Concerned about foster sons eatting habits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This placement is our first placement and has been one heck of a learning curve and totally stressful. Right now we have a 8 year old that hardly eats anything, he seems to be taking his anger and lack of control out on his eatting. If he gets mad, he won't eat, if he disaplined, he won't eat, or just won't eat period. He makes comments about being fat or he's hungry but when it comes time to eat he won't eat. If were having a good day, he eats like a pig but if we have a bad day he won't eat anything. My mom use to suffer from a eatting disorder as a teenager and has fought it much of her adult life and she has also made mention to him having an eatting disorder. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Any help would be great!
#2 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 AM

Not a foster parent so YMMV but after 12 hours and no responses, I couldn't not respond. I have a 16 year old like this. It started when he was pretty young. How does he drink? Would he drink some kind of a smoothie when he's in his funks? Is there any food that he particularly likes when he's not in a funk but you can keep small amounts of all the time? My ds's go to food has changed over the years but when he's in self punishment mode he also does better if not presented with an overwhelming (for him) amount of food.
#3 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM

The good news, this is completely common for kids who have experienced trauma.  They want to control everything, and no one can force you to eat.  Since it is common, there are theraputic ways to help.  You figured out the bad news, it is obviously unhealthy.  It sounds serious enough that I would discuss a specialized therapist with the social worker.

Another thing (he is eight, so hopefully he is somewhat communicative) is that familiar food can be comfort.  Do you have any sense that along with all of the other changes, they type of food you are offering him is a drastic change from what he was used to?  If he was used to a diet of fast food or junk food, or food of a different ethnicity, he may just be having a hard time.  Obviously, you want to keep your foster son healthy, but you may want to consider a sort of "transition diet."

#4 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Elsie, how long has he been with your family?

#5 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Pumpkingirl- He is use to eatting pizza hut, mcdondalds, and tacobell, and we hardly ever eat at those places. I talked to his mom about it a bit but the only advice she could give me is, he loves veggies, but even then if there is a behavioral issue before dinner, NOPE I'M NOT EATTING even though haf hour ago he was raiding the kitchen for snacks. Its very frustrating when I cook a nice meal in hopes I'll hear.. oh this is awesome but that's a slim to none chance unles its tacos or nachos.

Lauren- He's been with my husband an I since the week before easter. Since we've brought him and his brother home, his brother has been removed from our home due to physical threats to me. So that's another issue we've been dealing with, with this little guy. He seems to think, well if I'm naughty they will kick me out too, which we've told him isn't the case and even last night he brought up the infant adoption program were going through right now and asked if we were going to adop him but 99% of the time he hates us and our home! He' so up and I wish I could fix it for him, hesa a skinny little guy and I wish he would just put somemeat on his bones.
#6 of 6 Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 AM

We had a 4 year old foster dd who had a issues around eating and would often not eat very much at first. She was an emergency placement with us, we were 19 & 21 years old and had NO IDEA what we were doing and no support or training from DCF, so we were just kind of winging it. There are so many things I wish we had done differently when I look back but anyway... She transitioned pretty well, had hardly any behavioral issues with us, and her daycare was amazed at how she quickly became much happier and had better behavior once she lived with us, but it seemed like all her anxieties came out in how she ate. I think 2 issues were at play for her. 1) Our food/eating habits were not at all what she was used to, and 2) She had too much anxiety /stress to eat, even though she didn't show it in other ways. We all know the feeling of being too stressed out to eat, I think she was experiencing that. Also so little in her life was under her control, I understand using her food as a means of controlling her life at times. 

For the second thing there wasn't much we could do other than try to help her adjust and so on, for the first thing we basically just fed her what she was used to. We had never, ever gone to Burger King, we started bringing home kids meals for her all the time. Everything had changed so much for her, it was better to feed her unhealthy food and have at least that little bit of consistency. Also she had been used to cooking her own food, using the stove herself, etc, and she actually really loved to cook, so we started doing a lot of cooking together, & involving her in choices of what we were going to make. She was used to just getting food for herself whenever she felt like it not having meal times. We would all sit down to dinner together, we would offer her each food but if she didn't want to eat (she pretty much never did at first) we wouldn't comment on it, we would just save her food and offer it to her again every half-hour or so. Gradually we transitioned to eating meal times, but at first we would just focus on sitting together, then if she didn't eat we would let her eat later and not make a big deal out of it.  We did "mainstream kid" type meals, she pretty much would only eat hot dogs, pizza, mac and cheese, happy meals and everything with chocolate milk to drink. She only ate strawberries as a fruit and carrots with ranch dressing as a veggie so that's what she ate at every meal. As she got more used to us and our food we gradually upgraded to healthy versions, like Annie's whole wheat Mac and Cheese, organic turkey dogs, pizza with veggies, and so on. 

It sounds like 2 very different kids but maybe this will help a little. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page