DO I HAVE ENOUGH STANDING TO FILE FOR ADOPTION - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fs= initially took in Nov 2010 and returned with mom Jan 2011 Returned back to me permananately feb 2011, power of attorney signed jun 2011 then cps got involved aug2011 placement remained with me as of sept 2011 therapy every Monday

FD=is 3 intially met her in nov 2010 returned with her bio mom jan 2011 then was returned to my aunt april 2011 she then was placed by cps and remained there sep 2011, she was removed Dec 2011 placed with me. And has been here every since intense therapy and speech therapy possible sexual abuse.

Mom had since Nov but she just now starting to do her services since she is a month away from the ending court day, we have mediation on the 11th my deal is she may not be doing her services for all the right reasons which we will never know. She wasn't doing them because a YEAR later she brings a sister to try and let them give the kids to her but since I have standing and I'm considered family (even though I have no relation) the kids have a high chance of staying here.com so since her sister was ruled out she picked up on services a month before the final court hearing

I have been taking care of these kids by myself going on 2yrs now no family from dad nor mom side has contacted me about the kids nor have they lended a hand to help not christmas or birthdays not even a phonecall to check on them. Dad is incarcerated for the next 5 to 10yrs so he's out the picture. What more evidence do they need to tpr their rights

So I was told since since she showing interest of wanting to do what's right A MONTH before final hearing she could possible get more time to finish them and regardless of when she started as long as she started.

Now I was told by a CW to petition an adoption for the kids but I'm not the most wealthiest person and lawyers cost a lot of money, I just need some advice on where to go from here

Their bioMom 22 Ex-drug user has 5 kids 7yr old girl took by cps at birth 4 and 3yrs old are with me (case ongoing) 2yr old she gave a woman pcm for the 1yr old legally adopted by aunt sever case of Bipolar she abandoned her kids and left them with me and my aunt now all of a sudeen after a year she wants to come play mommy this is no part time job.

Someone plz give me advice
#2 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It might help to know what state you are in.

Where i live, Michigan, you wouldnt really be able to "petition" for adoption. The only standing you would have is that if you have the children for at least a year, that bond has to be considered too if they tried to place the kids with another foster family or with a relative. However i know in some places, like Texas, you could "intervene" and file yourself. I'm just not that familiar with the process because we dont have that here.

It seems to me the best course of action would have been to become a licensed foster parent and allow the agency/county to handle all of it, that way it wouldnt cost you anything. I assume you arent licensed since you arent being reimbursed for anything.

No one can really predict how these cases will end up. Anything can happen. Do you go to court?

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#3 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in the state of Texas, I went to the last court hearing because I'm in a different city than the mother and I don't have to attend all the court hearings only the important ones and no I'm not licensed but I did receive 1 reimbursment like a month ago. I'm not ready to take in anymore fosters and if I. Don't get these kids I think getting licensed would be purposeless because it will cause a big distress if they were to be taken.
#4 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

This sounds really, really hard, and the only thing I can think of, off the top of my head, is to request that the children have an attorney of their own if they don't already. After two years of placement when they are that young, they are attached to you most likely. They are likely to suffer a lot of psychological distress if they are moved now. Quite possibly a lawyer or a psychologist can help make that case for them before a judge.

Tags
Adoption

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page