Questions about childcare and foster adoption - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I've been lurking for a LONG while on this board while we are still in the process of deciding whether we want to foster to adopt. We are in Alameda County in Oakland, California.

My biggest question has always been what do people do if both parents work full time? Our son is now about to start Kindergarten and we have the idea that we would foster adopt a child younger than him. But...how do people have childcare ready to start when a child is placed with them? And with the uncertainty of possibly not having that child forever, how do you handle that with the daycare?

I think my work would be supportive of my taking some family leave to bond with the child, but it's hard with the uncertainty of timing and whether the child will stay with you.

How do you handle this?

thanks,

-Anne

#2 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 AM

I didn't do foster adopt and I only have one but... my employer knew about our adoption from the day we started it.  They were incredibly supportive.  The timing was sketchy but we had a general idea when we'd be bringing our son home.  I took 6 weeks leave with him and then he has been in day care ever since.  

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

In my county, the department of family services will give you a list of recommended daycare facilities. These are not necessary great places so check them out yourself thuroughly. Some are fine, others arent. But my point is that they're places that are familiar with foster kids and they have rates/plans that make sense for foster families (eg. very flexible from week to week - they understand that the kid might need to be pulled out part of the day for therapy or court and brought back, that's not a problem for these daycares). Also, in my county, if the foster parents both work outside the home and have proof of that, then daycare is deeply discounted.

We don't qualify (we work from home) and so we just found a preschool that we really like. We use part of our foster stipend to pay for it. It is not very flexible (they have to be dropped off and picked up only at certain times, can't change the days they go to school, etc) and the new preschool is more expensive, but we weren't entirely happy with the flexible daycare facility we tried and we like this place much better. You'll just see what works for you. Depending on where you live and other circumstances, you may have great options.

I can't help you about taking time off work to bond. For us, we make our own schedules so that wasn't an issue. But I can recommend that you only accept placements that sound like they're going to go to adoption. That way you'll only have to take off work once or twice, hopefully.

#4 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM

I work at a daycare, and here in San Antonio only certain daycares are rated to take cps cases. We have had a lot of foster kids come through since I have been there

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page