Uganda Adoption Process? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been looking up a lot about adopting from Uganda.
There are two different ways to adopt from there: Through residing in Uganda for three years, or through legal guardianship.

There's plenty of info about the legal guardianship process, as its the preferred wat, but can anyone tell me how the 3-year process works? I can't find full information on it anywhere and few people have done it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 AM

http://uganda.adoption.com/

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM

Hi there!

If you are living in Uganda, you can go through the court system for a full adoption after a 3 year period of fostering a child.  You would have your homestudy and social worker visits there, with Ugandan social workers, and lots of people have actually done this, I can try to dig up some contacts for you if you like... the easiest way to learn about it, though, would be to join the Ugandan adoption facebook group, throw your question out, and you'll "meet" the people who are in process while living in UG.  Have you ever been to Uganda?  We had a wrench thrown in our legal guardianship process at one point and tried to figure out how we could live in UG for 3 years to be eligible for a full adoption, but in the end we didn't need to.  It's a beautiful country, though, I can't wait to visit again, especially without the task of adopting two kids on our daily agenda!

A few things, though.... there are starting to be more domestic adoptions of young infants in UG, which is wonderful.  There is also a HUGE demand for babies and toddlers, as more and more agencies are cropping up there, and it's gotten pretty out of hand very quickly.  If you want to adopt a young baby or toddler, you might wait a while for a truly ethical situation to come up -- more and more lawyers and babies homes are willing to "find you a child" and it's not hard to get people to give up their kids there, but this doesn't make it right.  If you are wanting to adopt a special needs or child older than 3 or 4, then there IS still a need, but you still have to be very careful -- I recommend that ALL prospective families hire a 3rd party investigator right up front to make sure that the child they are referred are truly orphans, truly in need of an adoptive family.  EVERYONE interested in Ugandan adoption should check out this website and read it all thoroughly: http://a-childs-voice.org/?page_id=36   

Do you have specific questions?  I can answer some, but join the FB group, it's a wealth of info!  I would encourage you to give it a shot, if you're really interested in adopting from and living in UG, it's definitely workable, and the information is out there!  People who do it probably don't blog about it much because they have crappy internet connections, lol!

best wishes!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#4 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Ok I wasn't going to say anything because SpottedFoxx was so kind to reply to you with a link, lol, but the information in that link is incorrect -- visas are processed in Kampala, Uganda, not Nairobi, Kenya.  Occasionally if the US embassy in Kampala is going to deny your visa, they will pass it on to Nairobi for further review, but that is a rare occurrence.  I've never known of a single man to adopt from Uganda, and I can't imagine the court approving it (fatherhood is...different...in UG ;-)) but single women can adopt children of either gender.  The biggest thing to know about Ugandan adoption is that it is constantly changing, and each case is subject to the views and opinions of whatever judge your case is assigned to -- and the judges typically rotate in and out of family court every 3-6 months, so there will be some that are approving of foreign adoption for a while, and then the tide will turn, and then it will turn back with one of the 3 judges, etc.... nothing is for sure, and you have to be really flexible and mindful of making sure YOUR case is ethical -- choose an ethical lawyer, choose an ethical babies home, ask and ask and ask (the FB groups are essential!!!) other adoptive families who to work with and who to avoid.  

One last thing -- if you look at the stats on how many adoptions occur in UG on a yearly basis, it has gone from about 65 in 2010 to 2 hundred and something in 2011, and I have heard that there are upwards of 600 families hoping to get through court in 2012. yikes.

I don't want to dissuade you, especially if you want to live there for 3 years, but do your due diligence!!  

cheers,

tiffani

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#5 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM

here's a paper written by one of the judges in family court, about the dilemma courts face in granting adoption and legal guardianship to foreigners:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B408f0wQIMbNY2M5Y2ExMzgtNGQzMS00NjE3LWI3YTMtMjU5ZjFhMDIyNmIy/edit

and lastly... be prepared to not be able to enter the US with your "foster child" until you're granted your full adoption -- I have heard that it is hard for Americans living in UG to obtain entry visas for their Ugandan kiddos prior to getting that full adoption decree, because they can't take the kids into the US without legal guardianship paperwork stating that they can adopt the children in the US -- if you can prove that you're coming back to UG, you can do it, I think, but it's gotten harder for ex-pats as the number of legal guardianships have increased.

#6 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 PM

I don't know if anyone is reading this anymore, or interested at all, but I get a few PM's each week asking me about Ugandan adoption, so I'm going to keep replying to this thread from time to time to keep interested parties informed about Ugandan adoption... I don't want to be totally discouraging, and I would LOVE for more people to open their hearts to older and special needs kiddos...

but today I'm posting a link to a documentary that is coming out soon, about Ugandan adoption...

http://www.adoptionincfilm.com/

yay!

#7 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Thanks for posting updates. That will help in case someone is doing a search for this topic!

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page