her own bed because she was pushing me out of mine, and i was so tired i thought i put it back up but i didn't. i cant be the only parent in the world who's kids have ever sneaked around in the morning there is nothing anywhere that they can hurt themselves on at all, i feel that he was overreacting hugely overreacting, but being disrespectful and just downright mean, isn't okay i tried to tell him that when he came back home from his visit but it didn't get me anywhere he just stomped up the steps and went to bed, i just don't know what i did to deserve to be treated like this again... it seems like i get out of a bad abusive relationship meet my husband a few months later, and everything is great until 4 1/2 years later... i dont get what changed, we were so happy and loved to be around each other but it seems like the only times im really happy anymore is when he is at work or sleeping, not in my sight or around me at all basically. wow that makes me sound like a horrible wife.. don't get me wrong i do love him and do want to work on things and try to fix it but i cant fix something if im the only one trying to

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin'intherain View Post

Brascos,

I don't like hearing that things aren't going well between the two of you. People never act their best in a stressful situation, and if he is just showing his stress, that's forgivable. But if name calling and put downs are the norm for him, I would just like to point out that this is not a healthy situation. From what you say, he seems to want you to keep the kids from bothering him, at least when he's stressed. I'm not hearing about a lot of support for your role. You have a right to have your needs met, to not be perfect in whatever role you take on in your home, and to be treated with respect or at least civility.

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page